Property built over sewer line

Hi everyone

I am interested in a villa built mid 1970s (ie 40 years old), however it was built over a sewer line in the sewer diagram (see attached). There is a letter from Sydney Water in the contract stating that the villas were built over the sewer with Sydney Water's approval, but there are no details (Sydney Water stated in the letter that it only keeps records for 25 years).
I have a few queries:
1) Would concrete encasement of the sewer have been used 40 years ago? Is there any way I can find out from the diagram or somewhere else?
2) If the sewer needs repair for any reason, would Sydney Water bear the costs or would the strata for the villas have to pay the costs?
3) Would this affect the potential resale value for this property? (the property is a block of 6 villas, the sewer line runs under the adjacent villa to the one that I am looking at).

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer, would be much appreciated.

Here is the link for the sewer diagram image:
http://postimg.org/image/gs8aluip5/

Ask your lawyer - don't tell me you haven't got one or a using a conveyancer!

What does the letter say?

Have you spoken to council?

Hey Kendo

If you go a Quick Check agent such as Reece Plumbing they should be able to show you their system and whether the pipes are encased.

As the property has been built over the pipes, the strata will in most instances bear all cost.

Won't answer point 3.

2) If the sewer needs repair for any reason, would Sydney Water bear the costs or would the strata for the villas have to pay the costs?
[/url]

If it was in Melbourne the Water Authority would bear the cost of repairs so I don't know why it would be different in Sydney. (90%, or more, of all sewer repairs are carried out by remote techniques rather than excavating)

Hi Kendo
re resale value. We walked away from a similar property (built over a sewer line) in Sydney a few years ago - after doing the sums and talking to the council and our lawyer. Limited potential; difficult to sell if you have to one day compare to others; higher risk; low capital returns; limited number of buyers ........
AYK

Hi everyone

I am interested in a villa built mid 1970s (ie 40 years old), however it was built over a sewer line in the sewer diagram (see attached). There is a letter from Sydney Water in the contract stating that the villas were built over the sewer with Sydney Water's approval, but there are no details (Sydney Water stated in t
Here is the link for the sewer diagram image:
http://postimg.org/image/gs8aluip5/
This is only a opinion,,but from my experience the line might be box up in concrete around any of the inspection holes in that line plus inside the slabs,the rest are mostly set in drainage gravel and backfilled,,a lot were and still are set-up in inner Brisbane like that plan,if you are worried go see a Solicitor,rather then spend nights worrying CG risks..imho..

Back