Property Valuer - for depreciation (Melbourne)

W

WebBoard

Greetings,

We recently took our first step into property investment, albeit a not-particularly well structured one, as we have leased out our first home. It's 50 years old, in outer eastern Melbourne, and because the property value doubled in the time we lived in it, it's highly positively geared. Still, we've started... :)

What I am looking for is any recommendations for someone who can come in and give an official schedule for depreciation on improvements that have been done on the property in the time we have owned it and possibly prior. I have some of my records, but not all, for the work we have done.

I'm not even sure of the exact title for the person who could do this. Can anyone assist?
Thanks in advance,

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Luke,

A Quantity Surveyor is the person you are after for depreciation schedules. I use Bagelin & Associates in Heidelberg on 9458-4033.

GlennM.

Reply: 2

I am still new at this myself, so I stand to be corrected, but my current understanding is that you can only claim deductions on improvements done after 1985.

Reply: 2.1

Thank you both for your quick responses. If anyone else can recommend a quantity surveyor that'd be great, but I'll be calling Bagelin & Assoc tomorrow to investigate a bit more.
Regards,
Luke

Back