Property Development Course

Hello Folks,

Any guidance on this will be much appreciated.

Im very keen to become a property developer and wanted to learn more about it and have found two courses that I am considering:

1) Urban Development Institute of Australia - Property Foundations course
http://www.udia-nsw.com.au/resource/Property Developers Training Program -part1.pdf

2) Property Council of Australia - http://www.propertyoz.com.au/
Go to Events and Services > Professional Development > Property Development. There are 3 levels in the course - Essential, Advanced and Diploma

Has anybody done these courses ? Which one do you recommend for a novice who wants to become a full fledged developer ?

Does anyone know of any other courses ?? PLEASE HELP !!!!

i haven't done any of the courses, but i know that both organisations are held in high regard within the property industry.

based on my own observations I find the Property Council more active than UDIA, and have heard excellent feedback about their courses.

Hi Kabutar,

Ya might wanna check out Residential Developer Magazine - which is published by the Property Council. Maybe go and see them and have a chat as well? See what you think of the people running the show.

Mark

I will like to know if anybody has done these courses(esp. the Property Council one) and if they found it useful and valuable for Residential Development purposes.

There seems to be a lot of stress onthe commercial which i may not be interested in.

Any comments/opinions welcome...

I was contemplating doing the diploma course for property development until I found out it is a 3 day course. Thousands of $$ for 3 days, ask yourself how much could you possibly learn in 3 days?

I was contemplating doing the diploma course for property development until I found out it is a 3-day course. Thousands of $$ for 3 days, ask yourself how much could you possibly learn in 3 days
That’s exactly right. What do they think they are 'Cashing In’; they don't want people to learn. As you would learn next to nothing in that time.

I'm curtain I know more then what you would learn in that course in three days. That's not to say that I am a no it all, I would be first their to do the course but at the ridiculous price just would not and could not do it.

And they want us to be learning :confused: . What is the exact price of the courses and is their any in Queensland. I'm in a position to do some study particularly with the situation I'm in with a healing broken hip and doctors orders to lay or sit and do office work on the Laptop and light duties for a while, it appeals to me to do the course.

If I didn't do it, can you find out if one can buy a second lot of the 'in house' course books that I could perhaps read and study, without actually participating in the coarse? Or do you have to pay full access the course and then receive on lot of course books and notes instructions etc.

I did a Building & Construction Painting & Decorating course over 4 months witch we learnt the process of building a house and that involves pretty much everything to do with the same title of Property Development. It was very in-depth and 50/50 theory practical work where we build a mini house that they call a Cubby Hut.

I think three weeks to a month is a better length of time for a Property Development coarse. Thank you for putting the information up and with the situation I'm in you have presented a good idea and I would jump at doing the course with bells on if all the stars aligned right.

Good luck with it and keep us informed. If money were no drawback for you then I would agree you do it.

Last edited:
These are the fees for the Property Council of Aus development course that I was cosidering.

Course fees EARLY-BIRD RATE STANDARD RATE
(please tick) Member Non-Member Member Non-Member
Essential Skills $1155.00 $1364.00 $1255.00 $1464.00 (2 days)
Advanced Skills $1925.00 $2299.00 $2025.00 $2399.00 (3 days)
Diploma $1925.00 $2299.00 $2025.00 $2399.00 (3days)

Apparently if you already have certain experience you can go straight to the diploma otherwise tou must do all three.

Not sure what a membership is worth but thats a total of $5962 (early) or $6262 (standard) for 8 days tuition.

When I first heard "Diploma" I thought maybe 3 to 6 months full-time study, then I would definately consider it. 6k for 8 days, not in a million years!

Those self paced property development courses with the workbooks and cd's for $500 (mentioned in previous threads) are looking more attractive.

Bernard

I think it is priced for those that have the money to spare, such as working builders etc that may not notice it out of the back pocket. OK fair enough if they have studied their student market and know that most can afford it and they are still getting the attendances with that price.

But what about fairness to say student rates, is there a pension rate or is there any Center link special circumstances for payments as well. It is very much to high a price for a 8 or something day course the information does not even hit home in such a short time three months at that cost would be more like it. And that should include three weeks work experience in the field.

The course I did, as far as the notes and book work I could have done in three weeks it was not to difficult and all the answers we're in the book provided, it's was all a competency based if you didn't get through a section you had another go.

