PT Fees for student / nearly qualified

Hi

I've scored my first PT client. I'm working full time - (for extra info)

She works at my department and has seen & been impressed by my weight loss transformation from when I lost 31 kg from 2010 - 2012. Over the years we have had some chats & have even met for a lunch a while ago where she picked my brains. I do remember her mentioning how she would love me to be her trainer. This was like a year ago.

The other day she was one of my volunteers as a client at the gym. I gave her an appraisal, program, fitness test also discussed her goals etc. She gave great feedback to my leader.

Today she emailed me back to say she wants me to train her twice a week to begin with & then 3 times a week when she gets fitter!!

I'm not sure how to broach the topic of fees with her. It would be great even to have her so as to get some work experience but I need to keep in mind my time is valuable, I am offering a service. I can see & have a feeling she could turn into a long term client.

How would you bring up the topic of fees with her? $30 seems to be the going rate for new (student) PT's. Maybe she could buy 2 & get half price off the 3rd session? What if she can't afford it? I guess that's not my problem is it. But just how do I go about talking to her about fees?

Help please! I need to email her back tomorrow & need to know how I'll tackle this.

Thanks

Haha a lot is happening atm. I'm settling on a property mid December too.

Was she expecting free lessons?
Say you're very happy to help and let her know the fees as if it's something expected - you don't go to personal trainer and tell him to spend his time free.

I'd say spend a bit more time with her first couple of sessions rather than discount upfront. Then if she sticks and showing progress, you can give one free lesson out of nowhere as reward.

Congrats by the way :)

As you also work with her it is a bit tricky but I think it best to talk money at the first one, the longer you leave it the harder it will get.

Only because of the previous association and working together I would offer her the first one free and at the end say "I hoped she enjoyed her introductory lesson" and hand her a copy of my fee schedule.

I would probably charge the local going rate per lesson with every tenth one free (get a card and a stamp) or you could offer discounts for advance payments like gyms, maybe $30 per lesson on a casual basis or 4 for $100 which must be used within 3 months.

If you feel you want to tell her up front in your email I would say "first one is free and after that $30 per lesson or 4 for $100 in advance"

You would need to give them all some sort of record of payment and how many lessons they had used up and on what dates.

"Look I normally charge $<ridiculous figure>, but because your a great friend, I'm willing to do it for $<whatever>....."
:D

The Y-man

Hi

Thanks for all your help. I wrote this really long reply on my mobile last night and lost it. :(

I Only have a second to reply right now. I'll come back online later & tell you my plan :)

I would be inclined to give her a couple of half price sessions as a starter, especially if you are just starting out, but then charge whatever your fee will be going forward.

Be wary of giving "mates rates". My brother did that when he was starting his mowing business and he is too kind to increase them, so he is effectively losing money on these.

They are friends of our later mother, so it is hard to jack the prices up without feeling a heel.

$30 per session casual, or sign up and pay in advance for 12 months and get it for $20 per session

Was she expecting free lessons?
Say you're very happy to help and let her know the fees as if it's something expected - you don't go to personal trainer and tell him to spend his time free.

I'd say spend a bit more time with her first couple of sessions rather than discount upfront. Then if she sticks and showing progress, you can give one free lesson out of nowhere as reward.

Congrats by the way :)

I don't think she's expecting free lessons but I'm not sure on that.

As you also work with her it is a bit tricky but I think it best to talk money at the first one, the longer you leave it the harder it will get.

Only because of the previous association and working together I would offer her the first one free and at the end say "I hoped she enjoyed her introductory lesson" and hand her a copy of my fee schedule.

I would probably charge the local going rate per lesson with every tenth one free (get a card and a stamp) or you could offer discounts for advance payments like gyms, maybe $30 per lesson on a casual basis or 4 for $100 which must be used within 3 months.

If you feel you want to tell her up front in your email I would say "first one is free and after that $30 per lesson or 4 for $100 in advance"

You would need to give them all some sort of record of payment and how many lessons they had used up and on what dates.

Hi, I don't work with her personally. She's in another business unit on a different floor.

She's already had her free session last Sunday

Some good ideas there, thanks!

I've decided to work fees into the conversation when I meet with her at our works Christmas party. I'll have to be careful though as I don't want to look too money hungry cos thats not the only reason I'm keen to train her. I'm really looking forward to motivating her to get fit, lose weight etc. Money is important to though as my time is valuable... No one works for free!

I'll bring up this topic when I meet up with my course mates & leader/manager in charge during the week.

Hmmm maybe I can just be honest at the party and say to her

Alex P
"I'm not sure how to broche fees for my services, and what to and whether or not I should be charging you as currently I'm still a student. Other students are receiving $30 per PT session. How does that fee sound to you?

And see what she replies with

I would be inclined to give her a couple of half price sessions as a starter, especially if you are just starting out, but then charge whatever your fee will be going forward.

Be wary of giving "mates rates". My brother did that when he was starting his mowing business and he is too kind to increase them, so he is effectively losing money on these.

