Property Management Strange Behaviour

Awhile ago, maybe a year my agent got a new office assistant to look after the repairs and maintenance part of their office. When she contacted me about an issue with the plumbing in my property it turned out to be a big communications breakdown and in the end the tenants never got the problem fixed for over a month. Her superior read the emails and apologised on her behalf.

That was OK and now I heard from her again late last week as there was something to be repaired again. So I tell her to let the tenants know I will be there first thing Monday. I turned up and the tenant mentioned to me that he had been calling several times now for about a month asking for it to be fixed. I was surprised and I told them I was only notified a few days ago. Later I came back to fit the part and the other tenant was now home instead and he told me the same thing.

I mention this to my PM and he got back to me to say he talked to her and checked the phone logs and said that he thinks the tenants were exaggerating as it only shows they contacted her on the 10th of Feb . :confused:

Gut instinct tells me otherwise and the way the tenants told me so I emailed him back and asked him if would be able to contact the tenants himself and find out why they said it has been a month? I said they might have communicated another way like through her mobile, email or came in person.

Another thing is that I have had promotions from this agency in the past which I did not ask for, they had put me on their spam list so I was getting marketing emails about properties for sale. I asked them to take me off and let them know I was not happy about that. That was over 1.5 years ago.

But I also have received several GYM membership promotions recently but I did not know who they were from but I just kept the most recent on my phone anyway. Now when I got a call from this person at their office on her mobile, well guess what, yes it was the same number that was spamming me about GYM memberships.

I just want to know if others are put on their agents spam lists as well without asking to be?

Go with your gut feeling re your property manager. I dont believe I would be brave enough to torment my owners by putting them on a spam file. Do other agents really do this?

People lie whether they are tenants or PM's. I remember going to fit a washing line at a property that had been tenanted two days earlier. The tenant bitched about the landlord and how he refused to do anything. I was the landlord and had done everything requested.

That aside, if you have lost confidence in your PM then it's time to move on.

Back