protecting private property

Next time someone jumps the fence have your parents lock themselves inside and call the police and say that they have just shot someone in their yard!!

The police will be there in minutes and maybe catch them at it!!

Regards

Regrow

I might get crucified here but,

This could be a good opportunity to move them on to a more secure surrounds.
Are they getting to the age where they will not be able to maintain the property,
and wouldn't you prefer to see them settle where all maintenance is done and they feel secure.
If this is an ongoing problem this could take years off there lives worrying
about being broken into.

thanks for the ideas.

I've gone and bought a 4 camera CCTV system which I'll hook up this weekend, plus, i go to Bunnings and suss out trellises with the view of adding that on top of the colourbond fence. Then when that is in place, stick the *****ly bushes up there as a deterrant but have the cameras as proof gatherers too.

Damn shame, all the rates and taxes we have been paying for years and we still have to spend more to keep the buggers out who don't pay rates or taxes.

Makes me want to dig out those plans and dreams of developing my own gated/secured estates.

Thanks

g

Does the colourbond fence have a capping on the top? Usually they do as it finishes off the fence and caps over the sharp edge. Why not remove it and expose the edge/end. Climbing over then would be nigh on impossible . Simple to do and no one would be any the wiser except the oxygen thieves who wanted to climb over! If it wasn't sharp enough for your liking you could always put an edge on it with a trusty 'dremel' style tool !:eek:

Does the colourbond fence have a capping on the top? Usually they do as it finishes off the fence and caps over the sharp edge. Why not remove it and expose the edge/end. Climbing over then would be nigh on impossible . Simple to do and no one would be any the wiser except the oxygen thieves who wanted to climb over! If it wasn't sharp enough for your liking you could always put an edge on it with a trusty 'dremel' style tool !

Good idea but screw in a few screws so they cant just lift each sheet out and walk in:cool:

Regards

Regrow

I might get crucified here but,

This could be a good opportunity to move them on to a more secure surrounds.
Are they getting to the age where they will not be able to maintain the property,
and wouldn't you prefer to see them settle where all maintenance is done and they feel secure.
If this is an ongoing problem this could take years off there lives worrying
about being broken into.

I think this isn't a bad idea. My grandparents live in a gated private community, kind of like a mini-housing estate. Very secure, great facilities, costs about the same as a median house but it's smaller.

I also think it is a good idea but try tell the folks that they have to leave their home to move into a newer and smaller place - and possibly where they cannot have their little jack russell.

This is an issue for many many people - that is, how do you tell you elderly, and independent parents that the time is right for them to move out f the family home and into a retirement village?

Having said that - i think gated and secured estates are something to seriously consider for investments as a developer. Especially in key areas. I've been tossing and brewing the idea of developing secured estates in my head for some time. It'll take big money but the payoffs could be good.

While living in Taiwan, i encountered quite a few gated estates and they are like little secured islands in a rough city. I know there are many in the States too and maybe it is time for our larger cities to also start to get these.

Thanks

g

Having said that - i think gated and secured estates are something to seriously consider for investments as a developer.
Many developers would love to build more of these, but they're very "out of favour" with most councils in the country at the moment. Most Councils around Australia are highly opposed to having "enclaves"; they seem them as elitist and are concerned about the demographic implications.

They were all over the place in the USA; I think there are benefits.

And they don't object to high rise buildings have their own private facilities - why should Council be opposed to communities being secured and keeping out outsiders, when communities are spread horizontally rather than vertically?

agree with previous sentiments - a fully permeable fence with climbing roses would not only be open and visible for those inside the yard, the climbing roses would act as a very obvious deterrent - without the need for cemented bottle shards and razor wire.

How about a second fence, about 1m or so back from the main fence that is high enough so that someone would find it difficult to climb - then you'll have a no mans land in between.
Then fill it with the thorniest plant you can get your hands on. Then you'll have 1m all around the house that is going to be an issue for anyone thinking about breaking in. :D

Back