Property for retirement

I am considering buying an apartment/unit in Melbourne for future retirement use.

I want to find a location where:

1. I can do away with my car and rely on public transport.
2. Near shopping centres/markets where I can do my daily shopping conveniently.
3. Near gardens or parks where I can do my daily jogging.
4. Is it true that the best orientation for a home in Australia is North East?

It seems that most inner city apartments do not have big shopping centers and those suburbs having big shopping centers do not have good parks. Where can I find both? Am I too picky?

On the limited info provided, my first choice would be Hawthorn.

Something in a quiet side street, but close enough to Glenferrie or Auburn train stations. Parks are second to none, shopping/amenities are pretty decent.

Rgds, Chris

I am considering buying an apartment/unit in Melbourne for future retirement use.

It seems that most inner city apartments do not have big shopping centers and those suburbs having big shopping centers do not have good parks. Where can I find both? Am I too picky?

Do you have any preference of which area of Melbourne to be close to family/friends? What about budget?

North, East or West can all be good orientations, depending on the floorplan and neighbouring properties.

Really depends what you want Lots of people don't like Footscray, but we downsized here 2 years ago and love it .

2-3 minutes walk to Station, Market, Maribynong River Trail, Coffee Shops and Loads of inexpensive restaurants.

As far as orientation anything Northerly facing can be a problem unless there is good window shading (often not possible with many apartments)

Well, I am about three years to retirement. Budget will be around 600k to 800k. So maybe Hawthorn is out of my reach. I have no preference for any particular area. Just want to have a quiet and healthy retirement life. I have not thought of Footscray before. Maribynong River Trail sounds attractive. but is it a bit hustle and bustle?

Hi Annmak, have you thought about Brunswick which is 5km to the city? It's got a village-like atmosphere, its denizens are very tolerant of diversity, has trains, trams, buses to the city, close to hospitals like Royal Melbourne and Brunswick Private, close to parks, Merri Creek reserve and Royal Park, and a great variety of food from fine dining to takeaway to fresh and organic produce, with specialty shops like CERES organic cafe and fair trade cocoa & coffee beans

Well, I am about three years to retirement. Budget will be around 600k to 800k. So maybe Hawthorn is out of my reach. I have no preference for any particular area. Just want to have a quiet and healthy retirement life. I have not thought of Footscray before. Maribynong River Trail sounds attractive. but is it a bit hustle and bustle?

For that price you can get a very nice apartment overlooking over the river with city views and no hustle and bustle.

Another 3-4 mins from the market and station but a cafe on the doorstep.

what is the street you have in mind?

Moreland St / Wingfield St Area (Our apartment overlooks Wingfield St but is nearer the Station)

For the sort of money you are talking about you could have bought the 6th Floor penthouse in our block 3 months ago.

That's interesting. Thank you very much for the info. I have not thought of Footscray before and don't even know that there are properties near the river.

Inner East and Inner North East covers all your criteria and you should find something in your price range, as well as aged gardens and parks, multiple jogging paths and bike trails and shops.

Hawthorn already mentioned and would be pretty good locale.

Something near Kew Junction might be ideal for shops and transport & you can always get the bus 2-3 suburbs up into Doncaster Shoppingtown for the cinemas and a big shopping centre. It also has the river the Studley Park Boathouse, and the river trail and is a green wedge.

However, with timing and a bit of luck you never know what you can find that suits: http://www.realestateview.com.au/Real-Estate/8-vale-street-east-melbourne/Property-Details-buy-residential-6976601.html

Hi annmak,

I think either Parkville or Brunswick would meet your criteria, something in the area around the intersection of Royal Parade and Brunswick Road. You'd have:
1. The tram line on Sydney Road/Royal Parade and Jewell train station for public transport.
2. Barkly Square is a nice shopping centre very close to the Royal Parade/Brunswick Road intersection, and it has a Coles and a Woolworths as well as a number of other shops and a few places to eat. Sydney Road also has an excellent selection of restaurants in my opinion.
3. Princes Park and Royal Park are great for jogging, they are my favourite places to run except for the botanical gardens. Also, the Capital City Trail runs though Princes Park and it's great for running and cycling. Parkville/Brunswick are around 5-6km from the city, but with the parks and the land around the zoo, they don't feel as claustrophobic as some other inner city areas.
4. I'm not sure about which orientation is best so can't help you there.
5. I'm sure you could get a nice 2 bedroom apartment in that price range. We looked at a two bedroom apartment at 459 Royal Parade a few years ago and it was quite nice, although being on Royal Parade I'd imagine there could be a bit of noise from the trams and cars. Using that as an example of above average quality apartment and building, a 2/2/1 there recently sold for around $645,000.

Good luck!

So kind of you all giving me so many valuable suggestions. There appears so many "gems" in the inner city areas. It does broaden my scope of choice!

Hi Annmak, I was talking to my architect today and I was asking him if he knew of suitable apartment developments for my cousin who is looking in Melbourne and Brisbane. I casually mentioned your case where you are looking for

I can do away with my car and rely on public transport.
4. North east orientation

My architect's designed for a developer who is building a boutique development of 14 residences in Brunswick, construction starting in July 2014. The site is north facing, 200m to Barkly Square Shopping Centre which has Coles, Woolies, cafes, short walking distance to 2 of the best parks in Mellbourne, Royal Park and Princes Park, and 2 smaller ones, Hardy Gallagher Reserve and Barkly St Park. You will also be close to Carlton Bowls Club and the Royal Park tennis courts.

There are also more foodie cafes tucked away on little streets in this area than you can poke a stick at. Royal Melbourne Hospital close by and you will be next to one of the most expensive and exclusive streets in Brunswick.

I checked the walkability score from walkscore.com and it says:

XXX road Brunswick has a Walk Score of 90 out of 100. This location is a Walker's Paradise so daily errands do not require a car.

This location is in the Brunswick neighborhood in Melbourne. Nearby parks include Barkly Street Park, Hardy Gallagher Reserve and Hooper Reserve.

PM me if you're interested. Because you're going direct to the developer instead of through the agent, my architect says a better price can be achieved. Cheers!

Hi annmak,

Have you considered the dandenongs?

Eg:The Patch,Belgrave,emerald,gembrook etc?

Further out woori yallock,three bridges,warburton etc?

Just throwing it out there.

Cheers Spades.

Docklands?

The Y-man

Back