pups4sale

You are having me on. I checked the breed standard for Border Collie. No mention of "lemon". http://www.ankc.aust.com/borderco.html :p
Hi Brenda,

No, not having you on. They are basically a very pale "red", but not the "chocolate" red. I know it all sounds a bit wierd, but the standard is black and white, but then there's red / chocolate, lemon, merle, brown and a heap of tri-colour combinations too. I guess its the terminology, but I'm looking for Kay and she doesn't like the red (too dark) and we already have our gorgeous boy Gerry who's a standard black and white.

I'll see if I cand hunt down a photo of the colour, but think pale red... :eek:

OK, found one from a breeder in VIC. Check out the picture at the bottom of their two dogs: Penny and Blaze O Fire. Beautiful example of a lemon border collie. I wonder if they've got plans for another litter soon...

I checked and both those dogs are registered as "red and white", so I guess I should be looking for "pale red" and not "lemon". :D

And here's an even better breeder's site I found for all the different colour combinations. Yep, definately red and white I'm after. In fact, I've emailed this breeder now as she has a litter due any time with November availability.

Cheers,
Michael.

Last edited:
And here's an even better breeder's site I found for all the different colour combinations. Yep, definately red and white I'm after. In fact, I've emailed this breeder now as she has a litter due any time with November availability.

Be ready to send a deposit the second you are advised they are born and your colour is in there. Then the breeder knows you are serious and will reserve on for you.
I can't tell you how many times people ring me up and say keep one for me. When I ring them at the 8wks old and ready to go they say they got one somewhere else.
That's mainly the reason I have two pups for sale now; one got a poodle instead and the other doesn't return my calls. I got too soft and didn't demand deposits this time. :eek:

Be ready to send a deposit the second you are advised they are born and your colour is in there. Then the breeder knows you are serious and will reserve on for you.
Good advice!

I just got this email back from that breeder:

"Hi Michael, Thank you for your inquiry I do have a litter at the moment and there is a red girl but at this stage she is spoken for, I don't know of any one else at this stage who may have one, if for some reason the pup is cancelled, i can let you know, or I can put you in the order book, I would also need a landline home phone number, kind regards..."

What a shame. :( Ah well, I did ask to be put in the order book and provided my home number.

Thanks for your help Brenda!

Cheers,
Michael.

The thought of the process involved!
Like Mike Tyson dating Jessica Simpson. :eek:

I think it would be the other way around as the ***** is usually the bigger breed to facilitate carrying and delivering them.

{What is wrong with b1tch in this context!!!}

Like Queen Latifah dating Andrew Denton ....

What a shame. :( Ah well, I did ask to be put in the order book and provided my home number.

The good ones are worth waiting for. Keep touching base by email from time to time and the breeder will really, really know you are interested.

If the breeder phones and speaks to you, often they may deduce the pup may have a far better home with you than the one on the waiting list.
It's been known to happen. :)

Michael,

Why don't you consider one of those poor doggies at the pound that have only days to live. Does it really matter what colour/breed they are. They all just want someone to love them and care for them and in return they will give you lots of love.

Please consider rescuing a pound doggie.

Michael,

Why don't you consider one of those poor doggies at the pound that have only days to live. Does it really matter what colour/breed they are. They all just want someone to love them and care for them and in return they will give you lots of love.

Please consider rescuing a pound doggie.
My wife's a complete softie for that sort of thing. She was always the one rescuing strays as a child. She even rescued a cat called vermin once and tried unsuccessfully to rid it of its evil temperament. Unfortunately, that was a lost cause from the outset and vermin had to go back to the pound. She lied and said its name was fluffy to at least give it a fighting chance of being re-homed. In fact, she felt so guilty about doing it that the very next day she went back intent on rescuing vermin again. She walked up to the storage area where vermin was being stored ready for a pleading hello but got complete disdain in response. Vermin actually hissed and spat at Kay which unfortunately decided Vermin's fate once and for all. But that was only one example of the many animals Kay rescued, and most ended up living a full and happy life with Kay.

