Purchasing a Puppy

Are you after a specific breed?

What Simon said is good advice. Different breeds > different temperaments > etc.

Also, consider getting two dogs... they are pack animals after all. In my experience, looking after two dogs is not twice as much work as looking after one.

Our dogs - Gunner (left, boy) and Bliss (right, girl). This was taken a few years ago and, sadly, Bliss is no longer with us. We now have an equally neurotic golden Cocker Spaniel (Willow is her real name, but she also answers to Willy / Nutbar / Monkey / Willow Pillow Pony).

DigiCam1_029.jpg

Last edited:
Dogs skin is a pale pasty white colour regardless of what colour their hair is :D

Last edited by a moderator:
...and as for where to get one, we waited almost a year for our pup based on:-

1 - Not buying from a pet store, I really don't believe in having dogs and cats on display in a shop window is remotely a good thing.

2 - We discounted a rescue dog this time around for selfish reasons, (my first dog, wanted a puppy).

3 - Discounted a lot of breeders that had litters already on the ground, (note that some were registered breeders). Having pups already on the ground with no home to go to is a good sign of a puppy farm. Some of the poor females that are used for breeding just get bread for litter after litter, it's heart breaking.

4 - So, that left us with picking from a choice of well regarded breeders that "rest" their females properly between litters and rotate the mums. This means a big waiting list as they don't spit out pups every 5 minutes, but worth the wait to get what you want, and in a way that doesn't promote backyard puppy farmers.

Interesting to note too, for the breed we were looking for, there was very little difference in price between a reputable, ethical breeder and the backyard mobs, (don't know if that is true of all breeds). It was just the wait that differed, and worth the wait in my opinion.

We found and researched the breeders through dogzonline.

Incidentally, the forum on that site is a great resource. If you suspect a dodgy breeder, post up on there as someone, somewhere will no doubt know about them and can give you a heads up on their operation, Just be prepared for some heartbreaking stories

I've gotten my last two dogs from RSPCA and rescuepet ... there are puppies available, you just have to keep an eye out.

I admit getting the first dog as a young adult was soooooo much easier than toilet training and having a naughty toddler in the house again

Attachments

• Photo1660.jpg
    Photo1660.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 55
I've gotten my last two dogs from RSPCA and rescuepet ... there are puppies available, you just have to keep an eye out.

I admit getting the first dog as a young adult was soooooo much easier than toilet training and having a naughty toddler in the house again

Those two look great! Faces full of character.

I should probably elaborate a little more on my post, I realize puppies are assailable from rescue but we were after a Great Dane. Not many rescue Dane pups come along. Oh, and as cute as pups are, man, they are HARD work to look after when they are little.

As for that "racist" accusatory post, WTF? Still trying to work out if it's supposed to be a joke. If not, then sheesh....

Consider a cross breed. This can take some of the inherent health and temperament issues out. We have a lab x retriever and a pure bred lab. The x is more robust, has less joint problems and a really sweet nature. The lab wont last as long and is a little neurotic. Interestingly Guide Dogs often use retriever/lab crosses for the reasons stated above.

My current dog is a rescue dog. A breeder surrended her mum when she was pregnant.
I used to have a cat and got two pups without any issues. They all got on well. Dogs were Miniature Pinscher and StaffyxCattle dog x Jack russEll.

I have a staffy x and I adopted her from Animal Aid as a 6 month old. She was one of six puppies they had from one litter and she was the smallest of them all. She is now 2.5 and is a much loved member of my family. May I suggest a couple of things:

Make sure you really want a dog. Remember they can live up to 15 years depending on whether you get a small dog or large dog. Generally smaller dogs live longer than larger dogs.

No matter how old they are they need walking, feeding, washing, affection and playing with. You need to invest time with them. It is not enough to dump them in the backyard when you can't be bothered to play with or walk them. They have feelings too.

Don't forget money. Food, toys (they can chew through everything), leads (will chew through those too if you are not watching), vet checkups, etc can add up. Choose a breed that is unlikely to have problems that may incur large vet bills (unless you get pet insurance). I suggest talking to a vet for recommendations on which breed are healthiest.

Puppies are only puppies for a very short time. Consider getting an older dog as they are already trained, or can be easily trained and are often easier to look after than a puppy that you have to toliet train (it can get messy!).

Never buy from a pet shop = all you are doing is enouraging the puppy farm industry.

Good luck and I wish you many years of happiness with your soon to be pooch. :)

Sue

In my experience, looking after two dogs is not twice as much work as looking after one.

I found it much much harder with two dogs than one, especially with training. But you are right they need company and to feel they belong. Mine are alone 10-12 hours a day during the week and are happy just snoozing in the sun together (I watch from work on my "Dogcam")

Attachments

• 09-28-42_977_00000.jpg
    09-28-42_977_00000.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 66
I watch from work on my "Dogcam"

Yes, but don't you find that spoils the surprise?

