Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

A colleague, who is a cash buyer & doesn't require finance, tried calling one of the agencies mentioned earlier this week in this thread. Desperate to make an offer, he called 3 times over a week. The agent didn't bother calling him back. The house my friend wanted to buy sold 6 weeks later for less than what he was prepare to offer for it.

Can you see what i mean? It is plain dumb to ignore prospective buyers by not returning their calls. This sort of thing just drives house prices down. And that suits agents just fine .....cheaper houses are easier to sell, which means faster commissions. Agents then delight in using the lowest price precedents to persuade local owners that "the market is falling".

No it is not a conspiracy. It is just about self-interested twits wanting a quick buck. Their commissions are more important than our investments. Most local agents rent. Many have bad credit and are unable to obtain loans. That should tell you something.

Blah Blah Blah. I think your generalising and you obviously dont live in Melbourne. I invest in Frankston but live in Aspendale. Frankston has its issues of which distance to the city is my main one. But there are many other great features of Frankston. These are priced well in current valuations. Frankston also has many markets within the frankston market.

I look forward to more of your ranting about agents. Before you suggest i am an agent. I am not. I too distrust them and agree with a lot that Jenman has to say.

But they are not the reason Frankston prices are what they are in relation to other surburbs in Melbourne.

Maybe start a new thread NH

You could start a new thread NH and invite all your friends to join in your discussion. You could call it 'I hate real estate agents' and you could share stories about how real estate agents are responsible for your bad investments. Nobody follows your illogical theory about agents driving prices down as it is nonsensical. Why an agent would chose to ignore a cashed up buyer and then sell it 6 weeks later for cheaper isn't so he can get a quick buck. If this was the case, he would have sold it 6 weeks ago, the property would have now settled and he would have been paid. To imply that we sit around and wait for cheaper offers is absurd. Commision is incentive based. The more I get for you, the more I get and the better I look in the market place.

Your agent bashing has gone on long enough. As with any proffesion, there are good ones and bad ones. Tarring us all with the same dirty brush is what hurts the industry, and you are directly responsible. Open your eyes, sell your investment properties through a DIY website or N1 and get what you deserve...

You could start a new thread NH and invite all your friends to join in your discussion. You could call it 'I hate real estate agents' and you could share stories about how real estate agents are responsible for your bad investments. Nobody follows your illogical theory about agents driving prices down as it is nonsensical. Why an agent would chose to ignore a cashed up buyer and then sell it 6 weeks later for cheaper isn't so he can get a quick buck. If this was the case, he would have sold it 6 weeks ago, the property would have now settled and he would have been paid. To imply that we sit around and wait for cheaper offers is absurd. Commision is incentive based. The more I get for you, the more I get and the better I look in the market place.

Your agent bashing has gone on long enough. As with any proffesion, there are good ones and bad ones. Tarring us all with the same dirty brush is what hurts the industry, and you are directly responsible. Open your eyes, sell your investment properties through a DIY website or N1 and get what you deserve...

I have to admit i think the frankston agents are below par but having said that i agree with this post. The agent bashing has gone on long enough.

I also find it absurd that agents are keeping prices depressed. Agents beating the law of supply/demand. I HIGHLY doubt it.

Kind regards,

Matt

my buyers advocate seemed dis-interested!! This is the same bloke i was recommending not a week ago!! My biggest complaint is they seem totally not interested when they realize your only a little fish!! Dont these people realize that little fish grow up into big fat juicy (loyal) fish?
Aren’t they interested in long term relationships?? I’m happy to pay the fees. Hell, I’ve paid my Advocate $15,000 already!!

Matt, you posted the above tale of woe a few weeks ago & I felt sorry for you. Have you settled into your new home? When I get down to Frankston beers are on me matey. The fees you paid seem steep and it is very Christian of you to be so forgiving when you have 15 000 good reasons for being upset at agents. They've gobbled up your FHOGrant. Reading what you wrote down earlier this year made me boiling mad. BTW whatever happened to the bloke you were recommending, did he finally come good? It's always nice when someone does the right thing.