Just the books would be good but the pass result which would not be to supper difficult as well, as all that's involved is not that difficult anyway, a lot of it I have a good general knowledge of anyway. So really is you have a bit of on the ground knowledge it goes a lot further then this theory work anyway because most times the theory even when doing just the Building Pre-App we did, was totally different when we went out in the field. The theory often goes out the window.

That's not to say that I would still like to do the coarse I would turn up with bells on. Should be longer though. That building and construction one we did was about $410 all up and got a 'Learning not earning' payment from the government which actually turned out they paid me $14 a fortnight to go to the coarse for the four months.

Doing this coarse is not to dissimilar to Developing, lot of builders go developing, it really is the same you go and build a house or two houses or a block of flats on a block of dirt.

A builder is central and coordinates everything that a developer does on the ground from organizing electricians, plumbers, surveyors, architects and anything else down the line, in fact a builder is more or less a developer that's why it is easy and often a builder realizes once he/she knows the industry well enough that them becoming a builder/developer gives them a bigger paycheck then just working a employed Builder for some construction company.

If you are considering doing a development, you could potentially lose alot more than $3000 in course fees and think doing a course would be worth while. You would be suprised how much stuff you do actually learn through an instructor led course than runs for a whole day.

I've done plenty of short courses for 1 week for IT and other topics, at the end of the week I know alot more than when I started. Even if you don't learn everything you will be supplied with further reading.

Development could potentially bankrupt someone and a few thousand in course fees is not unreasonable.. Not sure how much you people expect to pay for courses?

I agree with FrankG

If you don't know what your doing in a development you could lose 10's of thousands of $. Not only that consider that the potential contacts you make could be invaluable in the future and could also indirectly save/make you a lot of money. What ever decission you make all the best with it.

Angelo:)

Yeah, but you walk up to them and tell them that you will pay them for the course when you save those dollars on the development and make them dollars, they will not do it.

Nor will any of the guru's back there products. So what's that say about them.

You can't go on about justifying paying for things for products all the time. I could go up the phone box and make a call that will make me 50k down the track maybee 100k buy ringing someone up the right person and organizing something and it will have cost me nothing.

It's tutoring the same as anything else on any subject why isn't it reasonable in price they are cashing in and I don't justify there prices.

From what I can see the grad Dip doesn't actually teach you anything practical or trade wise...just more market analysis, budgeting, cost analysis etc

If you studied introductory accounting subjects you would possibly know how to calculate these figures already? If not, wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy a property investment analysis software where you just have to enter all the figures and it produces the reports for you? or even cheaper would be kindly ask somersoft members for their excel spreadsheets?

I think you gain a lot more from experience in property development. I build one or two houses a year with 4 years experience and have a good track record.

I have learnt a lot about what is profitable and not, what over capitalizes, where to source best price ( Ithink the most important one), borrowings, a contact list of reliable trades people etc

It's funny someone mentioned Stockland as we've bought a number of blocks from them. My ex tenant is the Head of Finance in Stockland (or something like that but has quite a bit of authority). You would think that he would have access to reserach reports, the projections for the estates, planning etc yet when it came the crunch time to buy......he bought a block of land from rival Australand!!! I mean this guy can get staff discounts!

If you do the course just to get a job with these major developers then it's a good idea but otherwise it's not too good to know a lot of one particular area i.e analysis. You need to be an all rounded developer and cover all the areas even the minute parts of property developing. Th emore you can do yourself the more money you can make.

I would say do a electrician course, you would save a few thousand per house doing electricals yourself.

I would say do a electrician course, you would save a few thousand per house doing electrics yourself.
Yep and surveying is another interesting feather to have in your cap.

Bill of Quantity studies would be good because at the end of the day it's what you buy and what you spend it on will make the big difference in how much you can save with finishes etc, so another.

This is done in Architecture I was enrolled and accepted in Geraldton starting about now, but circumstances changed and I travelled one side of the continent to the other. Little bit to far away to do that coarse now.

I would say do a electrician course, you would save a few thousand per house doing electricals yourself.

It must be different in QLD but to become an electrician down here is a 4 year apprenticeship and to do electrical yourself otherwise is a huge no no.

Isn't there some kind of electrician course that you can do just so you can do some handy work around your house...not for profit.

My bro in law in UK got some tips off a friend, read some materials from the net then installed all the light fittings in his new house inc switch points etc. Apparently, it's very easy to do. Just the basic stuff.

My friend installed a projector on the celing himself. I think it would cost over $100 to call out an electrician.

Wished I knew how to do these things.

Back