They are friends of our later mother, so it is hard to jack the prices up without feeling a heel.

Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I can mention that to begin with I'll be charging $30 per 30 min session and then with more experience under my belt my fees will go up to the going rate.

Hmmm maybe I can just be honest at the party and say to her

Alex P
"I'm not sure how to broche fees for my services, and what to and whether or not I should be charging you as currently I'm still a student. Other students are receiving $30 per PT session. How does that fee sound to you?

And see what she replies with

Sounds like a good plan. If she doesn't want to pay you, there are plenty of others who will pay you.

$30 per session casual, or sign up and pay in advance for 12 months and get it for $20 per session

Sounds interesting or maybe what I can do is have a 10 pack special. Buy 10 & get the next 2 sessions free! So that's 12 for the price of 10 $300 total rather than $360

What do you think?

Sounds like a good plan. If she doesn't want to pay you, there are plenty of others who will pay you.

Yep

I'll have to organise a business card. Just my name & mobile number on it at this early stage. I'm thinking I might create a Facebook group where I can post my transformation photos & my story. I can put the name of the group on my card. Facebook groups are cheaper than websites plus it's a social networking site/tool.

I'll have to keep it separate if I can to my regular Facebook page. I also plan to clean up my facebook page just in case there is something on there that I wouldn't want future clients to see (haha not that there is anything bad on fb, but you know what I mean)

I'll have to organise a business card. Just my name & mobile number on it at this early stage. I'm thinking I might create a Facebook group where I can post my transformation photos & my story. I can put the name of the group on my card. Facebook groups are cheaper than websites plus it's a social networking site/tool.

Consider adding some links to your Somersoft profile and opening up a bit about your location and who you are. You've told us lots of snippets about your journey and your challenges and there's some inspiring stuff in there. You might pick up some business from the forum.

I'll have to keep it separate if I can to my regular Facebook page. I also plan to clean up my facebook page just in case there is something on there that I wouldn't want future clients to see (haha not that there is anything bad on fb, but you know what I mean)

Very good idea. My first scuba instructor had a personal Facebook page and I sent him a friend request after diving with him a few times. At that point I realised he was gay, which isn't a problem, but I can understand how the photos of big hairy guys dressed in leather having group snogs can be off putting. Social media is part of how you present yourself to the world, make sure it shows you how you want the world to see you. ;)

Thanks, yep I need to develop an online presence & sell myself.

I have some more good news!

I bumped into one of her work colleagues just now, she commented about how she's heard good things about me! We got to chatting & she mentioned she likes to walk at lunchtime. I asked her if she'd be keen for me to train her too. I got an enthusiastic yes! So I'm thinking I'll train them both at lunchtime.

Im thinking I'll charge $15 for each client, if I'm training 2 at the same time. Also one lady only has 1 arm so I'll have to get creative with the exercises I choose.

If word of mouth keeps spreading I might have a nice little lunchtime boot camp business!!

Even if just 5 clients turn up that's $75 per 30 minute session cash in hand.
A couple of sessions per week, $150. Not bad. I'd also be enjoying it and getting some sunshine, and most of all helping my clients to get fit and lose weight!

I'm thinking I'll charge $15 for each client, if I'm training 2 at the same time.

A couple of sessions per week, $150. Not bad. I'd also be enjoying it and getting some sunshine, and most of all helping my clients to get fit and lose weight!

I like your pricing structure - all of a sudden it becomes a very affordable option for most people. Plus, doing it at lunchtimes means that otherwise busy adults can fit it into their schedules. Nice work!

There's nothing better than getting paid to do something you love. I'm the same with flute lessons - I get such a kick out of them, after thirteen months I still feel like I should be paying them, not the other way around.

Enjoy!! :)

Im thinking I'll charge $15 for each client, if I'm training 2 at the same time. Also one lady only has 1 arm so I'll have to get creative with the exercises I choose.

If word of mouth keeps spreading I might have a nice little lunchtime boot camp business!!

$15 for each person, or a special deal only for the first 2?

Best let them know as they may tell everyone it's only $15, what if one of them also wants to train after work with another friend, still $15?

Watch out for these... :D

Bridesmaids - Stolen Bootcamp Training Session

cash in hand...don't forget to save some for the tax man.

$15 for each person, or a special deal only for the first 2?

Best let them know as they may tell everyone it's only $15, what if one of them also wants to train after work with another friend, still $15?

Watch out for these... :D

Bridesmaids - Stolen Bootcamp Training Session

I would suggest $30 for one person, $20 each for two people and $15 each for three people.

Don't forget that you will have preparation time before the session to tailor exercises to fit each person's abilities.
Marg.

My PT charges $50/30 mins.

I split it with my friend and we go together so pay $25/each. When she started she was charging about $30 as well, so I think what you've said is reasonable.

I also love seeing her as she has a similar personality, and she's also lost ~35kgs. That's what I need to lose :eek:

I much prefer seeing someone that's done it before, she knows how hard it is - so I think you can be very successful!

Back