Proposed Heritage listing on building - BCC

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by HeadsOnBeds, 10th Jun, 2015.

1. HeadsOnBeds

HeadsOnBeds Member

I've had a letter from the Brisbane City Council proposing to list a brick boarding house I own as a local heritage place, the process will take over 6 months and I get a chance to have my say in around August.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through anything similar. Any tips on the process or the implications?

I understand that my insurance may go up and land valuations down, is this correct?

I intend to hold the place for the long term with no plans to redevelop.

I'll get in touch with a town planner to have a chat in the next few weeks to cover my bases.

2. jerrybee

jerrybee Member

What could you do to stop it (if that's what you wanted)? Maybe out a modern rendering on it? Paint the verandah in a high contrast colour? Tear down some frills?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates ...and people wonder why?

Media:
    Consider whether it is going to be of any benefit to you.
    What possible benefits are available? Heritage restoration grants, grant for fire upgrades/compliance works, land tax exemption (not sure in Qld) :D

Disadvantages - may place some restrictions on what you can do with the property ie must remain a boarding house despite everything else around being rezoned to high density, restrict the works that you can undertake without consent :eek: