Property Management for first IP (melbourne)

Hey guys,

I just settled on my first IP last week. Established (80's) townhouse in Oak Park with recent internal renovated kitchen and laundry, new paint throughout, new carpets, updated bathroom etc.

The property was left with the selling agent to lease.

I had rang around two or three other agents in the area, as well as run property, the selling agent "seemed" the best.

However I now have my reservations. When I signed the authority to manage over to them, the "principal" property manager suggested I start at $320 a week. A few weeks later, when the property settled, I did some searching and this now appears a little on the high side. There are brand new places popping up going for $340.

The initial open didn't get any interest.

The property manager allocated to my place has now suggested I drop the price to $280 per week as the market is a little "slow". I'm happy to do this however they also told me a few weeks back that another unit in the same block just rented for $290 per week, unrenovated!

So i have reservations now based on the fact that they went from $320 to $280 in the space of a few weeks, surely such a sharp decline in the rental market would be all over the papers ?

Not sure what to do here. I want the place tenanted, it is pretty much ready to lease, but a $40 per week drop is $2k over 48 weeks - quite substantial.

I also have reservations about the tactics used by the PM herself. They either falsely suggested an initial starting price to "butter me up" and get my business, or they were genuine, but incompetent, given a 320 to 280 drop over the space of a few weeks surely indicates they don't know what they're talking about ?

I also have reservations about the tactics used by the PM herself. They either falsely suggested an initial starting price to "butter me up" and get my business, or they were genuine, but incompetent, given a 320 to 280 drop over the space of a few weeks surely indicates they don't know what they're talking about ?

We have a winner, this is ultimatley what happened. I bet thier fees and what price you would get were the 2 key points you were eluding to when you spoke to each of the PM's. So customer service, knowledge, industry experience etc were thrown out the window when it came to the decision.

Is it available for rent. I would be less worried about the $40 drop than I would be by how long it will sit vacant for.

Upload the property and we can review it if you wish. Sometimes the images or the copy might put off the viewers, how many hits has it had.

Jezza

Lol yep. thats the one.

Check the link again. I have since had the agent update the photos, and also asked her to update the ad and title to highlight the strong points.

Based on my research I'd feel around 300-320 would be fair. Thoughts ?

Thanks for your feedback so far guys :)

Jezza: Okay so, I was looking for more than just price and management fee btw... otherwise i'd have gone with Run property. My original discussions with the boss left me feeling that confident they were the best positioned to manage the property...

Anyway after my original post yesterday further conversations with my PM have eased my reservations.. it seems the $40 price drop was merely a suggestion if I was urgently trying to lease the property... it will stay on for another week at this price, with the updated marketing information... and i'll see how we go! :)

thanks again people

Aijii

Couple of things

1. Not sure if you checked you search criteria when the PM uploaded it but it is catagorised under Apartment and unit. I would recommend getting this changed to be under townhouse & house. People do use this function to limit the volumes of places.

2. Around the same times you purchased yours another one was sold 5/38, if you do a search for this location they have a floor plan. It would be very simple to amend the number as I am sure you would have the same floor plan and upload this. Floor plans and size of bedrooms are features renters also look for

I do think it is priced right for the area

Jezza

Back