Pros and cons of security system

Situation - I have tenants in an IP in Wynnum QLD who installed a secrity alarm system in my IP (which I approved) about 12 months ago. Cost them ~$1200. They have recently given notice that they wish to vacate as they are relocating out west. They have advised that they don't really need their security system where they are going, and have offered to sell it to me for ~$600.

Initial reaction was that I didn't really want it, but upon thinking it through, I could see that there would probably be some postivies to having the system.

Tenants have been very good for the past 2 1/2 years, and we are parting on good terms.

Pros
A feature
No marks or holes when removed (althoughrectification would be at the tenant's expense)

Cons
Additional maintenance
Monitoring costs
Call-out costs for false alarms (dogs, spiders, windows left open)

Anyone have any experience with security systems or can add to the list?

Pete

You don't pay for monitoring, the tenants do.
Some of these systems have a non-monitoring option. It just makes a loud noise.

Jas

Pros
* Tenants can have peace of mind
* Reduced chance of break-ins with resultant decrease in damages and hassles getting repairs etc
* Reduced insurance costs ???
* No monitoring costs to you (Tenant pays)
* Chance to increase rent due to having alarm

Cons
* Tenants may see alarm as a hassle
* Tenants may think that area has a high crime rate and rent elsewhere
* Tenants may have false sense of security and leave doors open/ unlocked thus inviting burglars
* Tenants may feel rent now too high

Make sure the alarm is not under contract, otherwise you'll end up paying until it's finished.

If it's monitored (dial out capable), use that to your advantage. One of mine has this, and I set it to the tenants mobile. If the house calls you - you have a problem!

Generally, I think it's a plus. If they dont like it, don't use it.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Peter

One of my properties has a kick arse alarm system installed in it too.

The person who had the house built worked for Cubb and his day job was to install security alarms.

My house now has 2 panick rooms, video monitors of the front door in two locations within the house, room by room arming of the alarm plus you can arm the exterior of the house and leave the interior off, it has back to base monitoring (which the current tenants are paying for at $28per month) plus UPS lighting of the interior hallway and panick rooms.

The tenants when they took the lease on thought of the security system as an "funny" additive and not as a feature. They would have rented the 4 bedroom house next door that does't have an alarm if it were available and cheaper to rent.

So myself, I find that the alarm, though it is good, is something that is looked at differently by different tenants. Some will look for the security where otheres "don't give a sh*t". From my experience it is not an item that will help increase your rentability unless it is in a rental market of over supply and you are competing to be the best house available on the market.

Cheers
Robert

Alarm system can be good, but really only gives peace of mind to the tennants and will only keep stupid crooks out. (as they will see the alarm sticker or siren and go to a house tha doesn't have one)

Don't waste your money on having a security company monitor your alarm. Most companies in Qld who monitor premises receive an alarm activation, call the police and have them attend (when they are available), then send you a bill for their services - ie $60 call out fee, when all they did was spend 30c calling the cops.

It only takes a thief about 1 minute to rip through your whole house and flog anything of value. I don't know of anyone who has a response time that is that quick. If someone wants to get into your house, irrespective of what security you have, they will. I've ssen them remove roof tiles and smash through the ceiling, smash windows, use a sledge hammer through walls, drive a car through the front doors. You name it. keep the $600.

Cheers
BUNDY

Back