Purchasing in VIC - Frankston Area

Thanks!

Any idea if Ashleigh Ave is a good part of Frankston?

Is buying on a round about a bad idea?

I live in Frankston and have done so for about the last 5 years or so. I have many friends in the area and have been associated with the area for the last 15 years or so of my life. In my opinion there are a lot nicer areas than where Ashleigh Ave is situated. In saying that though there are also a number of areas that are not as nice. Personally if i were looking to buy in Frankston i would be looking toward Frankston South at the moment. I believe there are some good properties at reasonble prices that can be picked up there.

The end of the day it depends on what you can afford and whether the individual property is a good purchase. Rental returns are around 4-5% in that area from my experience (happy to be proven wrong though!).
Cheers.

Thanks!

Any idea if Ashleigh Ave is a good part of Frankston?

Is buying on a round about a bad idea?

Hi AB, some od my observations for you to mull over :-

Ashleigh Ave is -
* Moderately busy road with speed humps and buses
* Runs from Beach St to Skye Road (Country Golf Club)
* Property values average 250K +/- 20K, renovaters
delight 210-220K, modern townhouses 350K
* Generally tree lined with parks
* Houses varies from eye candy to eye sore
* Huge regentrification influx over the last five years
* Apparently Frankston East Primary is a excellant school
* General street atmosphere appears to have a civil
ambience with no signs of unsavory charactors
* House blocks generally vary from min 500sqm to
950sqm.

Hope this helps
SS

How about burns st frankston there is a property on about 600sqm for $280000.00, older style 2 bdr house with self contained bungalow needs a little work though

How about burns st frankston there is a property on about 600sqm for $280000.00, older style 2 bdr house with self contained bungalow needs a little work though

This isn't by any chance the house where the woman was shot and killed earlier this year is it? Is it in the Frankston Hosptial end of burns st or the other end? Just wondering is all.

hey people, stumbled across this site a few days ago and kinda hooked on it and great site!
basically i got my first IP when i was 18 (5 years ago in frankston) and basically looking at getting another one rather soonish just asking to see do people believe its an alright time to buy now and if so which area?
hoping to get something 250 and under in the langwarrin frankston area pref not frank north
any help would be much appreciated :)

hey people, stumbled across this site a few days ago and kinda hooked on it and great site!
basically i got my first IP when i was 18 (5 years ago in frankston) and basically looking at getting another one rather soonish just asking to see do people believe its an alright time to buy now and if so which area?
hoping to get something 250 and under in the langwarrin frankston area pref not frank north
any help would be much appreciated :)

Hi Soulfly, Do you still own that ip? I bought two of mine 5 years ago, which have made so far around $150 each. I personally would stick as close to the beach as possible.

Beach side suburbs do tend to do better in the long run. You should be able to get a prop in Frankston East/Karingal for that price. It's really just a matter of getting in there and having ago.

Toni

What do you guys think would be the better investment

1 Bedroom Apartment in Caulfield right near the Train Station $200-$230k
or
3 Bedroom brick home in Karringal for $240-$250k???

This will be my first property purchase

I'm a little unsure.
Thanks!

What do you guys think would be the better investment

1 Bedroom Apartment in Caulfield right near the Train Station $200-$230k
or
3 Bedroom brick home in Karringal for $240-$250k???

This will be my first property purchase

I'm a little unsure.
Thanks!

Flats don't gain as much in the long run. Nothing beats house and land. I bought 2 properties 5 years ago; Prop No. 1. @ $202,000 (3bd, 1 bth Frankston South - now worth $350,000 approx) and Prop. No. 2. @ $210,000 (5 bdrm, 3 lving, 2 bth, bay glimpses & car accom in Marylands estate, now worth low 400,000). Can you say that this unit has had that same sought of growth over that period of time?

On top of that, you need to factor into this the rental return. Ultimately the decision is yours, but I know which way I would be going.

Toni

Hi Soulfly, Do you still own that ip? I bought two of mine 5 years ago, which have made so far around $150 each. I personally would stick as close to the beach as possible.

Beach side suburbs do tend to do better in the long run. You should be able to get a prop in Frankston East/Karingal for that price. It's really just a matter of getting in there and having ago.

Toni

Hey tony yeah I have still got the IP and slowly paying it off with help of tenet
smartest thing my parents ever made me do was get a property
wow 150 nice!
mine was a cheap "unit" in a complex it gone up about 60k
Basically either side there are massive new blocks of units going up so just going to hold onto it until eventually a developer will want to buy it of me.

I saw an add in local paper - Brand new home in
cranbourne west
233k 3 br, garage, 11sq home without landscaping

would something like that be worth purchasing and renting it out?or steer clear of cranbourne?

Thanks

Hey tony yeah I have still got the IP and slowly paying it off with help of tenet
smartest thing my parents ever made me do was get a property
wow 150 nice!
mine was a cheap "unit" in a complex it gone up about 60k
Basically either side there are massive new blocks of units going up so just going to hold onto it until eventually a developer will want to buy it of me.

I saw an add in local paper - Brand new home in
cranbourne west
233k 3 br, garage, 11sq home without landscaping

would something like that be worth purchasing and renting it out?or steer clear of cranbourne?

Thanks

A unit is a good start. Thank God for parents. Mine made us pay off a block of land in Qld when I was 18 ($50 p/week). Best thing I ever did!

The beauty of a brand new home is that you can depreciate a substantial part of it over 5 years. I have never done this, but I'm sure others of this forum have and would know more about it.

As far as Cranbourne goes, the new homes are built so close together, generally on flat land and there are huge power lines that go right through there. It's further away from the beach. Obviously land scarcity is not a problem there either, which will hinder price growth over the coming years.

I personally would prefer to buy a 3bdrm in Karingal for $250, 5 min from the beach.

Toni

Last edited:
OK tony thanks for the info i don't fully understand the depreciation side of things so i will look into that

I to would prefer to buy either frankston or Langwarrin, just wondering what thoughts were on the cranbourne one, i may even drive past later and check a display home out

Thanks for the help mate:cool:

Toni and Harris know their stuff, particularly when it comes to Frankston, so make sure you pay attention soulfly3 :) The depreciation side of things is *well* worth learning. Worth $13k to me.

Finally, thanks to Toni and Harris (and everyone else) who keep keeping us up to date with dealings in Frankston. (I have one IP in Frankston South).

Cheers all.

Back