purchasing a new townhouse without a lawyer?

A friend came yesterday to ask my advice on purchasing a new townhouse without a lawyer.

With shallow pockets, he said: as there are about 6 townhouses, same structure, same price, with same contracts. He thinks if there is no problem with others, he should not have problems, especially, he has a friend buying the townhouse next to his.

As I have never bought a town house before, neither new nor old. Anyone can provide some experienced advice, please? Thanks.

It never ceases to amaze me! Your friend can fork out $300-400K I guess for a t/house but won't fork out $1,200 for a lawyer to make sure it is all OK?:confused:

Just because 5 out of 6 are OK does not mean.........you get the drift.

A friend came yesterday to ask my advice on purchasing a new townhouse without a lawyer.

With shallow pockets, he said: as there are about 6 townhouses, same structure, same price, with same contracts. He thinks if there is no problem with others, he should not have problems, especially, he has a friend buying the townhouse next to his.

As I have never bought a town house before, neither new nor old. Anyone can provide some experienced advice, please? Thanks.

Are we talking conveyancing or something else?

The Y-man

Thanks all for your replies.

If it's an old house, I will suggest him to get a lawyer, as there are more search to be done. With a NEW TOWNHOUSE, seems much simpler. What could go wrong?

If it's an old house, I will suggest him to get a lawyer, as there are more search to be done. With a NEW TOWNHOUSE, seems much simpler. What could go wrong?

They could be built on the wrong block of land for starters :eek:.

They could be built on the wrong block of land for starters :eek:.

Exactly!.....and I have seen that happen IRL. :eek:
That's before you even start to mention the contract & special conditions.
Sunset clauses?
The very first page of the contract will contain a number of traps for the unwary when buying off a developer.....
How'd you like to pay a portion of the developer's land tax?
.....and so on.

I think I'd be more inclined to get a lawyer involved in a new development than purchasing an old block. The number of legal changes in a development would far exceed (IMO of course) the risks inherent in buying an existing structure that's been there a while.

Back