Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

Good property managers in Frankston to recommend?

Hi,

A friend of mine has an investment property near the FHS zone. She is not very happy with her current property managers (not proactive, doesn't return calls...etc). I think she was originally with another agent but the rental roll got sold to another agent so she's just inherited them.

Does anyone have any recommendation? I've heard that if the properties are listed with Mt. Eliza agents, they tend to get slightly higher rent? Any thoughts?

Anyway, her concern is not so much the rent. She has tenants in it already. But is thinking of changing property managers.

Currently paying 6% fees, 1 week letting fee for new tenants, everything else included in the fee (ie. postage, annual statement, tribunal appearance, monthly statements).

Toni - any recommendations?

I tried a few agencies for my portfolio and have finally ended up at Hocking Stuart in Frankston. I had earlier strongly recommended Andrew Milne R E, however my opinion is that their prop management dept is severely under-resourced. This is off the back of a very large increase in their rental roll in the last 6-12 months.

My reasons of switching over to Hocking Stuart are numerous and the result of at-least over a dozen different issues which were managed very poorly.

I was also getting a couple of PM's every week from the forumites who were using Andrew Milne off the back of recommendations here however were not happy for one reason or the other.

I wouldnt list my prop with any agency outside Frankston (someone mentioned Mt Eliza) since a large number of rental enquiries is through pedestrian traffic, most of which are located around Playne St & Nepean Hwy in Frank CBD.

Harris

I'll echo Harris recommendation of Hocking Stuart in Frankston. They are managing one property in Frankston and one in Seaford and we are very happy with their service.

One of the main reason we choose not to go with Andrew Milne when it was recommended on this forum was their working hours. If your place is on the market for rental, potential tenants have only mon-fri 9:00 5:00 to get keys from the office to go visit your property (it may have change now but that was the situation when I contacted them). On the other hand Hocking Stuart rental dept works 7 days a week, do open for inspection and visits by appointment.

Hi,

good point. I am looking for one too. I seriously think of changing PM for my IPs when the expire time is near. Currently being charge at 6.6% for 2 properties otherwise is 7%. 1 week letting fee for new or existing tenants, not sure what else is excluded but confirmed postage fee is excluded every month. (meaning agent charge me for postage on top of 6.6%)

cheers,

Frankston starts 2008 with a BANG !

any news on harris ? 13 is coming soon.

:)

I wasn't even going to check any activity levels knowing that they would be very poor at this time of the year however then decided to do a quick check.

Very astonished with the result since the activity level in Frankston currently is touching the level witnessed in April/ May last year when it was at its highest.

I incorporated quite a few outer suburbs to compare against Frankston and here are the results:

Melton - 24 prop sold against 200 listings

Dandenong - 20 sold against 107 listings

Werribee - 38 sold against 200 listings

Lilydale - 24 sold against 92 listings

Craigieburn - 7 sold against 193 listings..!

Cranbourne - 9 sold against 200 lisitings..!

and

Frankston - 74 sold against 200 listings

Now, this is simply an activity test and doesnt mean that the prop values have started increasing significantly in Frankston again. This is simply to show what transpired last year. Increased buyers activity around Jan/ Feb last year leading to intense activity around March - July period and values shooting up during that time quite significantly.

Whilst there are mitigating factors like interest rate rise and fears of US recession, the sentiment with the new freeway (opening around June) and a number of new projects and still under-valued property for a beach side suburb, the momentum should generate higher activity levels and (perhaps) sharper rise in values this year compared to last year.

My optimistic opinion is based on 3 critical factors,

1- Demonstratable sales activity levels

2- Affordability factor (for a beach side suburb)

3- Connectivity (with Eastlink)

Almost all property pundits (barring a couple) have Frankston in their commentary as one of the best suburbs for 2008 for increasing values.

I can assert very confidently that if this activity trend continues, the probability of rising values in Frankston is more significant this year than it was last year. The ripple effect that started around Brighton has travelled all the way down south to Aspendale/ Edithvale over the last year and should keep driving values up along the beach corridor (otherwise there will be too big of an anomaly in prop values).

I see 2008 as the watershed for Frankston corridor, however very surprised at how quickly in the year the activity levels have cranked up !

Harris

As a caveat, this is my personal opinion and not an investment advice. I have a large portfolio in Frankston and hence significant vested interests. I suggest proper Due Dilligence for all and sundry wishing to invest in Frankston.

