purchasing costs- buyer agent fee

Capital...Is it part of the cost base ??

ATO formed view in ID 2009/9 its non-deductible .This ID is a bit wierd since they focus on the issue of subsequent property manager and invoices. However it appears they may allow it to form part of the cost base if you read here http://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...-properties/Rental-properties-2012-13/?page=9. [ATO's new site is impossible to hyperlink sorry- Google ATO buyers agent] Note it says "may" !!

Unsure why this view is different from that of interstate travel to buy an IP..Preliminary expense which doesnt form part of the cost base.

Hi

Just saw that conveyance fee is capital base. Just wondering what about buyer agents fee?

Cheers

Buyers Agent fees get added to the cost base (like solicitors fees etc). If you borrow for them, then the interest is tax deductible. The fees themselves are not deductible until you sell and are taken into account for CGT calcs. See attachment ATO ID (interpretive decision).

Attachments

• ATO ID 2009-9.pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 56
Money well spent? :)

Just TOL, would buyers agent fee even be deductible? It's not really a purchasing cost, and it's not an expense related to generating income (since there is no income generated yet).

EDIT: the other posts came in as I was typing.

Propertunity, The ID doesnt say that at all. It addresses the question "is it deductible" (s8-1) and says No. It doesnt address the cost base issue.

A bit more research and have located ID 2003/361 which confirms its a second element to the cost base of the IP.

Buyers Agent fees get added to the cost base (like solicitors fees etc).

ID 2003/361

It must be incidental to the actual asset acquired. They do not get added to the cost base unless they are successful. In other words if any recommendation falls through and you end up finding a property yourself then you have done your dough.

ID 2003/361

It must be incidental to the actual asset acquired. They do not get added to the cost base unless they are successful. In other words if any recommendation falls through and you end up finding a property yourself then you have done your dough.

Correct. I was assuming (I know :() that the BA was successful.

Back