I mean, I get to come home every day and, as I put the key in the door, ask myself:

"I wonder what pillow / item of clothing / food / other object will have been destroyed today?"

I mean, I get to come home every day and, as I put the key in the door, ask myself:

"What pillow / item of clothing / food / other object will have been destroyed today?"

Never had that problem, but what I do have is Dogcam anxiety when it goes offline or they break into the living room, where this is no camera, and I don't know where they are.

It doesnt happen very often, but I have come home to:

- a pillow in about 50 pieces all over the floor

- two potplants taken down from the kitchen bench and the soil everywhere (thankfully that was a wooden floor and it vacuumed up)

- a live power cord to my laptop completely chewed through and a dog looking very sorry for himself in the corner (A Dog who before that day, and never since, used to chew speaker wires)

I found it much much harder with two dogs than one, especially with training. But you are right they need company and to feel they belong. Mine are alone 10-12 hours a day during the week and are happy just snoozing in the sun together (I watch from work on my "Dogcam")

Can I ask how does your "Dogcam" work, how much does it cost and where can I get one?

My dog is home alone during the day while I'm at work and she's a known escape artist. I'm yet to figure out how she does it! Last time she escaped she got caught by the cops!

"I wonder what pillow / item of clothing / food / other object will have been destroyed today?"

lol!
Our dog who is 2 and seems to still be a puppy is currently in big trouble for repeatedly digging up the new hedge plants (8) we planted. One has died so far from repeated replantings. I'm blaming DH for putting Blood and Bone at the bottom and I know that is what she's after as it smells soooooo good :rolleyes:
Chewproof is a challenge not a claim in our house. I've tried chewproof bedding/toys and she's beaten them all.

We were lucky with ours, in 4.5 years we've only lost one cap each (from when he was a pup and they'd fallen off the hook onto the floor).

He has never chewed or destroyed anything other than his own toys and certainly never had a go at any furniture.

He's stays home alone and snoozes all day long, he has free roam of the house and doesn't get up to any mischief.

Once in a blue moon I'll come home to find a sofa cushion in the middle of the floor, un-chewed. I think he just grabs one to rest his head on when he sleeps....lol, he's not as daft as he looks!

Ok its that time.

I would like to hear comments from you in respect purchasing a puppy. There seems to be alot of options
1) Pet store
2) Breeder Registered
3) Breeder - not registered with a club etc

I am leaning to option 3 - Any comments on this one.
I do realise that its all in the nurturing of the puppy by me however I am getting confused with all the options

Hi Shaneelastic

I would definitely recommend you adopt a pup from a rescue organisation in your State.

I foster pups from this group in Perth. We also sometimes receive pups from breeders who no longer can manage them and the condition of some the female adult dogs they use to breed is generally poor because they spend their life in a cage breeding. Can you imagine that??
http://www.safeperth.com.au/

I purchased my first dog through a breeder, but knowing what I know now I would not do this
http://www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/australian-puppy-mills/

Cheers
MTR

It doesnt happen very often, but I have come home to:

- a pillow in about 50 pieces all over the floor

- two potplants taken down from the kitchen bench and the soil everywhere (thankfully that was a wooden floor and it vacuumed up)

- a live power cord to my laptop completely chewed through and a dog looking very sorry for himself in the corner (A Dog who before that day, and never since, used to chew speaker wires)
I've got one of those stories -

Years ago I was renting a room off this bloke - he was a taxi driver and never home.

He had a beagle called Snoopy. The dog was crazy. It was left inside to its own devices all day long (and many nights). It spent more time with me than it's owner!

It wee'd on my bed 3 times, and tore up a brand new 3 seater lounge suite the guy had bought only days before. :eek:

I would never buy a pet from a pet shop. Often they are from breeding farms, would never buy from a backyard breeder either.

My first dog, was a pure bred Bichon Friese, beautiful dog, she lived 15 years.

Our second dog we got from RSPCA, passed all their personality tests etc, love her to bits but was obviously badly treated, we have had her for four years, not till we got her home did we realise, and still to this day, she becomes a shaking blithering, mess at raised voices, vacuum cleaner, picking up the broom. Inherent bad breeding, already as arthritis, has recently had her ACL repaired at great expensive.

Marley, who I am madly in love with is my eight month old pure bred Lab, from a registered breeder, with good scores etc, all details on his pedigree, parents, his parents scores. Sure he is a puppy and destructive, but you get that with any pup.

So I am biased about my preference for a well bred pup who I know his lineage, no hang ups or fears. Taken him for obedience training. I have never done formal training before but would thoroughly recommend obedience training as well.

Back