Psychological advantage of putting in a pre-auction offer

Considering how to approach a property that is up for auction. Not interested in bidding at auction and want to put in a pre-auction offer with conditions.
Situation:
Auction is about 3 weeks away. House is being sold because of an unhappy divorce situation.
I am thinking of making a reasonable offer with finance, building and pest conditions to be completed within 14 days, all prior to the auction date.

As to the psychology of the sellers:
If they are having an unhappy divorce, I think that they will be very keen to sell, and therefore possibly before auction if the offer/negotiations meet their expectations. (I sensed that one owner didn't have high expectations)
Even if they don't accept my offer pre-auction, and then the auction bids come in lower than said offer, it might encourage them not sell and return to private treaty.
After auction, I swoop in and scoop up the property with the offer they didn't want pre-auction...:D

How does that sound? Don't usually bother with properties that are going to auction but this one caught my attention. Am I completely off course with my thinking?

If they are having an unhappy divorce, I think that they will be very keen to sell, and therefore possibly before auction if the offer/negotiations meet their expectations.

This can work but remember the vendors are divorcing and one of the possible 'reasons' for their divorce may be the inability to agree on anything. Now you are asking them to agree to sell prior and to agree to your price - just something to be mindful of. ;)

I am thinking of making a reasonable offer with finance, building and pest conditions to be completed within 14 days, all prior to the auction date.

You mean an unconditional offer, where you waive the cooling-off period?

If not, don't waste your time.

As Paul said, it will have to be 100% unconditional to get a look in. No way would they tie the property up for 14 days prior to auction.

No, definitely no plans to make unconditional offer.

If the date for finance etc approval is before the auction, wouldn't this give them two bites at the cherry, as they can still proceed to auction... or would having it under contract mean it must be announced to all and sundry, thus scaring off potential bidders?

You are right Propertunity, the idea of getting an unhappy couple to negotiate could be a challenge. Would hate to see the property go for a dirt cheap price though (unless it is to me of course :D) when I might have been able to nab it for a decent price by some way other than the auction.

So if a pre-auction offer isn't going to do much good, is there some other tactic or approach to encourage them to hang on past the auction because there is an interested buyer around?

Back