Provide phone, yes/no ?

I'm hoping to get a tenant into my apartment very shortly, and I'm wondering
A) what my responsibility is in wrt supplying a physical phone
b) if it's a "nice gesture"

I ask because the place we are moving into has a simple touch phone supplied, but i'm leaving no cables or phone or anything at my place, cause it was simply not there in the first place.

Is it something I SHOULD provide, or something that it would be an appropriate gesture ? I suppose it's related to an actual phone lnie, in that i'm not erquired to connect a phone service, nor do i require the tenant to do so..

In addition, i'm considering buyin somethin like a 4pack of toilet rolls and a toilet brush thinggy to leave for the tenant. Maybe a few other things like some tablets for the dishwasher etc

Good/bad idea ?

Hi Camel

All the places I've rented have had a phone (a really simple Telstra one) - I'm sure you have one sitting around somewhere.

I like the touch with the toilet paper - not sure about the brush though. My understanding is that everything that you rent with the house is your responsibility to maintain too, so the less extras there the better. If you'd like to give it a personal note how about a bottle of wine and some chocolates in the kitchen as a welcome?

kaf

Leave a full roll in the loo, perhaps wine- but leave a little pack with a few sachets of coffee, a couple of tea bags, sugar, a couple of small packs of UHT milk- with a welcome note.

Then tenant will be thirsty, will want the loo, and will not know what boax it's all packed in.

thanks for the suggestions.. dunno where to buy the individual coffee things though.. unless i can go steal some frmo a hotel..

unfortunately though, I do not have an old phone sittin around anywhere.

Have a look in your supermarket - there are coffee bags (they look just like tea bags) which are apparently pretty nice (I don't drink coffee). Can't remember the brand.

Good of you to think of this though, will do the same with our next place.

Cheers

kaf

as long as the phone point is still there, that's all i'd leave and not worry about a physical phone itself. most people nowadays have their own phone system (cordless, answering machine etc).

you'll find that they will either pinch the one from where they currently are, ring telstra and pick one up, or they can buy one from kmart for around $20.

wouldn't stress, as long as the outlet point is still intact.

Have a look in your supermarket - there are coffee bags (they look just like tea bags) which are apparently pretty nice ... Can't remember the brand.

robert timms is the brand, several different styles...about 4-5 bucks for 20 odd bags - not quite as good as brewed coffee, but not far off!!:D

Hi Camel,

No I wouldn't leave a phone for the tenant. You are not legally obligated to provide a phone line let alone a phone.

I really don't think people expect to have a phone provided, they either have their own phone or can rent one from Telstra.

And just imagine, if it breaks you will have to buy a new phone. Telstra charge extra line rental (I think) to provide a phone, why should you provide it for free?

When I opened the post I thought you were discussing whether or not to pay the initial phone connection fee for the tenant. Recently I have been debating whether or not to pay that, let alone a phone!

as long as the phone point is still there, that's all i'd leave and not worry about a physical phone itself. most people nowadays have their own phone system (cordless, answering machine etc).

you'll find that they will either pinch the one from where they currently are, ring telstra and pick one up, or they can buy one from kmart for around $20.

wouldn't stress, as long as the outlet point is still intact.

Actually according to tenancy legislation landlords are not even obligated to provide phone points.

Nice gesture and up to the individual but certainly not enforced by law!

You could always try Freecycle for a phone - there are always people giving old phones away - you may as well take a second hand one that is otherwise going to be thrown out. No cost to you and I am sure the tenant would appreciate it, even if they use their own later. Look up your local group at: http://www.freecycle.org/groups/australia/ Too easy. ;)

You deserve a good tenant, The Camel! I always leave 1 spare roll of loo paper and leftover cleaning products like washing up detergent, "gumption", wettex etc and a few spare light bulbs. With the prevelence of mobile phones and wireless broadband these days you probably don't need to stress about the lack of a phone connection.

Good luck.

I would provide one phone connection, that's it. I wouldn't provide the phone, just the connection as not everyone has the luxury of being able to "survive" without a landline (I use mine for broadband internet, local phone calls and faxing).

If the tenant wants to install a second phone line, so be it. Let them do so, pay for it and then supply you (the owner) with all the receipts etc showing the total cost ... and I will (as the owner) reimburse the tenant for the costs AFTER it is all done and paid for ...

I also wouldn't provide the phone service connection as that is up to the tenant just the appropriate "hole in the wall" for a landline connection to be established if one is required by the tenant.

I would provide some basics to the tenant like the toilet brush. If there is a yard, rake, shovel etc. Yet all cleaning products and even toilet rolls are costs the tenant (and I'm speaking as one) should endure as part of living in the place.

If you have cutlery, bowls, etc that you don't use anymore yet are still good .. you could supply the property with them as well. Yet not needed as usually tenants will supply their own.

Hi GCG,

Yea, I know the tenants should, and will, provide all their own stuff like that, but it's just a "nice gesture" attempt.
Of course, the tenant may find it offensive, but i'll take the risk.

My PM gave me a voucher for "buy 1 get 1 free" at a certain large sandwich franchise emporium.....
My partner doesn't know yet, but we'll be using that on Monday...

so it's decided then.. I won't leave a phone.. mainly cause I don't want to have to buy one..
The phone line is connectd, and it has had broadband connected.. so they should be right with that.

Hehe. Come Monday that forumite will be faced with half the Canberra forumites, all calling themselves "TheCamel".

Back