Pulling out equity from dev : LOC vs. Refinance

Hypothetically, I build a 4 unit development that adds about 200k equity when completed. Is it better to refinance the units at the end of the build with a new updated valuation and pull the newly created equity out to fund other investments.

Or is it better to run a line of credit out of the existing loans?

I am not too sure what the difference would be, except the LOC would be at a higher interest rate.

Hypothetically, I build a 4 unit development that adds about 200k equity when completed. Is it better to refinance the units at the end of the build with a new updated valuation and pull the newly created equity out to fund other investments.

I am not too sure what the difference would be, except the LOC would be at a higher interest rate.

See most post here
http://somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1260920&postcount=26

To access equity you would generally want to use a LOC. But first you need to uncross collateralise your loans if you are splittinng titles. Then you can set up a LOC - either with the same lender or with a new lender.

See most post here
http://somersoft.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1260920&postcount=26

To access equity you would generally want to use a LOC. But first you need to uncross collateralise your loans if you are splittinng titles. Then you can set up a LOC - either with the same lender or with a new lender.

Terry - Couldn't you access the equity by uncrossing the loans, which involves a revaluation? Then you could loan additional funds through the revaluation up to your 80% LVR (i.e. original LVR).

Terry - Couldn't you access the equity by uncrossing the loans, which involves a revaluation? Then you could loan additional funds through the revaluation up to your 80% LVR (i.e. original LVR).

Correct, that's the most streamlined method that we usually take when splitting up developments.

There is no difference, you're getting confused by terminology. What you're really wondering is what product is most suitable.

In most cases, a simple top up (increase) of the existing loan would probably do the job you want it to.

A refinance is when you move the loan from one lender to another.

A LOC is simple an ongoing interest only variable loan which tends to be more transactional than a regular interest only variable loan, and they usually charge you more. If you don't need the transactional features, a LOC often isn't necessary.

Back