I'm not suggesting that agents be lynched or verbally abused. But if they chose to make a living doing whatever they do, it'd be good to see a more +ve attitude. Frankston has outperformed the greater Melbourne area in the last few difficult months. There is no reason for doom and gloom talk. And for goodness sakes return calls. It's good manners.

Frankston has outperformed the greater Melbourne area in the last few difficult months.

newhigh: Given that slack local agents are the cause of previous low prices in Frankston, does this mean that all the agents there have suddenly turned good and can take credit for relatively strong prices?

The missus said she heard on the news last night that the Frankston bypass is now going ahead, can anyone confirm this?

It's gone out to tender as of 2 days ago i think. Premier was on the radio talking it up again.

Also said it will go ahead regardless of federal funding or not. So i guess it is going ahead - just depends on a polly's word though.

my buyers advocate seemed dis-interested!! This is the same bloke i was recommending not a week ago!! My biggest complaint is they seem totally not interested when they realize your only a little fish!! Dont these people realize that little fish grow up into big fat juicy (loyal) fish?
Aren’t they interested in long term relationships?? I’m happy to pay the fees. Hell, I’ve paid my Advocate $15,000 already!!

Matt, you posted the above tale of woe a few weeks ago & I felt sorry for you. Have you settled into your new home? When I get down to Frankston beers are on me matey. The fees you paid seem steep and it is very Christian of you to be so forgiving when you have 15 000 good reasons for being upset at agents. They've gobbled up your FHOGrant. Reading what you wrote down earlier this year made me boiling mad. BTW whatever happened to the bloke you were recommending, did he finally come good? It's always nice when someone does the right thing.

I'm not suggesting that agents be lynched or verbally abused. But if they chose to make a living doing whatever they do, it'd be good to see a more +ve attitude. Frankston has outperformed the greater Melbourne area in the last few difficult months. There is no reason for doom and gloom talk. And for goodness sakes return calls. It's good manners.

Hello NH,

Yes all settled and moved in. So far so good.

My issue then was with advisors in general and there attidude towards starters out. Not so much real estate agents.

Remembering im paying my advisors where as the vendor is paying there real estate agent. RE'S are working for the otherside.

I still do beleave many get alot of money for sub standard work but to suggest agents are some how holding back the price in Frankston is wayyyyy over the top.

Kind regards,

Matt

The Frankston TAFE to Bay Structure - Leader Newspaper

More development for Frankston:-

http://frankston-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/investors-cash-in-on-frankston-property/

FRANKSTON could undergo its biggest makeover yet with tree-lined boulevards, chic cafes and a transport hub all earmarked for the city.

And the thrust behind the multi-billion-dollar makeover is all down to the global economic crisis.

Well, that’s what some planning experts are claiming.

They say developers are realising the city’s potential and are snapping up land made cheaper by the downturn.

“Investors who have the cash are deciding the time is right to buy here and that leaves Frankston poised to go forward with its vision when the market is ready,” said Frankston Council’s general manager of development, Mark Brady.

It is a major boost to the council’s TAFE to Bay plan, which aims to create a thriving coastal city with chic cafes, broad, tree-lined streets, a transport interchange hub and city centre apartments. The council wants to reconnect Frankston with the bay, building a Kananook Creek boulevard to complement the new boardwalks, the proposed marina and open up the streets leading to the waterfront.

Council confidence comes as wealthy developers - some of whom have begun a Nepean Highway rejuvenation - called for a push on the marina project.

Residents have also responded with enthusiasm, backing plans to take the city forward.

“Since coming to Frankston more than 10 years ago, my husband and I have never understood why the city has struggled to get out of first gear,” resident Marie Warner said. “Get the marina built and hand over the keys of the city to (developer) Rob Emond and his businessmen friends. Then maybe we can get this town moving before it’s too late.”

Other critics, however, claim Frankston is losing out on major development because of the problematic planning process.

