Property for sale- Canberra, inner north

I'm selling a property in North Lyneham, on the north side of Canberra, and on the outer ring of what is considered inner Canberra.

It's been an excellent property for us- the only reason for selling is that in the transition phase of our super fund, it's a lot more tax effective to own a property within the SMSF.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-act-lyneham-115236631

It's two 2BR townhouses, on separate titles, one renting for $380pw and the other for $390pw. There's another building with lock up garage and large storeroom area, which could double as a spare bedroom or granny flat.

The land area totals 1150sqm.

We've had it since 2002, and has had minimal vacancies. We had one vacancy for 3 weeks, apart from that it hasn't been vacant for more than a week. It has an attractiveness for tenants as it does have outdoor/garden area, unlike the units it competes against in the rental market.

It has given us some solid capital growth.

The houses are aluminium clad, and are probably the worst houses in the best street. Most of the houses, apart from one big complex, are individual well established houses. I'd be guessing that these would have a high proportion of owner occupiers.

There is the potential to knock down and build two very nice houses, but zoning doesn't allow any more subdivision.

The auction is listed as being on 6 November, but in fact will be 20 November.

Around $690K. It may go less on the day. At that price it would give 5.8% yield. While there are certainly a lot better yields around, it's not too bad for something which has shown excellent capital growth (it's been around 8% pa compounded since we bought).

It's a good part of Canberra and I believe growth will continue to be strong....I'm also biased because I live up the road :)

Cheers

Jamie

It's a good part of Canberra and I believe growth will continue to be strong....I'm also biased because I live up the road :)
You have good taste in where you choose to live.

But wouldn't an 1150sqm block allow you to build that monster McMansion your wife wants you to have?

You have good taste in where you choose to live.

But wouldn't an 1150sqm block allow you to build that monster McMansion your wife wants you to have?

lol - too late. Reno's have just kicked off in our PPOR.

That's a massive block though.

Cheers

Jamie

It's only half the size of our PPOR block in Queanbeyan though. That makes it very private. Nobody can hear the arguments hehe

I'm sure you would.

That's where supply and demand comes in. You might demand that price, but I wouldn't supply it ;-)

Looks good Geoff,

You are in good hands with Tim. Great choice.!

James

Thanks James. I've known Tim for quite a few years. I may have even bought the property through him, but I can't quite remember.

I've dealt with your now colleague Jason for quite a while as well. But the business address on the page you link to is now incorrect.

Around $690K. It may go less on the day. At that price it would give 5.8% yield. While there are certainly a lot better yields around, it's not too bad for something which has shown excellent capital growth (it's been around 8% pa compounded since we bought).
Interest has been at a lower level.

The auction is tomorrow night (Wednesday) at 6PM.

It will still be on the market if it doesn't get reserve price. I don't have to sell.

There's a hidden extra. There's a small 1BR "unit" which is not rented out as it's not approved as a residence. It could be rented out at $150pw after a bit of doing up.

There weren't any registered bidders on the night.

The marketing didn't mention the rents, which I thought was the property's strongest selling point.

So we are moving onto a straight sale to see if there's any interest. This time rents will be a part of the marketing.

We got a lowball offer. No way.

If it hasn't sold by the end of January we're withdrawing it from sale.

It's a good performer, so no pressure to sell too low.

People in Canberra are scared. It's a Labor town and the Libs might be cutting the public service further (of course not much whinging about the 9000 PS jobs lost under the last Labor govt).

There's also a flood of rental properties available.

We need to wait until May (fed budget) to find out what to expect. Then it will go decisively one way or the other.

Yes, I agree the confidence is low. There's still a lot of unknowns ATM. The timing was a bit poor, but we still have two weeks to see if there's anything happening.

If we don't sell now we may do after a year or two. I suspect that this year's budget won't have much joy- traditionally bad news occurs early in a term of office and good news closer to elections.

There's a small unit in the middle which has never been approved for occupancy- it was approved as a workshop. It has just been suggested to me that it may be possible to get a certificate of occupancy if modifications are made. This would add nicely to the yield.

There is a lot of stock around but we have never had trouble letting this property out. It appeals much more than many units for the same price in the area.

Back