Property Agents

Hello,

I am new to this property and having it in the hands of property manager. I originally purchased a home in Petrie with the full intention of moving into it - relocating from Darwin but due to an illness with my elderly mother, I have had to delay my move and have the property rented out until next year.

The plan is to move into the house before my settlement anniversary to recover some of the stamp duty money I paid.

My Property Agent/Manager at times seem to be working for the tenants than me. I try to be a good land owner and be reasonable with any repairs that need to be done but some of the cost have been quite high hence I have resorted to getting my own tradies.

I come to this board to ask for your advise on a matter which I not sure if I am taking it atad too serious or not.

Tenants moved into the house ANZAC weekend.. Had a few requests for this and that to be attended to.. minor maintenance stuff nothing big and more than willing to fix.

Around the 18 May, I had a request to have the kitchen sink seen to as it was blocking which I had some concerns as part of my processing of buying the house and not wanting to have any surprises, I had an individual plumber to come in and put camera up/down all my pipes to ensure not nasty surprises after purchases. Also for four week of getting the place sorted for rental, I had family and I at a time were working at the house and had no drama with the sink. I accommodated the request and the plumber fixed the problem without any problem with using a plunger and unblocking the sink.

Three weeks ago (Mid July), I get another request and amongst the associated problems that the tenant reported, again the kitchen sink is blocking again. When I tried to discuss the issue with the Property Rental Manager, she did not see to be listening to me when I tried to explain that something was amissed with the sink, as I knew my drains were okay because of the pre sale inspections.. I suggest that the tenant must being putting something down the drain which she shouldnt. I was told the problem was I did not know the history of my drains being a new owner and in all the 10 years she had never come across an tenant doing such a thing.

I was abit PPPPPPeed as you can imagine by this time and I do not have a money tree in the back yard nor as I the Reserve Bank, I went back to the plumbers who did my pre sale pipes inspections and asked them to investigate to see what the problem was..

Their reply was:...........Found sink blocked. Removed trap and found alot of food scraps in trap. Cleaned out waste and refit. Put chemical treatment down drain, allowed to activate then flushed through. If food scraps and grease are continued to beput down drain this treatment would have to be repeated.
I take the issue back to the Property manager, no apoligy or that not right shock horror.. I ask that the tenant be written to and informed of the finding and put on notice that any other problems with the sink will be her responsible and she will be required to pay for repairing it..

Today I get a copy of the letter from the PM and it sounds so passive to me.. I expected it to be more definite and forceful.. but being new to the game of property owner/renting out, I might have the issue.. Hence I am posting this post seeking your advise regardless...

The letter goes like this:

We wish to advise taht during the plumbers recent visit to the house to make repairs to the plumbing issues as reported to us by yourselves, it was noted by the plumber that the blockage in the kitchen sink was caused by food scraps and grease. We have attached a copy of the plumbers report to the owner for your reference.

We wish to bring this to your attention in hope that you will refrian from putting food scraps and oil products down the sink.

If I could suggest that by saving empty cans and jars you would be able to use them to dispose of unwanted kitchen waste with no mess.

If the kitchen sink does require un-blicking again and it is due to kitchen waste, the owner may choose to pass the cost of the plumber onto yourselves.

Thank you for your assistance and co-operation with this matter....

Where I am sitting, there is no may or doubt about it, I would be passing the cost of it on to the tenants.. The fee of getting the plumber out to put the camera down the drain again to ID the cause and then clearing it..

I just feeling abit pee that she was not more direct and less passive in saying hey guys, duty of care and all that..

I do not know if I am overreacting... I feel like emailing the PM and saying there is no maybe about it.... AHHHHHHHhhh maybe I just let sleeping dogs lie hey??

blocked sink

Dear Sea Breeze,
I am sorry to hear about your Mums ill health, It can make all these kind of things harder.
Just to separate the heart strings, from the business though, I don't know the wording of the Queensland lease, but there will be a clause somewhere in there which states, (something in the negative) 'The tenant agrees to do nothing which will damage the premises' (or a positive spin)' the tenant agrees to take care of the premises'
They will be in breach of the lease. They signed a legal document which says they agreed to look after the it!
You DO want your property manager to be the mouse who roared like a lion!
.please do! email the PM and saying there is no maybe about it...
Good Luck
Seaford Sunshine

Pass the cost onto the tenant - as you have evidence of it being their responsibility.

Sack your PM and get another. This one will cost you a fortune.

Send the bill to the Licensee of the business advising them of the poor service received from their PM and place them on notice.

Remember that you paying for service and expect them to act on your behalf in a professional manner.

Hello Seebreeze,
I work in PM and find that totally ridiculous. The tenants should have been told at the time, that if the plumber found that the blockage was to have been caused by something that they were doing then the invoice would be sent to them for payment.

