Property mentor - Binvested Nathan Birch

Here is a simple example:

Property advertised price: $500,000
Purchase price: $450,000

Discount: $50,000

My commission can be fixed 5-10k depending on the price of the property and will be deducted from the discount. However if I can only get a discount of $4,000 then that will be my commission. If I get no discount at all then my commission will only be the engagement fee which is $1000.

The other option is to use the % method. I get 30% of the discount I can negotiate and the buyer get's 70% of the saving. In the example above that would be $15,000.

The option we chose depends on the price range and the option the buyer wants. We decide this before we start looking at properties.

This method aligns both our interests. Most buyer agents will just flog you anything since they are getting paid either way. They just have to buy you a property.

Selling agent and seller interest are both aligned but I feel that buyers are not properly represented by buyer agents due to their fee structure.

I see what you are trying to do, but the advertised price may be inflated and I don't believe it is really a valid benchmark for the purposes of calculating a fair discount, if the buyer chooses to use the % method.

I didn't fully understand it but thought the fee had the potential to be large. For example, I know some locations where you can easily, and should offer around $30k less than the asking price, also depends on the market etc, and of course whether or not said property has been on the market for an age as it backs onto a railway line. Does this mean the buyer could end up paying a higher fee for a undesirable property because you were easily able to get asking price down. This would end up being catastrophic for an inexperienced buyer, putting their faith in you and ending up with something hard to rent out or sell. It just doesn't sou d good for the buyer unless I'm missing something. You'd get your fee though of course. Apologies if this is not how your structure works.

+1. I wouldn't go for it. The way I see it, your and your clients interest aren't aligned - your interest is to find the property on which you can achieve the biggest discount and hence fee - your client's interest is to acquire the property that most suits their needs at the terms and price that suits them best. These could possibly align, but don't automatically.

Does this mean the buyer could end up paying a higher fee for a undesirable property because you were easily able to get asking price down. This would end up being catastrophic for an inexperienced buyer, putting their faith in you and ending up with something hard to rent out or sell. It just doesn't sou d good for the buyer unless I'm missing something. You'd get your fee though of course. Apologies if this is not how your structure works.
You could also get your mate to list his $350k house for $500k, 'talk him down' to $400k, score a whopping commission, get your mate a killer deal and fleece your client.

People will always work out ways to make incentive schemes work for themselves.

BR

I'm guessing it's not actually "deducted from the discount" but is in fact "paid in addition to the purchase price".

Yes but my interest is to get you the best price so that I get paid too.

Not just flog you anything and get paid my full commission under the current fee structure other BA's are charging.

You could also get your mate to list his $350k house for $500k, 'talk him down' to $400k, score a whopping commission, get your mate a killer deal and fleece your client.

People will always work out ways to make incentive schemes work for themselves.

BR

First of all any BA can do that which is illegal. Commissions are capped at 2.5%. I missed that in my example. So in the case of my example it would be $12,500 not $15,000

+1. I wouldn't go for it. The way I see it, your and your clients interest aren't aligned - your interest is to find the property on which you can achieve the biggest discount and hence fee - your client's interest is to acquire the property that most suits their needs at the terms and price that suits them best. These could possibly align, but don't automatically.

Commissions are capped at 2.5%. The buyers interest and my interest are more aligned with this structure compared to the current fee structure of other BA's.

They could just flog you anything and put their fee on top.

My fee structure forces the agent to earn their fee and lowers the price for the buyer.

Most buyer agents will just flog you anything since they are getting paid either way. They just have to buy you a property.
Wow!
Yes but my interest is to get you the best price so that I get paid too.

Not just flog you anything and get paid my full commission under the current fee structure other BA's are charging.

And again. For someone who professes to be a BA, you have not one ounce of respect for your colleagues.

There are a couple of very highly regarded BAs on this forum who have proved their worth time after time, & here you are professing to be much more honourable than them, because they apparently 'just buy anything' because they will get paid no matter what.:eek:

Wow!

And again. For someone who professes to be a BA, you have not one ounce of respect for your colleagues.

There are a couple of very highly regarded BAs on this forum who have proved their worth time after time, & here you are professing to be much more honourable than them, because they apparently 'just buy anything' because they will get paid no matter what.:eek:

But Super Andrew isn't a BA. Or is he? He's getting paid now? But doesn't have a license. I'm confused.

[
Commissions are capped at 2.5%. The buyers interest and my interest are more aligned with this structure compared to the current fee structure of other BA's.

My fee structure forces the agent to earn their fee and lowers the price for the buyer.

And again!

Please explain how your structure forces the agent to earn their fee, because I've bought more than a few properties, and even on my very first one I had no problem negotiating a better price than the advertised fee.

Also note, that if you are looking at properties in Timbucktoo, where no houses have been sold in a few years, yet every second house is for sale it takes no skill at all to get a large discount.

Guys, just ignore him,

The more You reply the more he gets his socks off

Trolls/spruiker are like advertising, ignore them and they go away.

Anyone who reads this thread will have Ni problem making own decision

Wow!

Skater all you do is pick on general statements I make. I am sure there are many good buyer agents out there. Maybe they can consider the fee structure I am proposing.

My statement is referring to the fee structure of buyer agents which I think is not aligned with the interest of the buyer.

On the Australian Buyer Agent Association website they say that BA's can charge 2.5% of the purchase price. That is the same fee structure selling agents charge. Don't you think there is something not right about this?

How about you provide some constructive criticism on BA fee structures which can help other investors who visit this forum?

Guys, just ignore him,

The more You reply the more he gets his socks off

Trolls/spruiker are like advertising, ignore them and they go away.

Anyone who reads this thread will have Ni problem making own decision

This is not about me. This is about fee structures of buyer agents and that they are not appropriate.

People who don't have anything better to do but bully me made this about me.

You could just flog me anything and put your fee on top (because it ison top of the purchase price) just the same as other BAs. The only difference is that you are incentivised to find overpriced properties so that you can maximise your fee through negotiating a discount.

Surely the value of the BA is in the sourcing of the correct property rather than negotiating a discount. I'd rather buy a wonderful property at a fair price than a fair property at a wonderful price. Apologies to WB for murdering his line.

Last edited:
Back