Public Liability Insurance on vacant block?

Recently purchased a vacant block, and will be building on it later.

Should I take out Public Liability insurance now?

In years gone, I would not bother, but the way we like to sue people now, I'm wondering.

Having said that, I can't think of what I could be sued for?

GarryK

We insured a vacant block. Many gum trees, branches could have fallen on neighbours, or on people accessing block. Surveyors or others could have been injured.
But it wasn't easy - we had to use a broker as many usual insurers don't touch vacant land.

Last edited:
Get the insurance!!

Even someone who breaks the law by tresspassing on your property can fall over from a pot hole or similar and sue!

Hi Garry,

We insure all our bits of dirt........... if the neighbour's kids were playing on there and hurt themselves what do you think would happen ? :mad:

It can be quite hard to get liability insurance, we were only able to get one quote, and we got that because we had two policies with the Co (CGU).

It costs us about $500 per year / per block, I would rather pay that and hopefully limit my liability than be shafted by some careless sod looking for someone to blame for their stupidity and carelessness.

Vacant Land Liability Insurance - I have the answer!

G'Day Garry and others!
I also found that Vacnat Land Liability Insurance was hard to find and once found it was very expensive for what it is.
So I built a company and product to solve eveyone's problem, please visit my website www.landcover.com.au
The annual premium including all charges is only $150.00 for a $20,000,000 Limit of Liability - the Insurer is QBE Australia.
I trust this will help everyone!
Matt - Landcover Pty Ltd

I am bumping this thread up to ask has anyone had dealings with Landcover Insurance ?

Backed by QBE should be OK but thought I would ask for an update

I bought a policy through Landcover the other day after reading the policy details. Seems ok. Won't know for sure I guess unless I need to make a claim. But $150 didn't seem too bad.

I am kicking myself as I forgot all about this thread and took out a policy on 2 blocks, cost me $1k.

$700 bucks too much :mad::mad::mad:

Will this cover you if you are building on the vacant land? or is that the builder with their own builder insurance that would cover you?

Does anyone have any update on this? It costs $175 now which is so cheap which makes you wonder if it is a light weight product.

Tools

I have a landcover policy, they are a representative of a broker MFP Insurance Brokers, its underwritten by CGU.

Get the insurance!!

Even someone who breaks the law by tresspassing on your property can fall over from a pot hole or similar and sue!

I have always been interested to know how anyone would be able to prove, that they have injured themselves on your vacant land. Unless they literally had multiple witnesses or a rolling camera, insurance or not, why would anyone pay anyone a cent, without 100% proof.

I have always been interested to know how anyone would be able to prove, that they have injured themselves on your vacant land. Unless they literally had multiple witnesses or a rolling camera, insurance or not, why would anyone pay anyone a cent, without 100% proof.
The law doesn't require 100% proof, it requires "more likely than not", and the court would ask what incentive the person has to claim that they hurt themselves on your property rather than any other property. Usually none. Unless you had completely fenced off your property, or there was some particular reason to suspect that their testimony is untrue, the court would generally accept their word that they were there when they injured themselves.

Back