Property Secrets on Today Tonight

Watched it. I looked them up years ago. Looked through their pricing schedule. It didn't make sense to be paying $5k-$15k to them/anyone to manage your reno + reno costs.

Saw him at the home expo. He is a marketing guy...the lady listening to him looked impressed as he talked through granny flats.

Link here

A former employee of Giezekamp provided countless examples of the double-dipping invoices. One invoice showed that a client of Giezekamp's paid $24,000 in undisclosed kickbacks without any knowledge.

It didn't make sense to be paying $5k-$15k to them/anyone to manage your reno + reno costs.

project management is very common, especially as you get into higher value stuff, I have many clients that make a living a provide great service doing the same .

Even at a new fit out corporate level 10 to 15 % of contract price is a common PM fee

ta

rolf

Remeber I mentioned using a buyers agent when I forst started and felt like they had pressured me to overpay for a property.

Big learning curve afterwards.

I am surprised it has taken this long, to tell the truth. I have been to auction after auction and seen first hand how they operate and have mentioned it a couple of times.

As Buyers Agents, they SHOULD be looking out for a good deal for their purchasers, but the reality is that they look for homes in original condition that don't need too much work done to them. ANY home that fits that criteria is a prime target, but especially if it goes to auction.

At the auction, they will win it. Regardless of price! Mind you, at these auctions, it is usually only them bidding against other investors. It is extremely rare for a home buyer to be bidding, but in saying that, some of the newer investors will bid for a lot more $ than a more experienced investor would, and Property Secrets will go higher again.

Of course, as Buyers Agents, they charge a fee for this. But that isn't the real sting! The sting in the tail is the reno that the properties have to have.

A reno will usually cost around $35-$40k. It is a cookie-cutter reno! They are all the same! You get a paint, both inside & out!, a new kitchen, nothing fancy, but serviceable, new floor coverings, or a polish, a quick tidy up of the outside if required and new hot water system & pipes (if the ferals have stolen them).

Just doing the sums, should tell you that the reno service is overpriced!

In the early days, it didn't seem that bad. They could pick up the home for $170-180k, do the reno & reval for $260k. This is of course, well before they started building Granny's.

The Granny's are another story! The 'For Let" pictures in the paper show you that they are all similar too, so it makes sense that he's getting some kickbacks there as well. They are basic box's. Not prefab, but have that 'look' about them. You get a box, a fence, a path, etc, but nothing fancy. They are obviously Granny's. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that if I was going to put a Granny up, I'd want to make it look like a small house, not an obvious box, plonked in the backyard.

It's not a new story. Just new to the TV media. Clients have been suing them for a while now because of over charging for renos. It's fine to charge a commission to be a project manager as long as it's disclosed. Some of the markups were quite absurd.

You can tell a Property Secrets house if you drive arouind Mt Druitt because (as Skater said) they are all the same colours.

You can tell a Property Secrets house if you drive arouind Mt Druitt because (as Skater said) they are all the same colours.

Haha, well, that's not entirely true these days. You can still tell which ones they are, but they are no longer JUST beige with dark grey & white trim. They may be dark beige with dark grey & white trim, or grey with dark grey & white trim, or, beige with white & dark grey trim. You get the drift.

I recall talking to them in the early days at a property expo, their grand-plan was to have large group of investors buy into these cheaper areas, do a reno, access equity and go again. Then they were going to look at bulk discount deals with a builder to build new homes on their subdivide-able or dual occupancy blocks and re-gentrify a suburb

When I was buying properties south of the GWH in 07 they were buying pretty much everything at the auctions on the other side of the highway. As PP said they'd just keep bidding til they won regardless of the price as there were always willing buyers to take them off their hands

Haha, well, that's not entirely true these days. You can still tell which ones they are, but they are no longer JUST beige with dark grey & white trim. They may be dark beige with dark grey & white trim, or grey with dark grey & white trim, or, beige with white & dark grey trim. You get the drift.

I saw a ton of these driving around Willmot and Tregear.

Anyone win against taking them to court? I as being encouraged to do the same. What would I get back tho...

Anyone see the TT show? I missed it.

I was out looking at IP's at the start of the year and there were a bunch aroud 2770 being marketed by both Property Secrets and Raine and Horne. The unofficial word from agents was that they were personal stock of the owner of PS beinig sold off to pay debts

Back