“I know of many good builders who simply refuse to deal with Frankston City Council,” Harcourts estate agent Aaron Froling said.

“I’ve seen too many people burnt by the long delays.”

Frankston’s planning clearance rate for February was 84 statutory days, but an applicant can have their case heard at VCAT after 60 days.

However, Mr Brady said things are improving.

Urban strategy manager Nick Charalambakis said: “This is not a vague idea, it is a well-researched objective.”

The vision for Frankston includes five main precincts:

* CENTRAL PRECINCT
A greener town centre. Development of Wells St and Keys St as interconnecting thoroughfares, broad and well planted. Development of plazas with cafes and more residential buildings.

* KANANOOK CREEK PRECINCT
Major redevelopment surrounds the creation of a Kananook Creek Boulevard. Cafes, restaurants, a public plaza, recreational space and a hotel are envisaged. Steps and a walkway from the bay front on to a newly opened and planted Wells St.

* TRANSIT INTERCHANGE PRECINCT
A safe, attractive, state-of-the-art railway station aligned with Wells St, new bus station on existing rail land, new streetscapes to improve pedestrian environment. A site has been identified to the southeast for an aquatic centre.

* NORTHERN PRECINCT
A mix of residential, commercial and retail will be encouraged. An increase in housing across the precinct. Development of open air shopping streets alongside the shopping centre. Development of Beach St.

* SOUTHERN PRECINCT
Beauty Park and Frankston Oval preserved and improved. New plazas, public spaces and courtyards to be encouraged as well as interlinking paths, especially to parkland on the south of Central Activities District. Controlled-height development with small increase in housing, maintaining charm of local heritage sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6fMZpp1iA

Toni

Last edited:
First Step towards Frankston Bypass - Frankston Leader

http://frankston-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/first-steps-toward-peninsula-link/

CONSTRUCTION of a Frankston bypass, which the State Government says will create up to 4000 jobs, may start before the end of the year.

Premier John Brumby today called for expressions of interest to build the Peninsula Link, in an effort to get the project under way before the end of the year and completed by early 2013.

The Peninsula Link is a proposed 25km road link between EastLink in Carrum Downs and the Mornington Peninsula Freeway in Mount Martha.

Mr Brumby said getting the project started quickly would help deal with the global financial crisis.

“We need to get started now, so that the jobs, the investment and the project can start this year,” Mr Brumby said.

“This is a crucial project for the future of the south-eastern suburbs and the Mornington Peninsula. Importantly, the Peninsula Link project will create thousands of jobs – critical as we steer our way through the global financial crisis.”

State Roads Minister Tim Pallas said the project would be built under an Availability Public Private Partnership.

The agreement would mean a private operator would receive periodic payment from the State Government based on performance indicators, Mr Pallas said.

He said the agreement would ensure the road remained toll-free.

The environmental effects statement, which identifies and deals with the social and environmental impact of the project, should be completed by mid year, Mr Pallas said.

Toni

Last edited:
The missus said she heard on the news last night that the Frankston bypass is now going ahead, can anyone confirm this?

Hi W2BW it was in the age yesterday.
Frankston bypass a definite starter
Apr 01, 2009 4:35am
The $750 million Frankston bypass will be built as a public/private partnership, irrespective of whether the project receives funding from the Rudd Government.

The $750 million Frankston bypass will be built as a public/private partnership, irrespective of whether the project receives funding from the Rudd Government.

Under the funding arrangement the road will be built by private consortia that will then receive "availability payments" from the Brumby Government.

The road will not be tolled and construction is expected to create 4000 jobs.

Work is expected to commence by the end of this year with the road to be completed by 2013.

Article from: The Age

A colleague, who is a cash buyer & doesn't require finance, tried calling one of the agencies mentioned earlier this week in this thread. Desperate to make an offer, he called 3 times over a week. The agent didn't bother calling him back. The house my friend wanted to buy sold 6 weeks later for less than what he was prepare to offer for it.