Can't help but agree with all the above. The PM is supposed to be acting for you. The bill should have already been sent to the tenant. You can't be expected to pay for the tenants misuse of your property. This is clearly stated in my PMs lease documents to the tenants. I would be on the hunt for a PM that is going to act in your interests.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your opinions.

I have gone back to the plumber to work out the portion of the bill that related to the sink job being fixed and also part of the call out fee.

I am locked into a three month contact with my PM group so am intending to give them three months notice by letter and having it AP delivered with certified postage so I get it signed.

Can I ask you something else??

Was I suppose to recieve a copy of the entry inspection report when the tenants moved in?? I did get a copy of the tenant contract signed but had to ask months later for this inspection report which was provided..

Also, the first of the tenancy inspections were done in the last part of July, do I also get a copy of that?? So far it has not come... They were scheduled for the 15/30 of the month.

I am so right out of my depth with this PM business..

Am I right in thinking as I have hired them, they are suppose to advise, direct me in the best position in matters.. abit like your accountant or financial advisor?? eg once I had reported what the findings were of the kitchen sink, she should have advised me that get the costing and we will present them to the tenant??

I just want to know that I understand exactly what the PM does so I can have a serious whinge to them when I am advising of my intention of my contract with them, three months period.

Seabreeze

Do yourself a huge favour and on the state govt website is the Residential Tenancies Agreement for rights for both Renters and landlords. Please have a read of it!
Then start to have a look for a new PM but atleast you will understand the rules when something like what you have mentioned occurs

Jezza

I just want to know that I understand exactly what the PM does ...

This is laid out in the contract that you signed with them - the Property management Agreement - go and have a good read of it.

If your PM has been negligent, you can take your grievances to the tribunal as well - they don't just do tenants Vs LL, they do LL Vs PMs as well.

I'm with PropertyUnity.

Sit down with the Licensee to advise them that they are in breach of the agreement and tell them what you what to do in writing.

Have a list of all the information that you require from the

- full copy of the lease
- copy of the checks for the tenant
- copy of the ingoing checklist
- copy of all correspondance

and have an end date that suits you to leave them.

Rememember to ensure that there are no utilities or like sending invoice to the agent and ensure that you leave no monies with the agent.

Any outstanding invoices are to be issued to you for payment.

Stand up for your rights.

what Pm has "never heard of tenants putting stuff down drains" that is silly! it happens all the time! Teabags in drains, femine products in drains, soap etc in drains... in my time as a pm i can recall plumbers pulling out the folllowing items:

* a large shell
* a makeup compact
* a deoderant bottle
* a dildo!!!
* numerous teaspoons & teabags
* plastic bags

basically people put all sorts of things in drains.

As has been said before on the second occassion the tenants request should have been immediately met with a comment from your property manager of - if it is found to be your fault you are paying!

PMs are generally required to notify you an inspection is coming up and invite you to go along if you wished. Most owners dont. but regardless, you are entitled to copies of inspection reports. It is YOUR property so YOU are entitled to know what state it is in. The PM is only managing it on YOUR behalf.

In future, when you sign up with a new PM, if their agreement says you need to give 3 months notice to terminate, cross it out and put 4 weeks notice (MAX). Tell them that's what you will agree to and they will not throw up a fuss as they want your business. It's crazy to lock yourself in for 3 months but I know why it happened in your case as a lot of PMs these days would write on the agreement 3 months, but all it takes is for you to challenge it and you'll get a fairer provision. It's all part of the learning experience =)

Good luck!

I hope your PM made the tenants pay.

Last week tt called me - my smoke alarm is going off...ok talk her through a lot of possibilities, do this, that...no, it's still going off....hmm....

request electrician (only serviced a few weeks ago) to contact and verify problem...eventually electrician attended - tt had not yet unpacked smoke alarm from previous property, in box on ground going off....not ours.

I call TT, Hi TT, got invoice - found problem - please pay them - not owners fault. Thanks.

in my time as a pm i can recall plumbers pulling out the folllowing items:

* a large shell
* a makeup compact
* a deoderant bottle
* a dildo!!! WHAT...!!!!:eek:
* numerous teaspoons & teabags
* plastic bags

basically people put all sorts of things in drains.

To the root of the problem....pardon....There is just way too many threads and evidence on here related to incompetent PM's.....it's no wonder there are many of us who wish to take control themselves...and do a far better job I might add...

I hope you get this sorted out soon.

This is outrages.

Under the Queensland act 188 Tenant's obligation Generally, point number 2 it stated that "The tenant must keep the premises and inclusions clean,
having regard to their condition at the start of the tenancy."

So if your sink drainage was in a good conditional initially, then it is their responsibility to maintain it that way. If they cause the crap to stuck in there then they have to remove it.

I normally fix leak toilet washer or block drainage while renting and never ask the landlord to do it.

Back