Proximity of unit to train station

Hi, i am wondering what peoples thoughts are on how close a 1 bedroom unit should be to a train station. Even if the unit complex has a car space title, are there any schools of thought on how close you generally want to be, as i presume many people looking to rent a 1 bedroom unit would want to be close to public transport.
Thanks in advance

Being close to public transport is generally a positive thing. However, I remember getting some advice about an area I was looking in last year and I was told to avoid areas close to the station (attracted too much riff-raff). You also have to consider the noise (depending on how close it is).

Hi, i am wondering what peoples thoughts are on how close a 1 bedroom unit should be to a train station.

The number of bedrooms doesn't make a difference. For example, you could have a two bedder, with two car spaces (rare) - rented to a couple who has a car each, but they decide to catch the train into work because they only use their cars irregularly.

My school of thought is that it's only marketable (ie to your prospective tenants), if it's within reasonable walking distance, eg, no more than 5-10 minutes.

My walk is about 15 minutes. Its long when the temperature gets over 33 or its raining.

I'd say under 800m and with no serious hills.

Being closer than about 1-200m to a station can be quite annoying since you hear every announcement from 6am onwards....

Hi Nick,

I guess the closer you are, without having the trains rattle your windows when they go past, the better. Having said this, I wouldn't want to be in a street so close that you have people parking their car there all day to catch the train to work.

As well as people with a car that want to use public transport to get to work, you'll have access to the market for those who have no car & just want to use the train.
:)

Thanks for the replies. A property i am looking at has a car park on title, and is according to google maps 1.3km from the nearest train station, which google estimates is around 17 minutes. Is that a bit too far away?

A train station approximately 1klm away is a good thing I believe, always being close to public transport is great for prospective tenants. Much closer though and that goes the other way (the noise, people, cars) as discussed.

I am keeping a very close eye on Beenleigh in QLD. Plenty of properties around 1klm from the train station and quite cheap at the moment (around $300 - $350k), most require a bit of a reno but thats fine, quick lick of paint and some landscaping.

The train station is about to undergo a major refurbishment too and its a central station with express trains straight into the city and the hospital, 25-30 minutes away.

I guess then you could take onboard what neophyte was saying about walking there in the rain or excessive heat.

How do you feel about walking that distance? 17mins doesn't sound too far away.

Personally 17 minutes wouldnt bother me at all, im originally from the country, so im used to walking a lot :p However for an investment property, do you think this distance may scare people away, and does the lack of shops also make kingsville a less attractive place to live? I personally really like the area, just wondering what some peoples thoughts are?

Had a look at your original post again & I was wondering what other factors you have looked at when assessing your 1bedder?

Transport is just one factor, where is the closest shopping centre and local group of shops (milk bar, butcher etc)? What is the street like: other flats/houses/car wrecks in front yards ;)? How many are owner occupiers in the block you're considering? Are there parks nearby? Is the area serviced by buses?

If all other things stack up, then the 17mins to the train station won't be a major detractor.

Unit is in a nice street and a nice looking block. Bus stop about 5-10 minutes away i would think. As it is in kingsville there are no shops, with yarraville being the closest around 1.5km away.

probably a bus up that road that goes to the station anyway.

Don't get caught in analysis paralysis.

There is no such thing as a perfect property.

Some tenants I know drive down to (and park at) the train station to catch it to work in the city despite being a very easy walk from their home. As others in the thread have said, getting one close to transport is terrific but let the prospective tenants decide if/how they'll utilise it.

I think 1km is a good ball park for maximum distance from the train station, if you want to market it as close to public transport. Most people wouldn't want to walk much further.

As many other ppl have mentioned, as long as you can't hear the train rattle and station announcements, you can never be too close.

FWIW, I think Kingsville is a nice suburb with a nice feel.

My preference

Here's my view/preference as I am currently renting.

Walking: 25metres - 1 km.
Driving: 1.01km-3kms if traffic towards the station is light and I can find close to all day parking.

I'm currently renting in North Strathfield pretty much 20-25 metres from the rail line and about 600m walk to actually access the station. I do hear the noise of the trains and so must my neighbours BUT the complex is always tenanted. On top of that, during my train ride to work (Concord West - Wynyard) I always look out the window and see units all along the rail line pretty much occupied which suggests the noise of train rattle isn't that much of a deterrent to living for Owner Occupiers and the rental market.

Fortunately for me I'm a heavy sleeper... the only thing that concerns me is a derailment of epic proportions :eek:

As others have mentioned.. there are other factors of attraction to the area besides transport. Besides the beach, I am 10 minutes away from everything. Retail heaven with Direct Factory Outlet, Top Ryde, Rhodes & Burwood Westfields Shopping centres and also Flemington Markets. Most sporting events and major concerts in Homebush. Cafe and fine dining offered by the Inner West. Also surrounded by parks, bike trails, recreational fishing (catch and release) along the Parramatta River and close to the gym. :)

Hi, i am wondering what peoples thoughts are on how close a 1 bedroom unit should be to a train station. Even if the unit complex has a car space title, are there any schools of thought on how close you generally want to be, as i presume many people looking to rent a 1 bedroom unit would want to be close to public transport.
Thanks in advance

another thing to keep in mind is close to actual station + close to railway line isnt as bad as close to railway line only - think of the speeds the trains are going - slowing down or only just leaving station if your close to it, but if you're somewhere half way between stations theyll be going past faster and louder.

Back