Property research tools

I'm interested to learn more about research tools that people use. I've just found out about Real Estate Investar (http://www.***************************/ME2/Default.asp) which I know has been mentioned here a couple of times. Just wondering if there's any competitors to real estate investar that others know about in terms of sophisticated search tools and integrated valuations.

I've heard on some other sites some compliants about Investar's valuations (supplied by APM), has anyone else had this issue. I've seen through one of their webinars where they run through an example of using a "discount to market strategy" they run the search pull something up at discount to median, run the val and the val is like 5%-10% higher than the listing price because the vendor is "motivated". Can it really be that simple or can the valuations be off because of other property specific issues that aren't that apparent?

..... or can the valuations be off because of other property specific issues that aren't that apparent?

I don't care whose software it is, be it RP Data, Pricefinder, APM whatever, these tools are only to be used as a guide.

The only time they are truly relaibale is when there are a lot of similar sales of similar type property in the same suburb within a small time frame. No 2 properties are the same - for position, views, neighbour etc - so it is not an exact science.

There is no substitute for a human at the coal-face.

I don't care whose software it is, be it RP Data, Pricefinder, APM whatever, these tools are only to be used as a guide.

The only time they are truly relaibale is when there are a lot of similar sales of similar type property in the same suburb within a small time frame. No 2 properties are the same - for position, views, neighbour etc - so it is not an exact science.

There is no substitute for a human at the coal-face.

In this point Investar state they have a confidence tool which outlines the confidence in the valuation provided which goes to your point. So I'm asking what peoples experience has been with their high confidence valuations.

Back