I was using Andrew Milne R/E on recommendation from this forum, but I too have just switched agents as they are definately under resourced. If I had have had Cathy maybe things would have been different (who knows). So far I'm happy with the new agents I have chosen (eview in Station Street, Frankston).

sq

Hi guys
I'm just wanting to check what the boundaries for the Frankston High School Zone are. I'm interested in buying a property on the crn of "The Ridge" and "Kars St", and am wanting to make sure that it is the the FHSZ. I'm pretty sure that it is, but was wanting to check it out definatively. Does any one know, or can direct me to where i can find out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :)

Hi guys
I'm just wanting to check what the boundaries for the Frankston High School Zone are. I'm interested in buying a property on the crn of "The Ridge" and "Kars St", and am wanting to make sure that it is the the FHSZ. I'm pretty sure that it is, but was wanting to check it out definatively. Does any one know, or can direct me to where i can find out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :)

Could be located at http://www.fhs.vic.edu.au/ otherwise give them a call.

Thanks for that. Assuming that the map on that site is a map of all areas included as the zone, then this property is definately in the FHSZ.

Thanks for that. Assuming that the map on that site is a map of all areas included as the zone, then this property is definately in the FHSZ.

I don't know where exactly your property is but if it is close to the borders of the FHSZ, I would suggest you look into it further, in case of future rezoning, as Toni has pointed out in the past. Of course, it might be difficult to find out exact details, but I guess if your property is closer or in the middle of the zone area, then it's unlikely it will get 'chopped' off.

By the way - thanks to others for the feedback on property managers. I will pass on the details to my friend.

I went to the Sea Festival on saturday my kids and my sister and her kids. We did the sand sculpting(spelling ???) and sea festival. The sand sculpting was good. International representation and great castles. Very good.

I was a little disappointed with the Sea Festival. If it was not for the crappy carnival rides there was nothing there. Honda was about the only corporate citizen there and they were selling motor bikes.

There were some "I love Fankston" council reps floating around. They were giving away little momentos with "Frankston - Alive! Project! - revitalising our city centre" on the side. I told them i was sick of hearing the crap i get from my colleagues in the city. So they gave me two. Guess what it was.

A portable ashtray you clip to your belt with the words on the other side "I WANT YOUR BUTT"

I really think these guys at Frankston city council need BETTER advise. They need to get the mornington peninsula wineries, craft stalls and produce farmers for starters at the festival. There was no stalls.

I did enjoy the fireworks at 9:45pm. But could the cost of this, be better allocated elsewhere.

It was disappointing and more needs to be done. Any other thoughts on this?

@toony - Some advice? Yeah, stay away from Frankston if you are not happy with it :mad:!

I know a number of people who volunteered at the Sea Festival and put a huge amount of work in. Frankston is definitely on the way up, you only need to look at the number of posts on this topic and that stats regarding growth in Frankston.

I went to the festival on Sunday and enjoyed it immensely. Judging by the crowd and the general feeling I got, so did almost everyone else.

Dont get me wrong. I too enjoyed it and see the positives in Frankston. My family live in Frankston. I thought maybe more could be done ( I went a few years ago and thought it was better) and as a council dont give away cigarette ashtrays.

My friend informed me that last year, the council budget for the event was $150,000. This year it was $50,000. Pretty hard for the event to be as good as past years with 1/3 the budget.

Time for a quick dose of stats...!

On 4th of April 2007, I queried frankston (houses only) for prop under $300k. It came up with 103 results, out of which 64 were available (unsold).

Repeated the exercise today and it returns only 15 houses that are available.

I would give it till June (completion of eastlink) before the search results would only show t/house or aprtments and none of the houses for sub $300k range.

Having said that, I dont believe that the prop values has moved up significantly from pre-election level. Its just the activity that has picked up and appears to be in over drive.

Harris

Harris, i have been looking at around frankton, and house have been snapped up in couple of days listing, especially around 300 to 340k, while the one that i have looked at (kars st), still sitting there. probably asking too much ? anyway... i will keep looking...

Harris, i have been looking at around frankton, and house have been snapped up in couple of days listing, especially around 300 to 340k, while the one that i have looked at (kars st), still sitting there. probably asking too much ? anyway... i will keep looking...

Stay away from the one in Kars street. It's in a hole...

what is wrong with kars st ? a couple of people that i talk to praising it the best street in the frankston south ?

I think Bludger is referring to a specific property on Kars St available for sale which is in a dip (sort of).

Kars St otherwise is a beautiful part of Frankston South.

Back