Providing Furniture in House

Are there any benefits to leaving some furniture in a house that is about to be let out as a rental property? Can it bring the rent up higher to cover for the wear and tear as well?

I have a basic 2 bdr home in a town not to far from City (about 30 minutes). I'm going to live overseas for up to 6 months and I would have to pay for this furniture to be left in safe storage. Instead of storing it, I was thinking of just leaving most of it in my house I will rent out. There are things like a queen side kitset bed (that could be easily disassembled and put aside if tenant has own bed), there is also a cane lounge and chair, fold up wooden tables and chairs, a quite new fridge (must be worth an extra $10 a week?), good wooden slate blind for the main room, bamboo quality rug, wooden room dividers, two wooden open storage cabinets and that's mainly all.

Are there any benefits to leaving some furniture in a house that is about to be let out as a rental property? Can it bring the rent up higher to cover for the wear and tear as well?

I have a basic 2 bdr home in a town not to far from City (about 30 minutes). I'm going to live overseas for up to 6 months and I would have to pay for this furniture to be left in safe storage. Instead of storing it, I was thinking of just leaving most of it in my house I will rent out. There are things like a queen side kitset bed (that could be easily disassembled and put aside if tenant has own bed), there is also a cane lounge and chair, fold up wooden tables and chairs, a quite new fridge (must be worth an extra $10 a week?), good wooden slate blind for the main room, bamboo quality rug, wooden room dividers, two wooden open storage cabinets and that's mainly all.

Most tenants have their own furniture. The only thing that may be of use to a tenant, I would think, is the fridge. Having all the other stuff may be somewhat offputting to a tenant.

Why not ask your PM what she thinks, as some areas do have a demand for fully furnished. I would listen carefully as they will know whether or not to put your stuff into storage.

You seem to falling between two demographics - those with furniture and those without.

I reckon you would be better to decide whether to leave it fully furnished or empty (with maybe just the fridge if it is difficult to remove).

If you have a lockable garage the other option is to use the garage for furniture storage and rent the house minus the garage - clearly stated on the lease.
Marg

Most tenants have their own furniture. The only thing that may be of use to a tenant, I would think, is the fridge. Having all the other stuff may be somewhat offputting to a tenant.

Why not ask your PM what she thinks, as some areas do have a demand for fully furnished. I would listen carefully as they will know whether or not to put your stuff into storage.
Yes I was thinking most tenants will probably have their own furniture unless it is a student area which it's not. The problem with the fridge is that it's only 1 year old and if I come back in 6 months I would have to buy another one.
Yes I think I will talk to the property manager who I plan to meet up with later this week and see what they say as they know the area.

You seem to falling between two demographics - those with furniture and those without.

I reckon you would be better to decide whether to leave it fully furnished or empty (with maybe just the fridge if it is difficult to remove).

If you have a lockable garage the other option is to use the garage for furniture storage and rent the house minus the garage - clearly stated on the lease.
Marg
I was thinking of storing it in the Garage but it is not lockable at the moment and I doubt I will have the time to get that changed and a door put in.

thanks for the feedback. I guess I will talk to the PM and see what they say otherwise I guess I will just have to find a storage place in Newcastle to hold it at a reasonable cost along with my other personal and household items.

Depends on the condition of your other furniture, then you could achieve a higher rent for your property.

However, there needs to be a market for it. Investigate any other 'fully furnished' properties in area and speak with good agent (even a few) to draw conclusions.

If you do rent out with furniture, be sure to include on chatels in tenancy agreement. The downside to this is that if the fridge blows up, the bed breaks, etc, you are responsible to fix and repair.

When I was moving out of area and had some gear left on me (i.e. microwave, freezer, tv, etc), I included this as a gift to the new tenant and hence, weren't responsible for replacing them if anything broke. I think I got a bit more money aswell for this inclusion. (Tenants thoughts it was a good comprimise).

Cheers,

F

Another thing worth remembering is whatever is in the place when first rented must stay in there. My last property had an old gas heater. Working but old. I was going to leave it in there but the agent said to remove it. If i left it and it broke the next week i would be required to fix it as it was part of the lease. Worth thinking about

Is your house near any large organisations that import people from interstate/overseas? If so, approach said large organisation's HR department and see if they have any new starts coming up.

We have one of those organisations here and furnished houses rent out quite well, but ONLY to the interstate workers. Locals won't touch them. I thought about leaving my house part furnished too but ended up getting a local tenant and selling most of my excess gear. We were just moving to a much smaller house though not going overseas so we could still use the whitegoods.

Got any family/friends with a lock-up garage you could rent for mate's rates? Buy/hire a container and put it in your backyard if it works out cheaper than storage?

Back