Property Manager for Coorparoo Brisbane

We are expanding our business at our Coorparoo office and are looking for a new property manager. Can anyone recommend a PM in the local area & is great that we can go and approach

I wouldn't say poach, i would say approach. Afterall if someone is 100% happy with their work environment, they are not going to want to leave.

I wouldn't say poach, i would say approach. Afterall if someone is 100% happy with their work environment, they are not going to want to leave.

Sure they will if there's the financial motivation to do so. You can word it however you like but it's no wonder some agencies get a bad reputation amongst consumers and the industry.

G'Day Joel,

Interesting comment coming from a real estate agent.

At the end of the day the clients will determine the reputation of a real estate agency.

We are not interested in people coming to work for our company just for the money. We want people to come and work for us and make a career of it. We reward our staff via remuneration when they meet key kpi's. Our kpi's are aligned with our clients interests ie minimal arrears,fixed term tenancies in place, rental increases based on market conditions, quality communication & customer satisfaction.

Unfortunately a majority of real estate agencies focus on sales and a lot of the time the sales focus relates to property management not being given the resources & staffing to create an outstanding customer service organisation.

Your dad has been in business for quite a number of years now, i believe that he has built his real estate agency on providing 1st class customer service. Most of his developer clients have been clients for a number of years & have now become his personal friends. Even Maurice has been with your dad from what i can recall nearly 10 years.

Businesses like your dads & ours are built 1 client at a time & doing what you say you will do.

Good luck with your real estate career.

No offence mate, but this is where REA get their bad names from.

Makes it hard for people looking to get into the business too you know.

You are poaching, no matter what you try and say. Problems with REA (many of them) is they have no morals. Fancing wordings ain't going to work here.

We do get other agents from other agencies apply to work for us.

When conducting interviews, the applicant can interview very well.The only problem is you will not know how good they are until they are sitting at the desk doing the Job. If they are experienced and we contact their current employer you generally won't get the best reference(especially if they are a local agent & they know the person may be coming over to your company)

The reason that I asked in this forum, is that it's members are mostly property investors. A property investor that uses a property management company to manage their property is going to have more hands on experience with the property manager. Your opinion would be highly regarded in the selection process.

Problems with REA (many of them) is they have no morals. Fancing wordings ain't going to work here.

Just to clarify a couple of things for you. I personally have been in the property industry for over 20 years & have been a member of this forum since July 2008.

Our business currently employs over 60 full time & part time staff, we are a property management only company, we currently have almost 3000 property investors entrusting our company to manage their properties.

At the end of the day, it is our clients that determine our success. If we did not treat our clients the way that want to be treated, then they would be leaving us in droves. This is not the case, our business is growing and that is the reason that we are looking to employ a new property manager in our Coorparoo office & another soon in our Kallangur office. These positions are new positions to cater for our new clients(we do not want to overload our existing property managers as this will effect the level of service that we can provide)

Lil Skater, happy to talk to you if you are interested in getting into property management to offer you any tips or advice. I can see you are in Sydney so I can refer you onto some agents down there that we deal with.

We do get other agents from other agencies apply to work for us.

Lil Skater, happy to talk to you if you are interested in getting into property management to offer you any tips or advice. I can see you are in Sydney so I can refer you onto some agents down there that we deal with.

No problem if they're approaching you. This however is not the case.

I'll be in Melbourne as of Wednesday, and i'm not interested in property management. However when i do start as an agent i'm not going to let the money stem my interests, i also plan to stick to my morals.

I understand your business is growing, and that's great! But perhaps your approach on how you get staff to grow this business is not the right way. But this is purely my opinion, others would disagree.

Sure they will if there's the financial motivation to do so. You can word it however you like but it's no wonder some agencies get a bad reputation amongst consumers and the industry.

Whats wrong with poaching or headhunting? This occurs in nearly every industry and is no different in real estate where it happens all the time.

You guys need to wake up and smell the roses

People are motivated by many different things but I personally think the majority of people would not leave a job if they were satisfied (and a measure of job satisfaction is remuneration) - I think waking up and going to a job you enjoy is much more important then a few extra $$$ - but then again, I'm gen Y, what would i know?

