Property related ideas for making more money

How about being a "property investment consultant" or mentor business? You sound like you have a lot of experience that most of us don't have. I usually prefer mentors who have "walked their talk" for many years.

Hi Myf,

I've been thinking along the same lines, even thought of starting up a property management business here in Hobart. But it sounds like too much work, too lazy for that lol! The other idea I've been toying with is self contained short stay accommodation. Buy/reno/rent out to holiday makers. My two cents :)

I had thought about this a long time ago but forgot about it as it was too hard when I had a job but it might be just the thing now. Thanks for the reminder!

How about writing a book/ebook (in your spare time) about your experiences and or a guide to help newbies :)

I wonder if there is any money to be made with this. I suppose it would go hand in hand with mentoring.

How about being a "property investment consultant" or mentor business? You sound like you have a lot of experience that most of us don't have. I usually prefer mentors who have "walked their talk" for many years.

I think I'd like this I just don't know how to start it up.

Been looking at Tassie a bit - binalong bay is done to death
Would people stay in berriedale for the gallery?
I'm looking for a year round attraction not just a beach which people only visit a few months a year

I could be wrong but I don't think people would stay at Berriedale because of MONA. I think most would stay close to the city and it seems the MONA ferry is a popular way of getting there, even I would take the ferry and I'm not a tourist.

That's why if I were to go down this route I'd be looking at Battery Point or North Hobart, good bases for activities all year round.

I thought of one today - renovator / project manager, but targeted exclusively at interstate buyers. Interstate-only would be your specialty.

I have some friends buying interstate that won't consider buying anything other than new / near new / OTP cause they don't know anyone to help them with a fixer-upper.

Refer prospective buyers for otp and brand new properties to me...you can get attractive referral fee without any license :D

hosting on airbnb can also give you more income...if you have spare time

Hi, i think writing a book is your best bet, it wont tie you down like running accommodation would as you could just write whenever wherever you feel like it.

I also think theres a strong market for property investing books, make it in hard copy and an e book, perhaps set up a blog or website where people can pay (or not) for extra content. It could even be tailored content which could lead well to mentoring consulting etc in the future (no quals required like a Proj Mgr).

Personally i feel theres a lack of decent IP books as well, margaret lomas makes a new one every now and then but its like groundhog day when you read each new edition.

Another cool thing would be a compilation of successful investors storys (maybe the ppl from somersoft) with actual realistic and transparent data unlike whats often in the magazines.

Good luck cheers

I thought of one today - renovator / project manager, but targeted exclusively at interstate buyers. Interstate-only would be your specialty.

I have some friends buying interstate that won't consider buying anything other than new / near new / OTP cause they don't know anyone to help them with a fixer-upper.

I went to a renovation seminar a while ago, there are services like this already that cater for investors and homeowners. I haven't used the service myself.
http://www.transformationsau.com.au/about.html

Last edited:
Hi WM
Unfortunately the down side is you need huge volume to make decent $ if you go down mentoring or BA and then you have another day job, commitment etc. is that what you really want?? Perhaps you could be making more money from just taking on another profitable development, even a JV if you are cash strapped and you are selling your knowledge and your JV partner throwing in the cash.

I like S McK model LVR big time, where he is the educator, puts together manual and on-sell to many via seminars, sties etc, less work and more money.

With your knowledge and enthusiasm I think you will be flying whatever road you choose:)

Cheers
MTR

I've got it...

The bloke that drives around collecting scrap steel before council clean up gets to it... Ok sounds lame so far... But as you get around you'll see what work is going on renos, developments, maybe drug lab then you can drop off a business card for handy man/jack of trades type work - cash of course so you don't need any fancy"tickets" or even assistance to developers or people that may be struggling with renos.

That's my dream anyway... A bloke was doing something similar when we were renovating, came to collect some scrap steel I left out then had a chat with me. He said he could do pretty much anything, all while knocking of in time to pick the kids up from school! His wife had the"proper"to appease the tax man

...What can I do without qualifications/registration...ideas mulling in my head
- Interior Designer (I believe you don't need to be registered but I would do the Cert IV in Interior Design)
- Project Manager for other people's IP projects
- Project Manager for other people's Reno projects
- Professional somersoft thread hogger
- Mentoring (but how without sounding like a douche trying to con money?)

What other, out the box ideas can you think of?

...go on The Block :p

Maybe hold one-on-one sessions for investors. Come up with a strategy to move forward. This is something i will be doing in the second half of the year.

Oscar

So an update to this is that I have my first client.

I'm giving development mentoring/assistance to a Perth member on here for their first development. As they have already purchased their land I'm helping them from DA process forwards.

So an update to this is that I have my first client.

I'm giving development mentoring/assistance to a Perth member on here for their first development. As they have already purchased their land I'm helping them from DA process forwards.

What sort of development?

Cheers

Back