Property Options

hahaha that's gold!

writing out conditions is more onerous than getting a lawyer to draw up a watertight options contract.

whatever.

good luck with the upsell.

And then there's the whole 'Danger, Danger, Mr Robertson!' that the average Australian hears when anything out of the ordinary comes along.

I'm moving offices, with next door being a property developer. Have had a couple chats with them so far and brought up this topic, it seems that they've also gone down this route as most RE agents don't have a clue what a property option is, and private owners are cautious of most things let alone 'more complex' buying instruments.

It seems that by the time an agent is involved in the sale of a property, the sellers have decided that they want their money quickly, and a firm assurance that they'll get it.
If they're approached by a buyer before they've even considered selling, it's more likely that they'll be prepared to wait for a year or two before they get paid, and they won't eve mind if the deal doesn't go ahead.

It seems that by the time an agent is involved in the sale of a property, the sellers have decided that they want their money quickly, and a firm assurance that they'll get it.
If they're approached by a buyer before they've even considered selling, it's more likely that they'll be prepared to wait for a year or two before they get paid, and they won't eve mind if the deal doesn't go ahead.

It seems like you're intent on doing the course so go ahead and do it, if you have the spare money to do it. This topic has been discussed in this and other forums a lot.

What are you trying to achieve anyway? From what I've gathered reading posts from forums, talking to property lawyers, builders, developers, land owners, and yes, knowledgable RE agents, concentrating on options alone limits your ability to close deals as this is only one strategy out of many.

It seems like you're intent on doing the course so go ahead and do it, if you have the spare money to do it. This topic has been discussed in this and other forums a lot.

What are you trying to achieve anyway? From what I've gathered reading posts from forums, talking to property lawyers, builders, developers, land owners, and yes, knowledgable RE agents, concentrating on options alone limits your ability to close deals as this is only one strategy out of many.

No, Telejazzer, I'm not intent on doing the course, I'm intent on using the strategy, which is the only one suitable to my circumstances at present. Yes, I will miss out on many deals, but property options are the best way I can think of to gain an entry to the property development business with minimal capital and risk.

No, Telejazzer, I'm not intent on doing the course, I'm intent on using the strategy, which is the only one suitable to my circumstances at present. Yes, I will miss out on many deals, but property options are the best way I can think of to gain an entry to the property development business with minimal capital and risk.

Well, good luck with that. Who knows, you might get lucky and land the deal of the decade. Having gone through it and knowing people that have gone through it, it's not easy. You will find that a lot of land owners are not open to this strategy. I know somebody that invested about 4-5 years going around talking to land owners, gaining their trust before signing them up. Even then, he is still waiting for the rezoning process to happen before they can start applying for DA. This can be another 2-3 years before it happens.

Go ahead and ask around. I found that when I did, there were people that had asked before me. Why? Because of these courses. Many people who have been to these courses are going around nowadays asking land owners if they can option their property without the ability to close deals. Over the last 7 or more years, thousands of people have probably done these courses (Rolton, Crutchfield, Iqubal, etc). I personally think this only creates confusion in the market.

Even if you're able to to get an owner to sign up, you need to be able to add value to the property which means spending money on consultants, reports, application for DA, etc.

Builders do use options on their house and land packaging deals, staggered sometimes, but that's another story.

I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic and will use this strategy should the opportunity arises as I almost did but the deal fell through.

Again, best of luck.

Go ahead and ask around. I found that when I did, there were people that had asked before me. Why? Because of these courses. Many people who have been to these courses are going around nowadays asking land owners if they can option their property without the ability to close deals. Over the last 7 or more years, thousands of people have probably done these courses (Rolton, Crutchfield, Iqubal, etc). I personally think this only creates confusion in the market.

My grandparents used to tell me stories about hawkers frequently coming to their home (5 or 6 a day) during the depression.
Maybe we're going to see am ironic reversal of this phenomenon, with landowners being pestered 5 or 6 times a day by wannabe Mark Roltons looking to buy stuff, instead of sell it. :)

My grandparents used to tell me stories about hawkers frequently coming to their home (5 or 6 a day) during the depression.
Maybe we're going to see am ironic reversal of this phenomenon, with landowners being pestered 5 or 6 times a day by wannabe Mark Roltons looking to buy stuff, instead of sell it. :)

That's funny mate! :D But not far away from the truth.

Back