Proximity of unit to train station

Hi, i am wondering what peoples thoughts are on how close a 1 bedroom unit should be to a train station. Even if the unit complex has a car space title, are there any schools of thought on how close you generally want to be, as i presume many people looking to rent a 1 bedroom unit would want to be close to public transport.
Thanks in advance

Hi nick, I bought a 1 bdr in mascot, just 100m to subway station. I had a tennant signed up before settlement at premium $$$. bought $380k, rent $450 pw. So in my experience public transport is a must in many ways. good luck

What are peoples thoughts on buses? If there is a bus stop close to a property that runs to a train station, is that as appealing as a short walk to a train station?

What are peoples thoughts on buses? If there is a bus stop close to a property that runs to a train station, is that as appealing as a short walk to a train station?

You need to ask yourself, would i like a short walk to transport or would i be happy catching a bus just to be able to catch a train. Bit of a headache IMO

To evaluate the train noise, try standing outside the property and waiting for trains to pass.

Some areas may be more prone to noise than others due to lack of buffers such as trees/bush etc. So a general comment such as "no closer than 50m due to noise" might not apply in all cases.

I also consider trainlines to be "growth lines" of a city. Growth follows infrastructure. So it may not matter specifically how close you are to the train station, but more so that you are in an area with/following a train line.

Thanks for all the replies so far, very much appreciated. In terms of investing for CG which suburb do people think has more positives; Kingsville or West Footscray.

Kingsville:
-Pros: Nice leafy area, close to yarraville, quiet area, not as many apartment blocks
-Cons: No close public transport, many people may not think of area to rent, shadowed by yarraville, no shops

West Footscray:
-Pros: Many areas close to public transport, still good value for 2 bedroom apartments, Shops
-Cons: Area not as nice as Yarraville, Many apartment blocks in similar location (Rupert, Cross St)

What are other peoples thoughts on this

Back