Property in Demolition Control Precinct

Hi all,

We are considering a property in Brisbane which when we look up on the planning and development website, it states one of the constraints is that its in a demolition control precinct. Please correct me if I'm wrong, is this similar to being heritage listed in Melbourne?

It is an older property on a big block of land, so our view is to purchase to redevelop somewhere down the track.

Implications of this demolition control?

DCP means the pre 1946 house cannot be demolished or removed from the site...... well, thems the rules, but there's 4 get arounds.

We bought a DCP house in Brissy in March, and have investigated demolishing versus reno-ing. A town planner with significant experience in our street put the odds of having a demolition application approved at 33%. The next step is to submit a court appeal, which he put the chance of success at 95%.

Cost of demo app = $3.5k.
Cost of appeal = $6-7k.

I'd suggest you make your offer at least subject to dd via town planner.
If you want the name of one who offered us a lot of strategic and free info over the phone, PM me.

Personally, my view is if the population keeps growing, many designated DCP areas will lose that code, especially larger lots near transport infrastructure. That may happen as soon as 2012 when the new city plan comes out. DCP is well intentioned but seriously flawed policy in my view.

Wood houses are just not meant to last 100+ years, and they don't work in higher living density areas. The noise just goes right through them, they are space and energy inefficient.

Anyway, if your time line is 5-10 years before developing, it isn't a silly idea to hold.

Hi all,

We are considering a property in Brisbane which when we look up on the planning and development website, it states one of the constraints is that its in a demolition control precinct. Please correct me if I'm wrong, is this similar to being heritage listed in Melbourne?

It is an older property on a big block of land, so our view is to purchase to redevelop somewhere down the track.

Implications of this demolition control?
This may help,it is a bit different too heritage ..willair..
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:BASE::pc=PC_5217

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bccwr/community/documents/20060208_finalcityshape_opt.pdf

We have four houses in one block, all with a DCP overlay. Some of the houses in this block (DCP area is larger than just one block) can be taken off or demolished, but generally pre-war cannot (my understanding anyway).

However, one right opposite one of ours mysteriously was removed recently and a brand spanking new mansion is being built.

House opposite our PPOR also was able to be taken off (DCP overlay).

Council seems to work in mysterious ways.

If we want to develop the block, and cannot have the house removed, we will work around it, but it will be easier to develop if it can be removed. One of ours is pretty ugly too, so I reckon the whole street would like to see it gone :).

I agree Winston,
These DCP properties are in many cases just falling to pieces and should really be removed instead of forcing people to attempt extreme renovations just to comply with zoning requirements. These renovations usually deviate from the original property anyway.
I appreciate a few have historical significance, but quite a number are extremely run down beyond repair and are simply waiting to burn down.
It will be interesting if the day ever comes, when a savvy lawyer is able to file suit against Brisbane City Council claiming a clients long term health issues are related to asbestosis from residing in a property that has undergone numerous renovations in compliance to councils DCP overlays.
Perhaps then council will remove the zoning blanket :rolleyes:

DCP means the pre 1946 house cannot be demolished or removed from the site...... well, thems the rules, but there's 4 get arounds.

We bought a DCP house in Brissy in March, and have investigated demolishing versus reno-ing. A town planner with significant experience in our street put the odds of having a demolition application approved at 33%. The next step is to submit a court appeal, which he put the chance of success at 95%.

Cost of demo app = $3.5k.
Cost of appeal = $6-7k.

I'd suggest you make your offer at least subject to dd via town planner.
If you want the name of one who offered us a lot of strategic and free info over the phone, PM me.

Personally, my view is if the population keeps growing, many designated DCP areas will lose that code, especially larger lots near transport infrastructure. That may happen as soon as 2012 when the new city plan comes out. DCP is well intentioned but seriously flawed policy in my view.

Wood houses are just not meant to last 100+ years, and they don't work in higher living density areas. The noise just goes right through them, they are space and energy inefficient.

Anyway, if your time line is 5-10 years before developing, it isn't a silly idea to hold.

hmm..this all sounds quite promising then. We wouldn't be planning to redevelop for another 5-10 years anyway, so hopefully by then we won't have to worry about DCP zoning :D

Its actually quite a pretty house, so I can see the historical aspect of it.

Anyway, still just considering it at the moment as we're doing the sums.

Back