But unfortunately, this time we can't go that route. We want a pure bred Border Collie girl with papers as we're thinking of having a litter to Gerry from her. He is a beautiful pure bred boy and having a litter of pups in the house would be awesome and I'm sure Aden would love it!

Cheers,
Michael.

I'm sure your pups will get good families Brenda and Simon and I hope you get lucky with your red/white collie Michael.

We have just had to put down our 11 year old labrador and have recently been told our 10 year old Bull Arab has cancer..I will be substantially messy when he leaves us...few dogs will let your little kids ride them around like a horsie, tug their ears or let them sleep on him...one in a million! We have two of his pups though...but they are big paws to fill.

Not entirely in topic but we used to have a cat, saved her from the channel over the road where some sod had thrown her in a plastic bag (landed on the bank and not in the water). She never grew to be big, but boy did she hunt; the rats and the mice were ok but the parrots, lizards and frogs weren't so I told the kids that she would be the last cat we would own. Well it was only a year or so and we came home from our sons birthday party to find her playing with something on the lawn...it was a small brown snake...she must have dragged it out of the garden and had chewed it in a few spots while it was still alive. It had bitten her a couple of time too apparently as within 20 minutes she started to shut down and Daryl had put her down. I will always be grateful that she found the snake before the kids did; it was so small that it wouldn't have been easily visible on our lawn even, only about as thick as a little finger.

I hope you find good homes for the poochlettes Brenda and Simon. I'd be lost without my wee boy, who is now 14 years old. He's blind and deaf, but still has his sparkle arkle. (He's the wee fellow in my avatar! And his real name is Sailor.)

As you are aware from my other thread, The Beach House will be finished soon, and we will be moving. I'm a bit concerned about how Sailor will adjust to a new home and finding his way around, given his sight and hearing are almost gone.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but there seem to be many of you who are quite knowledgable and experienced about dogs, so I'd welcome any advice you may have that would help Sailor adjust to his new home.

I bet his favourite spot will be laying in the morning sun on the front verandah. It may be helpful to try to get him to use a kitty litter out there at least for number ones. Old bones don't like steps much.

Play his favourite music at home before you leave so he gets used to the sound and then play the same music at the new place.:)
Oh, I see he is deaf? Well it might need to be loud then! :)

Sailor....and ...um, Sailor..I reckon the little dog should do well, if you have already been "conditioning" him, introduced him to his new environment, that is part of newness and unfamiliarity over.

If he has had multiple opportunities to be at the beach house with you then he would already have it's different scent on his radar...and whatever he has left in sight and sound.

Ideally if he hasn't had much exposure (with you) at the beach house, you could take him over (on a lead) and introduce him to it...keeping him on his lead walk him through the place, including all the rooms and yard area, do this as often as you can.

A dog that has obviously got such a strong (and longterm) bond with you is going to adjust ok because you the (top dog) are going to be with him....just like my dogs can accompany me to different farms and be settled and exhibit their sheep handling training techniques...they have enourmous trust, bond and see me as the pack leader..

Only concern is the long stairway entrance and if he (due to eyesight/hearing decreased sensory perceptions) loses his footing etc...your balconey is it little body proof? Small kids, dogs can't get through any gaps or climb over?

When I get a new dog to train here I have them on a leash and walk them around for few days letting them get accustomed to all the new sights sounds, and keep a close eye on how they are settling in, it is quite possible to train deaf dogs, I have done so (hand signals) but Sailor is vision and hearing impaired so it would good and wise to just settle in with him and keep a close eye for first few days...if you have had the introductory visits already, it should be easy peasy. Obviously his food and water and bedding will still be the same gear? so that's all familiar scent..and if you are worried about him being there while you are at work, maybe dog day care? until a little time passes...

Give the little guy a pat! Sorry to hear the eyesight and hearing aint flash.

