protocol

hi all,

This isn't for me but for a friend - a real person, not an imaginative friend.

But what is the protocol if you have a very elder tenant who has been renting this unit for many years and has no immediate family and they suddenly die on you.

What do you do with her stuff - and is their any time period you must wait for someone to claim it (and for you to go in and organise the place for the next tenant). Presuming she has all her financial affairs in order and there are no bills, and no immediate family, then who or where does her belongings go to?

This is actually for my colleague who has been renting a one bedroom Qbn unit to this very old lady and he is worried that she may keel over on him and he has no idea on what to do.

Thanks

g

Find out before it happens who the executor of the will is (tough question to ask someone, I know). If there isn't one, suggest the Public Trustee. Then at least your friend will know who to deal with.

But what is the protocol if you have a very elder tenant who has been renting this unit for many years and has no immediate family and they suddenly die on you.
Get the body out of the house before it stinks-up the joint :D

What do you do with her stuff - and is their any time period you must wait for someone to claim it (and for you to go in and organise the place for the next tenant). Presuming she has all her financial affairs in order and there are no bills, and no immediate family, then who or where does her belongings go to?
Her estate as per anyone who dies. Long distant relos. There is a statutory time you must store their belongings. Check the tenancy laws in your state or territory.

We had one of these old dears staying in a granny flat. If we did not see her for a few days the protocol was to see if there were any blow flies hanging around the back door :) (her suggestion).
She also had a body bag (I don't know - don't ask me :confused:) Anyhow we suggested she sleep in it on top of the mattress - to avoid heavy lifting we could just zip 'er up ;)

Hi gg1965

I had the same happen with one of my elderly tenants recently. The whole matter was handled very efficiently by the Public Trustee. They removed the tenant possessions and checked if the rent needed adjusting either way. If property is furnished they will seek proof (via the lease ) that the furnishings are not in fact owned by the dec'd.

We had similar concerns with an elderly tenant a few years ago. As we self-managed, we asked her for contact details of her son and daughter "just in case". BTW, the "just in case" was for our benefit (didn't tell her that), we told her it was so we had a second avenue of contact in case she was away on holidays and we needed entry.

I suggest you ask for contact details for her next of kin or legal representative.
Marg

Back