I'd hassit a guess (complete guess, correct me if i'm wrong) that PM base salaries probably don't vary much (if anything with experience) and a lot of their earnings are performance based - if so, wouldn't you prefer working at a place you enjoyed? The mutual satisfaction leads to better rewards for for you and your employer....

Headhunting occurs in every professional industry, its a tool used by both sides:
- the individual:can use it to negotiate a better pay rise at their current job (if they are satisfied) or move on to the new job if they are disatissfied, its also a great feeling being headhunted as it reassurance you'e doing an excellent job
- the company: can find better staff, often in the legal industry client's will try and poach you or if you've had a really good experience with a certain person on the other side, you may try and poach them, as Andrew says its all about providing the best service for your clients, and to do that you need the best people.

The flip side is that headhunting can severely affect the business where the person was headhunted from, but a lot of the time that comes down to the morals and attitude of the person headhunted - were they that dissatisfied they wanted to leave their former employer in the lurch? did they not really care what happened to their previous employer? or did they find a workable solution? The right candidate would work with the former employer to ensure a smooth transition - yeah, i know that's a little idealistic...my parents have been in small business a long time and no matter how good you think you look after your staff one of them is bound to screw you over...but at the same time, watching others is the best learning tool...

Oh c'mon now !!
Headhunting is EVERYWHERE and is a useful "tool" for companies. I was HH many many moons ago and very glad I went. Didn't upset my old employer, just gave notice etc, all ethical.
My DH has been HH to the max last year with the some of the most unbelievable incentives to move, but he didn't cause he likes his job right where he is.

HH is not unethical, but just a way of life.

All power to the OP who's asked in a civil way in a place where he'd expect to get an honest reply.

Problems with REA (many of them) is they have no morals.

I do agree there still are unfortunatley some cowboy's out there in the real estate industry.

This is my career & my reputation is my number one asset.

Just check out my full profile on LinkedIn.com check out the link below

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofile?vmi=&id=28035311&pvs=pp&authToken=wJ9m&authType=name&locale=en_US&trk=ppro_viewmore&lnk=vw_pprofile

There are recommendations from clients,other agents that i have & have not worked with.

I agree everyone is intitled to their opinion. It would be a pretty boring world if we could not voice our opinions.

Lil Skater, good luck with the job hunting. I will be down to Melbourne in May 2010 as a guest speaker at the Real Estate Institute of Victoria Property Management Conference. May not see you there, but may see some people that will be working with.

The only problem is you will not know how good they are until they are sitting at the desk doing the Job.
At least you make the effort to employ people who can write copy. There is someone in your office who is absolutely brilliant. When I check out the rental market I always click on your ads just to enjoy the writing. H/she makes the most ghastly dump sounds like a 5 star penthouse.

Very interesting outcome today.

I got contacted by 2 retired real estate agents in the last 2 days that i have known for over 10 years & are members of this community & both have made recommendations.

I believe in being proactive in all aspects of business.

I am not just going to place an advertisement & wait for someone to reply. I will look at all avenues.

Whilst I acknowledge different opinions on what is believed to be right or wrong, I will do what it takes to find the right person or people for our organisation so that our clients interests can be served best.

I have one question?

Do want to deal with a property management company that is proactive or reactive?

Food for thought.

Josh,

I have replied to your DM. I saw it last night and just wanted to clarify a couple of things in the office this morning.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason,

I think your idea of coming here to look for recommendations for a property manager is, in theory, a brilliant idea. You would expect to get some real suggestions of who is a good property manager from real investors.

On the flip side, us investors may be somewhat hesitant to 'rock the boat' if we have a great property manager who then leaves the RE agency that has our management. Sure, we could follow them to your agency however it can be disruptive in a number of ways (possibly financially, emotionally etc).

I personally use a property manager in this general location that I extremely pleased with (having recently sent an unprompted testimonial to their boss) however I would hate to lose them.

Cheers

I personally use a property manager in this general location that I extremely pleased with (having recently sent an unprompted testimonial to their boss) however I would hate to lose them.Cheers

Thanks The Shuffler

I was starting to think that there are no good property managers in the local area.

It is great news to here that your are extremely pleased with your property manager. In my opinion if you have a good property you will stick with them.Good property managers are hard to find.

I did not think that property investor would be reluctant to nominate who the good property managers were, but now i can understand why there would be reluctance to put foward a name on the forum(you can DM me)

All the best with your investment property.

Back