Update

Update: One puppy left to find a home. Two other are still here to keep him company though. One flys out to Sydney next Saturday, and the owner for the other returns from Sydney to collect and take home to Brisbane on Thursday.
It is so hard to stay aloof with them and not have them bond to me. Les says I can't keep one as I already have 5 dogs. :)

...his favourite spot ...morning sun ...front verandah. ...kitty litter...Play his favourite music at home ...play the same music at the new place.:)
Oh, I see he is deaf? Well it might need to be loud then! :)
Yes, he does love sitting on his bunk in the mornings pervaying his domain. His fav music is "Royal Australian Navy" http://www.navy.gov.au/ranband/discography/quarterdeck.html and I can just see me playing this out loud!:D But I'll give it a go.

...multiple opportunities to be at the beach house with you ...

...long stairway entrance ...your balconey is it little body proof? Small kids, dogs can't get through any gaps or climb over?

...his food and water and bedding will still be the same gear? ...maybe dog day care?
Give the little guy a pat! ...
Yes, he loves visiting the Beach House, but hasn't been very often because I was concerned about him getting hurt with all the construction stuff around. Balcony is body proof. His gear will all be there in roughly the same places it is now. I plan to take a week off work to unpack, so no need for doggy day care.

Update: One puppy left to find a home. Two other are still here to keep him company though. One flys out to Sydney next Saturday, and the owner for the other returns from Sydney to collect and take home to Brisbane on Thursday.
It is so hard to stay aloof with them and not have them bond to me. Les says I can't keep one as I already have 5 dogs. :)
Congrats Brenda...and a jet setter at such a young age...way to go. Your puppies are so gorgeous...I'd have trouble parting with them too.

Brenda:
It is so hard to stay aloof with them and not have them bond to me

I used to breed, train and sell working dogs; the puppies training would start at 4 weeks of age. It was very important for me to create and nuture a bond, we had such an important close role to play together.

What I discovered was that wonderful bond transferred to their new owners (uhem, kinda tightly scrutinised-new owners:p )....they got sussed out pretty well and spent time here with me also; ( educated on how to operate/understand and utilise optimum talents of the dogs). If anyone wants one of my dogs they must demonstrate that they have a good understanding of dogs to begin with, can provide a loving, caring home and know the fundamentals of working stock.

Years later I still have them contact me (the people:p ) and meet with them and the dog, everyone is happy, the bond between the new owner and that particular dog is very strong....I strongly believe a bond forged between pup and human can be transferred to the new owner, especially if the new owner knows all about being the pack leader.

Most of my education about working dogs came from this amazing man; (wonderful philosophy about working dogs and general canine handling and understanding):

http://wkgdog.customer.netspace.net.au/

Parting with dogs was sad at times but I was very confident they had a capable loving owner to work with....there is a great deal of satisfaction in that, it kinda surpassed the heart strings being tugged upon about the animal leaving me...and also there was a refund of the $2000 if they were not satisfied with the dog's work....I have never had a dog returned, I've never had to advertise....and so far so good all the dogs are living productive (and very much cared for) lives. The matching up of owner to dog and education of the owner was a vital part, as was the bonding initially.

Dogs rock.:)

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/kaptainkordie/

The ones on the grass are the latest pics at 3 weeks old. Taking pics of pups is hard as they dont sit still long.

I usually take my dog to the pharmacy and she is quite popular and allowed in. Today I took a pup and looks like a sale already - 9 to go ...

Just joking. We are keeping one and have homes for another four. Will be putting the ads out in another few weeks and they will easily go - I will be very fussy on who gets one of my dogs. Nice folks only! Which is a shame because at local petshop prices Rosie produced a $12000 asset!

Cheers,

Puppies all gone

The last two puppies have found themselves great homes and now I am puppy free.
The jetsetter is living in plush surrounds in Sydney, and has a mini schnauzer friend to play with.
The last one went to a family of 6 with 2.5 acres in Brisbane to run around in. He has especially made a young boy very happy. :)

Back