Property Manager paid for repairs that were not done

This weekend when we visited one of our investment properties located about 50km from our home, we noticed a number of things we had paid for to be repaired over the last 2 years have not been done or the work was extremely shoddy and will need to be redone. For example we had paid for four new flyscreens but one is missing and the other three are just old and would not have been replaced within the last two years. Also we paid for new down pipes from the guttering but there are none. This year we moved this property to an agent close to the property because we felt the old agent was too far away. We feel the old agent should reimburse us for the money we paid for the jobs that weren't done. They were managing the property and should have checked the worked had been carried out in a satisfactory manner before paying the bills. We are now up for considerable cost to repair this property because things we thought had been fixed weren't done and it caused further problems. Do other owners think we should reclaim the money back from the agent for the work we paid for but wasn't done?

How long ago did you change agent? Was it before or after you found out about the issues or had suspicions?

It is worth contacting the previous licensee to discuss the issues.

Scott No Mates - We changed agents in February this year. At that stage we did not have suspicions that the work we had paid for didn't get done but we knew the agent had been struggling for a long time to get someone to fix the driveway of the property so we thought it needed to be with a local agent who had local contacts.
Fill Bates - yes we do have copies of the original invoices from the handyman

In hindsight I should have asked for photos. But we use this agent for other properties and don't have any problems with them so didn't feel the need to although from now on I will be asking for before and after photos for each repair we do.

photos would have been good but you shouldn't have to ask for them to prove that work was done.

if there was an invoice then it is reasonable to assume it was done.

If the agent paid for work that was not done, they should reimburse you and chase their maintenance people legally for producing false invoices.

Thanks Xenia IM, I have made a list and taken photos of what was paid for but not done and I will present it to our PM and ask for a refund. Overall we have paid almost $3,000 for work that was not carried out. I realise the property was a long way from the PM and they had difficulty keeping an eye on it but they agreed to manage it and we paid a management fee so it was their responsibility to make sure work was carried out satisfactorily before paying the tradesperson.

Contact the agencies licencee in writing and detail what you what you paid for and what was not undertaken and formally request a return of monies within 14 days or for the works to be undertaken to a professional level.

Follow up correspondence with a quick call.

If no monies are received or works undertaken, contact the Department of Fair Trading and register a complaint and continue down that track.

As a business owner I would be shocked if this happened in my agency and the client would immediately get a refund.

I would then let the hounds lose on the trades people.

Even if work was not picked up straight away - was it also missed in routine inspections?

$3000 is not changing a couple of washers in taps where it could have been missed, I'm assuming it was something visible.

I sent of my claim for a refund to the agent with photos to prove the work had not been done as paid for today. She got back to me and said she is going to take it to "the tribunal" not sure what tribunal. I am assuming it is small claims or something against the tradesman. I was very shocked. I don't know why the RE don't pay me then take the man to the tribunal themselves if required. I am going to go back to her tomorrow asking for my money and see what she says.

I sent of my claim for a refund to the agent with photos to prove the work had not been done as paid for today. She got back to me and said she is going to take it to "the tribunal" not sure what tribunal. I am assuming it is small claims or something against the tradesman. I was very shocked. I don't know why the RE don't pay me then take the man to the tribunal themselves if required. I am going to go back to her tomorrow asking for my money and see what she says.

I would be asking for the timeline and set of steps for getting my money back. I would not be saying anything that even suggests not getting the money back is a possibility, but the plan of action could be the result of a negotiation.

i.e.

"When can I expect the money to be refunded to my account?"

and not

"I demand you refund the money to my account."

Sounds like the agent is telling you what you want to hear - that they are on your side and being seen to do something about it. What they should be doing is growing some balls and take it up directly with the handyman.

Tools

Sorry to hear

:mad:
The same thing happened to me, and when I went to see the agent, they shouted at me like it was my fault.!!!!

The agent was in Frankston Vic, needless to say I no longer use them.
Keeping an eye in things is so important.

I hope this helps.

Thanks to everyone for your kind and helpful comments. I honestly never thought something like this would happen but all the messages have given me support.

Back