Public liability ins. Tenant injury.

I have an I.P where the agent reported something that needs to be fixed. 2 weeks later the builder still has not been around to fix it. He had a look at it and said that he is very busy and will get to it.

If the tenant injures themselves, does Public liability cover it? Ive been paying the building insurance for 10 yrs with the same insurer with no claims thus far and obviously the policy includes public liability.

Do these insurance companies have a history of paying out under public liability or is it a case of getting blood from a stone...

Every week Im sending an email to the agent asking if its been fixed yet. They follow up on and recently reported back that the builder said its 'not dangerous'.

I would prefer only comments from insurance experts or if you have made such a claim in the past.

I'm a little offended that you only want to hear from insurance experts. What about someone with some common sense :D.

What is the issue? Is it dangerous? If it is, then get another builder to do it NOW!

I am no insurance expert but would think you, as landlord, have a duty of care to the tenant to repair anything dangerous as soon as reasonably practical and in the meantime you should make arrangements to make it safe.

I am sure if something happened and the insurer had an opportunity to argue that you didn't take all reasonable care then they would try not to pay.

I don't really have much insurance litigation experience either, but I'd be very surprised if your average public liability insurance for a landlord actually covered a scenario where the tenant was injured.

Best to check the PDS and the specific wording.

I don't really have much insurance litigation experience either, but I'd be very surprised if your average public liability insurance for a landlord actually covered a scenario where the tenant was injured.

Best to check the PDS and the specific wording.

I'm sorry to state the obvious but if public liability doesn't cover a scenario where the tenant is injured, what does public liability cover? It is my understanding that this is what public liability is for exactly.

I'm sorry to state the obvious but if public liability doesn't cover a scenario where the tenant is injured, what does public liability cover? It is my understanding that this is what public liability is for exactly.

I am not sure myself.
Members of the public/visitors (rather than the tenant) having an accident and injuring themselves without the occupier/landlord knowing or reasonably foreseeing a problem which could cause the accident.

Back