Can you see what i mean? It is plain dumb to ignore prospective buyers by not returning their calls. This sort of thing just drives house prices down. And that suits agents just fine .....cheaper houses are easier to sell, which means faster commissions. Agents then delight in using the lowest price precedents to persuade local owners that "the market is falling".

No it is not a conspiracy. It is just about self-interested twits wanting a quick buck. Their commissions are more important than our investments. Most local agents rent. Many have bad credit and are unable to obtain loans. That should tell you something.

This incident is only an indication of how busy the agent is.

When they are:

busy - you can go to jump.

quiet - can I lick your feet, sir? (and you are on speed dial with them).

Hope someone can help. A house I'm looking at has a 'protected tenant' that requires them to pay 1.00 per year rent and it is a life long lease? Can someone explain what this is?

Hope someone can help. A house I'm looking at has a 'protected tenant' that requires them to pay 1.00 per year rent and it is a life long lease? Can someone explain what this is?

Never heard of this. But if thats true - i would not touch the property unless you can calculate discounted cash flows based on an assumption the person will last x years. Why buy a property if you cannot get market rent?

I have seen this adverstised some time ago... stay well away, I believe this is a legal issue, and I am sure the tenant will fight to stay there forever... at that cost. You can probably only make money from buying and selling, (if that would ever happen).

How old is the protected tenant?

I they are 70+ (and close to end of normal life span) it might be a good oppurtunity. I cant imagine there would be to much demand which would leave the price very much open to negotiation.

Matt

There are still lots of bargains out there in Frankston without having to take advantage of anyone. This sounds like a "Bad Karma" investment. The elderly tenant should have the right to feel secure. And the unfortunate owner should somehow be compensated - why should he have to sell out for less?
I keep well away from deals like these, cheap as they may seem.

chase sweeter fish

It is wise to avoid buying all blighted property. That would include houses affected by road reservations and protected tenancies. Sometimes, things are cheap for a reason. Learned friends, unless you are into the law,.... don't go there, it is not worth the heartache. There is better value elsewhere.

An interesting case: http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=AID/AID2001744/00001

My understanding is that the concept of Protected Tenants came about around the time when that well-meaning (but utterly misguided) pipe smoker, Ben Chifley, was PM. For those too young to remember, Ben PM was not our Property Manager - he was our Prime Minister.

Back then, tenants were often treated very shoddily. Big Ben Chifley was a man of ideas and a former engine driver before he turned to politics. He even tried nationalizing the (perfectly profitable) banks until the High Court put an end to his plans. In those heady days, there was even talk of the federal government taking over responsibility for tenancy laws from the states.

The idea of a Protected Tenancy was that disadvantaged folks should somehow have rights above and beyond those extended by the various state tenancy laws. It sounds fair enough in an ideal world. And say what you will, Chifley was very much into the idea of fair play. Not done with the banks, he sent the army into the coal mines when the coal miners went on strike.

A really interesting fellow with a booming voice and a huge heart. His successor saw fit to let the states handle tenancy laws.

History shows that meddling with the free market is unwise and can result in entire neighborhoods being blighted. One sees that in many inner city areas of the U.S where there are rent controls.

In New York city, rent controls are pretty common. Similar situations exist in Egypt, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Cuba and in parts of India where tenants can't ever be evicted. Once they move in, they are there for good (unless one has underworld connections)! Needless to say, this does little to encourage folks from investing in real estate. In NSW, there are between 5000-10 000 protected tenants whose rights are above those extended by that state's tenancy act. Luckily for Melb investors, protected tenancies are a rare thing in Victoria.

So yes, there are situations where one can own a property and not be able to boot out a tenant just because you want to sell the house with vacant possession. A rare situation indeed. Never heard of it happening in Frankston until now. Must be the only one.

HAPPY EASTER everyone. Tenants, Landlords, even all you real estate agents, including my erudite mate Tooney.

{Edit - thread split, new thread here - Sim'}

Last edited by a moderator:
Back