Pros/Cons of using multiple RE Agents to sell

Hi All,

All the RE agents are against it for obvious reasons but Hubby and I are having a debate about whether to use 2 different RE Agents to sell homes within the same development or just the 1.

We've always used just the 1 and we don't see many sites using multiple these days.

I'm thinking its a bit messy using multiple and even if we stick with just the 1 agent, we just make sure we only sign up for a 30 or 60 day agency agreement so we can get out of it relatively quickly so wouldn't be a big deal breaking up with them and switching agents....but Hubby reckons more advantageous and increases are exposure and sale potential using 2 different ones.

Whats everyone's thoughts/experiences?

When we bought our PPOR the vendor used 3 different agents. Given that they are unlikely to communicate with each other, it's pretty easy for someone to play them off against each other and create the impression that the market is not placing a high value on the property - as they will report back to you individually.

I'm sure we paid less for our PPOR because they used multiple agents, as we lowballed one (verbally) and then went with another. As far as the vendor was concerned it was two different offers.

When we bought our PPOR the vendor used 3 different agents. Given that they are unlikely to communicate with each other, it's pretty easy for someone to play them off against each other and create the impression that the market is not placing a high value on the property - as they will report back to you individually.

I'm sure we paid less for our PPOR because they used multiple agents, as we lowballed one (verbally) and then went with another. As far as the vendor was concerned it was two different offers.

Exactly the feedback I was after thanks Shorty! You're right, they're not likely to be working together given they have their own interests to protect so it would be easy for a buyer to play the game.

Multiple agents the agents are just going to try and get any offer rather than the best offer as another agent could sell it and they get nothing.

Buyers will go to multiple agencies and play them off against each other.

Having one agent is one message but also he can use other buyers against each other to get you a better offer.

I would only list with one agent.

Back