Protection from Adverse Possession

Bear with me on this one as it is multi faceted and long winded (apologies)
So the crux of the matter is how do you protect yourself against AP when purchasing at auction?

If my understanding of AP is correct, the person who is at advantage has to do nothing at all but wait for you to try and rightfully claim back what is yours.

For example if I am hypothetically looking at a vacant block of land inner Brisbane for auction, if you were to be successful at auction, all is well until you go to start development. At this time you are likely to get survey done and bingo neighbours fence is 1.2m to your disadvantage. Now all the person at advantage need to do is lodge an AP claim and prevent your development proceeding.

Now I know you will say get the survey done prior to auction, but if my understanding is correct all this will do is make you aware of the fact, it is not until you start development and try to build where you think you can when the person at advantage can take what is on your title if they can prove AP.

If it was through private treaty you maybe able to arrange a clause for due diligence but as most auction contracts are " as is where is" my question is: is it possible to approach the real estate agents to have a clause added to auction contract, and if so what would that clause be to protect yourself from AP; "Vendor guarantees clear title" or "subject to clear title being provided"

Apologies I know some of my concepts and language are probably not up to spec legally but just thinking out loud.

A hypothetical quick measure of existing fence on hypothetical block would indicate discrepancies, and as inner Brisbane has hypothetically likely been the case for several decades.

If my AP understanding is correct, I find it unbelievable that all the power sits with the person at advantage which you will not know until after the event and all they then need to do is prove AP and lodge and you are left with a bag of you know what.

Cheers

The survey is essential. If there is a problem then you know the risks if you go ahead with the purchase.

If an auction, then you would probably have to wait until afterwards. If the property does not sell, then you can offer a contract with whatever clauses you choose for the vendor to consider.
Marg.

With auctions your lawyers can negotiate amendments to the contract prior to the auction -- don't bother asking an agent about this..

Looks up the laws of AP in the state, it is not that easy to claim. If someone has possession they have to have possession for 10 or 12 years and it has to be open possession, not secret. It won't be adverse if there is permission from the legal owner.

Those clauses giving 'clear title' would not work.

Adverse possession is not exactly common place. I did hear of one instance where a developer was required to put a garage/gates onto the side of the property which faced a 'shared/common' driveway. Without the access to the building, the neighbouring property could claim abandonment of the land and gain adverse possession - solution, built a garage otherwise the land to the side of the building may have been lost (but wouldn't have affected the development at the time).

Thanks all for the prompt responses.
By the look of the cadastral overlay it would appear to be no secret with concrete car tracks and fence clearly in a position to advantage one owner over the other.

Oh well, looks like a bag of worms, best to hope it gets passed in at auction.

Is it possible to put pen to paper with a contract with the clauses (whatever they may be) I would need for DD prior to auction in anticipation of it being passed in? How would you do that, have my solicitor draw it up and lodge with REA?

Cheers

Hi,

One option for you is to take out Title Insurance. This is an insurance cover that two insurance companies offer. They will cover you for the events you have described and will work out a solution and cover the costs, i.e they would negotiate with the neighbour and cover the costs of buying the land if required.

The two companies are First Title www.firsttitle.com.au and Stewart Title www.stewartau.com The policy has a one off payment.

Hi,

One option for you is to take out Title Insurance. This is an insurance cover that two insurance companies offer. They will cover you for the events you have described and will work out a solution and cover the costs, i.e they would negotiate with the neighbour and cover the costs of buying the land if required.

The two companies are First Title www.firsttitle.com.au and Stewart Title www.stewartau.com The policy has a one off payment.

Geat idea Trevor.

Great, thanks for the heads up, seems reasonable one off $300 premium for up to $500k. Seems a novel idea I don't imagine too many have bought this insurance before and would be able to comment on the process for the unfortunate situation of having to claim?

Spoke with Stuart Title yesterday and process seems simple up front, exchange contracts, purchase title insurance and any issues arise they step in to sought out:
1. Pay to purchase back land in question
2. Pay legal fess to fight it in court
3. Reimburse you the difference in value of your block taking into account the suspect land.

All sounds good on paper would be interested to hear real world example.

Cheers for all the input.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, please obtain your own legal advice.

Queensland has legislated prohibiting adverse possession claims against part of a lot: Land Titles Act 1994 (Qld) s 98(1)(a).

So if somebody is illegally occupying the whole lot - such as squatting in the house - there is the possibility of a claim, but if the previous owner was in substantive occupation, my understanding is that there is no possibility of adverse possession with respect to boundaries due to misplaced fences.

Cool, this seems more up to date rather than the archaic rule of obtaining rights through adverse possession, and thanks again for all input greatly appreciated.

Back