Public Liability Insurance - Personal?

Hi guys,

I have an insurance question for you all around public liability insurance.
I know small businesses can take public liability insurance, but does a similar product exist for individuals?

Say for instance I am walking down the stairs having a chat with my neighbour, I trip and make my neighbour fall down the stairs and she breaks her back: can I be covered for this incident if she decides to sue me?

Or maybe I am doing a bit of gardening on my balcony and while cleaning a plant, I drop the pot and it falls on someone's head, injuring them for life.

Or I could be cleaning my car on a sunday afternoon with the water hose, my old neighbour walks by and slips on the wet ground, falls down and cracks her back.

You get the idea - it's around unexpected and unpredictable everyday life's incidents.

I have had a good look through the websites of major insurers but could not find a product to cover these sort of incidents.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Check you House and Contents policy.. Mine (YOUI) says.

1. Legal Liability
What is Covered?
Buildings
Under your buildings policy, up to $20,000,000 (including all legal and defence costs and GST) for your legal liability to pay damages arising from a claim for an accident that results in death, bodily injury, or damage to property of a third party not living with you, if:
*the accident arises in connection with you owning the premises; and
*you are responsible for taking out building insurance cover; and
*the accident occurred during the term of your buildings policy; and
*the accident occurred at the insured premises.

Contents
Under your contents policy, up to $20,000,000 (including all legal and defence costs and GST) for your legal liability to pay damages arising from a claim for an accident that results in death, bodily injury, or damage to property of a third party not living with you, if:
*the accident does not arise in connection with you owning a building; and
*the accident arises in relation to you, your household members or your contents; and
*the accident occurred during the term of your contents policy; and
*the accident occurred anywhere in Australia.

and of course a whole lot that is not covered :) Check your PDS

Thanks mate, appreciate the answer!
Yes I thought of checking the home insurance - will need to have a closer look.
What if the stairs incident was to happen at the shopping mall for instance or in a public place not at home?

Anyone else has got another suggestion?

Thanks!

If the accident is in a public place? The shopping centre would have insurance if you slipped and dragged your friend down. If you were mucking around and it was your "fault" probably no insurance would cover you anyway.

My policy does say under contents, that cover is provided for an accident anywhere in Australai.

If someone is talking to you and is not watching their footing then it is their own fault.

If on your property then your insurance should cover a real accident, if on common property then the BC insurance, if on the footpath then council insurance and if within a commercial property then the commercial entity's insurance.

All just my opinion but I have been around for awhile :)

What if the stairs incident was to happen at the shopping mall for instance or in a public place not at home?

Anyone else has got another suggestion?

Thanks!

On the slight chance you were totally responsible ie knocked old man down while rushing down stairs, then yes, a good insurance policy will cover you. Using Allianz as an example, you will notice at p34 of http://www.allianz.com.au/aalaus/aalaus.nsf/docs/94FDC606DDAE6A73CA257AF5001DEBD8/$file/POL005+04-09_SPDS034+01-13_SPDS063.pdf that the policy covers you worldwide.

The Youi policy at http://www.youi.com.au/attachmentHa...w8hEZyRxIJYGy0ie2L335Qa143iI+QggBYdZuvrShtA== states on p31 you will only be covered in Australia.

Regards

Shorts

Back