Proposed New Tenancy Bill in NSW

The NSW gov is proposing a new tenancy bill to be put through parliament in June this year. It's entirely written to protect the tenants even if they don't pay rent. Here's a email I got from Property Owner's Association, more detail can be found on their website at: http://www.poansw.com.au/

THE NSW LABOR GOVT is bringing in the
RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES BILL

THIS HURTS BOTH TENANTS & PROPERTY OWNERS - as the residential rental market falls and property owners leave

The Residential Tenancies Bill (RTB) means:-

RENT CONTROL

The Tribunal must consider the circumstances of the tenant when the Tribunal controls the rent for your property and tenure.

TENANT CAN ALTER YOUR PROPERTY

YOU MAY NO LONGER CHOOSE YOUR NEW TENANT

LEASES ARE VALID FOR ONLY 2 WEEKS

NON PAYMENT OF RENT NO LONGER GROUNDS

And much more – the RTB is long, complex, on the Fair trading site:-
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/A...on/Draft_Residential_Tenancies_Bill_2009.html

This is definitely a draft bill that all landlords should be concerned about. I'd encourage all members on here to read through and make noises to their local MP's about the proposed changes. Too many to list here but some of the main changes include:

Fixed leases being able to be broken by paying a set amount of rent only

Increased landlord notices from 60 to 90 days (whilst tenants still get to give 21 days only)

More power to tenants in applying to make "improvements" to the property by going directly to CTTT

Whats with the

"YOU MAY NO LONGER CHOOSE YOUR NEW TENANT"

That sounds rather odd to me

If a tenant decide to pass their lease onto a friend of family when they vacate, the landlord can not object.

What really gets me worried is the section that dictates:

Landlords will be required to give 90 days notice for repossession which will not be in general allowed unless landlords:-
o sell their property
o the tenant is using property for illegal and criminal purposes
o the landlord is seriously and persistently threatened, intimidated, harassed and abused by the tenant

What if a tenant is consistently late with rent? Does it mean that landlord have no say in finding another tenant?

If a tenant decide to pass their lease onto a friend of family when they vacate, the landlord can not object.

What really gets me worried is the section that dictates:

Landlords will be required to give 90 days notice for repossession which will not be in general allowed unless landlords:-
o sell their property
o the tenant is using property for illegal and criminal purposes
o the landlord is seriously and persistently threatened, intimidated, harassed and abused by the tenant

What if a tenant is consistently late with rent? Does it mean that landlord have no say in finding another tenant?
Get the PM to chase it up and keep filenotes.
If you chase people up once a week and they dont want to pay the usually become abusive.
Keep asking a few more times, get a abused a few more times.
Therefore the tenant has become abusive so they can be kicked out (ie point 3 above).

That said, I can understand the sublease bit, but for a tenant to completely pass it on and no longer live there themselves is just stupid.

Get the PM to chase it up and keep filenotes.
If you chase people up once a week and they dont want to pay the usually become abusive.
Keep asking a few more times, get a abused a few more times.
Therefore the tenant has become abusive so they can be kicked out (ie point 3 above).

Haha that's a great idea! I guess whenever there is a policy, there is a strategy :D

Back