Purchasing a Puppy

Ok its that time.

I would like to hear comments from you in respect purchasing a puppy. There seems to be alot of options
1) Pet store
2) Breeder Registered
3) Breeder - not registered with a club etc

I am leaning to option 3 - Any comments on this one.
I do realise that its all in the nurturing of the puppy by me however I am getting confused with all the options

I'd go with a registered breeder - and would be very picky with the one I go with. Likewise, they should be sussing out the applicants for their puppies to ensure that they're going to suitable homes.

I haven't been on http://www.dogzonline.com.au/ for a while but it's a pretty good site with listed breeders for each breed and in each state.

Adoption is another great option.

There's no way I'd ever purchase from a pet store.

Cheers

Jamie

Pet shops result in far too many abandoned or unloved dogs. Boycott them and help stop the trade.

If you can't give a rescued dog a home that's OK,

http://www.doggierescue.com/

but only ever get a dog from someone who has been well recommended, as a breeder but better still as a dog lover. If they don't check you out first before you buy, then don't buy from them.

I would also suggest go meet and select your puppy. Worked so well for me (thanks Simon).

Rescued pet centres are the go. RSPCA, etc.

Save a dog.

Save a cat.

We got our current cat from one. Cost about $110 from memory.

They are properly vaccinated, desexed, registered, tattooed for identification, etc.

Many are moggies, but who cares?

I've done the purebred thing (German shepherd and Burmese cat). Not required if all you want is a companion for yourself and/or the kids.

I'd go with a registered breeder - and would be very picky with the one I go with. Likewise, they should be sussing out the applicants for their puppies to ensure that they're going to suitable homes.

I haven't been on http://www.dogzonline.com.au/ for a while but it's a pretty good site with listed breeders for each breed and in each state.

Adoption is another great option.

There's no way I'd ever purchase from a pet store.

Cheers

Jamie

+1 for this site. They also have a rehoming section for dogs which are surrended by their owners as they no longer want/able to look after their dogs anymore.
Many of these dogs are fostered by the State Association for that breed and come with training etc to help them settle in.
I fostered a Weimeraner earlier this year for 6wks until a new owner could be found. Our Weimeraner had sooo much fun having someone to play with all day.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/rescue/weimaraner.asp

Oooh a puppy thread! I'm considering a puppy too (have been for over a year, it's not a whim). How to go about it seems a bit headachey.

If I go through Gumtree, I'm encouraging backyard puppy farming. If I go through a reputable breeder, they don't advertise so I can't find them. The only breeders with websites rarely have litters and the litters they do have are 'booked' years in advance besides costing a small fortune.

I'd love to adopt a dog from the RSPCA (I adopted one of my cats from them) but I really want a puppy for the sake of my 2 cats who have never met a dog in their life. A puppy will be less threatening and intimidating and can be trained to be gentle with them. I'm hoping the cats will make friends with the puppy. This would be unlikely with a grown dog.

In case anyone has a puppy to toss my way, a labrador will do just fine, preferably white.

Or a poodle, ideally standard sized, so that I may create poodle art like so:

19.1n012.dog1--525x400.jpg

Only people that don't really like animals will buy them from a pet shop.

Nonsense. One of my cats was dumped by humans at a very young age along with her litter. Someone found the litter and took them to the local pet store. As they were still too young to be sold or put on 'display', the litter was split up and raised between the pet store employees and a local vet. They were hand-reared, loved and well taken care of. It was only logical to sell them through the pet store when they reached the appropriate age.

But I bought her at a pet store so I don't really like animals :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I don't approve of pet stores encouraging breeding, but the truth is a lot of the non-pure litters are unwanted and could easily end up drowned in a bucket if the pet store didn't take them. This applies more to cats than it does to dogs as dogs have a greater 'street value'.

You need only look at the 'free to good home' kittens to see that a non-pure kitten's life is worth very little and that backyard kitten breeding is an unprofitable adventure unless it's a fancy shmancy breed.

Nonsense. One of my cats was dumped by humans at a very young age along with her litter. Someone found the litter and took them to the local pet store. As they were still too young to be sold or put on 'display', the litter was split up and raised between the pet store employees and a local vet. They were hand-reared, loved and well taken care of. It was only logical to sell them through the pet store when they reached the appropriate age.

Right, so I might have been a bit overzealous with my blanket statement, but I still think it holds true as a general rule that pet stores do more harm for animals than good.

+1 Canada, pet stores can only source their cats dogs from the SPCA.
went to the mall, at the pet store some of our foster kittens are for sale, ALL the animals I know from the shelter
wormed et al, with vet <the unkindest cut of all> voucher

Hi Fifth

For a great Labrador, you can get the ones who have been trained for a year by the Guide Dogs but for some reason they do not go on to become a guide dog. They are already very well trained. As for getting along well with your cats, a puppy might be boisterous and an older dog may work better. You can talk to the people at Guide Dogs for more info about whether their dogs would be suitable for your situation.

Back