Proportion of people who own multiple properties??

I see it as the discrepencies for the words ( IP) and ( OWN ) are too! non specific,

1, Owning a property, and having loan on it seems to fall into the same catagory, on SS. where we all know they are worlds apart.

2, The words IP are also used on SS as Investment property, is not specific, to what type or the value

anyone could say they have 5 ips, they could be 5 x $100,000 units, in griffith, or it could be specific to 5 x $600,000 homes in weston, are they different 1st claim = $500,000 and the second is $3 million . sure they are !:eek:
and then we go back to who really owns them,?:rolleyes:

I think this type of inconsistency needs to be sorted first! before the ABS can be involved , saying you have x ips is false , and perhaps is should be either ratioed, is estimated in $v ie i have $500k in ips and/or $3 mill in ips, as the latter might actually have 30 $100k units?:D

Interesting points, Craig, about what constitutes ownership - I somewhat agree.

Would you extend the same logic to shares bought on margin? That the entity whose name is on the contract may not "own" them?

I agree that while I continue to owe a large (or even small!) portion of the value of a property, I don't really "own" that asset (merely control it), there's no one else's name on the title.

Legally, I "own" the asset ... don't I?

Last edited:
Hello. Im wondering if anyone has or knows the figures to give me an idea of what proportion of the population and/or investors own 1, 2, 3, 5 or more residential investment properties? I've seen it touted around at various seminars over the years and remember it being very very low with each consecutive purchase.

I've contacted the ABS & REIA and both say they dont collect this type data. So where these seminars come up with a figure is a mystery.

Maybe they do have the data and someone at some stage has interpreted it, that has then continued to be used by seminar presenters :confused:

HOUSEHOLD INVESTORS IN RENTAL DWELLINGS

RETIREMENT INTENTIONS

People whose main expected source of income at retirement was 'own unincorporated business income', 'rental property income', 'dividends or interest', or 'superannuation, an annuity or allocated pension' were also asked to estimate how long they expected to be self-funding after they gave up all paid work. Close to half (44%) of those who reported their expected main source of income at retirement to be from 'superannuation, an annuity, or an allocated pension' estimated that they will be self-funding for life.

Hi Rick,

I do recall a thread on SS that discussed this, and included some detailed tables. I spent about 15 mins looking through the search mechanism but as usual with it, came up with nothing. (I don't have success with the search function on this site). I'm sure Redwing will be able to sniff it out.

Another place I have seen this data is in a Jan Somers book....but cannot remember which coloured book it was.

Nevertheless, the data you are after is definitely on this site already.

Here's a couple of links I found on SS

One was a thread that a $uper Investor had started in 2006:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24080

And another from further back around 2003.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6776

There may be some links still active in there that may assist. I haven't read thru all the posts, though.........thought I'd leave that to the opening poster.

Hope there's something useful in there :)

Hmm..

Superman needs Spiderman ;)

images

say dazz ... haven't they called you yet to plug that hole in the oil rig off new mexico (or somewhere)?

Hmmm, just saw this Lizzie.

All I can say is that I am glad I am now out of that industry....it's starting to get on the nose.

I reckon you'd be lucky to get within 5 mile of that show, what with lawyers shoulder to shoulder just itchin' to sue someone for something / anything.

Gotta feel sorry for BP though. They are sitting there like plum ducks whilst Transocean completely stuff up using Transocean equipment - the rig, plus all of the Transocean rig procedures. The first a BP guy would have known about the incident would have been a big thud, and then some Transocean clown come in, wake hm up at 3 in the morning covered in black cr@p and say "Hey boss, you might want to come and have a look at this."

No thanks Lizzie, I think I'll stay at home and teach my kids how to study the law. Must be nice to re-visit the facts a few months after the ****e hits the fan and ponder as to who is at fault, and get paid 10 times the amount what the poor suckers who got half a second to decide what to do before the enormous forces of nature come screaming up yer clacka.

Thanks everyone for your replies & help. The outcome for me it that there has been no definitive study to be found, as such.

It must be a low proportion. I'm talking to mortgage brokers at the moment. They ask about other properties besides the land we are going to build on. Once you've got to property #1 the questions stop and you have to go "uh, and then there's that OTHER house we have" ... pft.

It must be a low proportion. I'm talking to mortgage brokers at the moment. They ask about other properties besides the land we are going to build on. Once you've got to property #1 the questions stop and you have to go "uh, and then there's that OTHER house we have" ... pft.

And some of the loan docs I've seen have space for details of that 1 IP, but no more.

I'd prefer to be in the 93.5% but apparently it is easier to just collect houses and rent them out than to sell them when you don't need them anymore - even when they are cheaper to buy than rent for a FHB :confused:

And I'll wager that 50% of the 4% who own one IP are actually holiday houses that get used about 1.3 weeks per year.

And out of those 1.3 weeks, 50% of the time is to visit the joint to do some gardening for the day and drive back home.

Intelligent.

They're the ones who come into our place on a Sat morning to get their wheelbarrow punctures fixed. ;):rolleyes:

I think Rob (Rob Williams) had posted some data a couple of years ago. I could not find it.

Wow! Someone actually read one of my posts? More amazingly, they remembered it? Go figure. Thanks.

I think I posted some stats initially posted by Quoll from a 2005/2006 ATO report:

Table 2.6 Individuals with an interest in a rental property, 2005–06 income year
Property interests No. of individuals
1--------------------1,081,067
2----------------------272,677
3-----------------------82,283
4-----------------------29,738
5-----------------------12,082
6 or more---------------12,442
Total----------------1,490,289

I think Quoll's post posed a question regarding trusts and other entities appearing in these stats.

They're the ones who come into our place on a Sat morning to get their wheelbarrow punctures fixed. ;):rolleyes:
*snigger* oh its you who fixes those? My other house has shocking caltrop and I was always getting wheelbarrow punctures. Gave up fixing them pretty fast.

We convinced our tyre place to sell us a trailer tyre for our wheelbarrow. They said a new wheelbarrow would be cheaper. The tyre cost $40 and that brand of wheelbarrow is a builder's one (comes with a tyre thin enough to go flat just looking at a prickle) and is pushing $200. I've had it since 1999 and it is very well used. We took the trailer tyre - haven't had a puncture since :)

Back