Q? for those of you who self manage...

Hi All,

We broke the golden rule and rented to friends (...pauses to allow your collective gasps :eek: :eek: :eek: ) This has not ever caused us any issues but we would like it to stay that way.

My question is that if when carrying out an inspection, either formally or when just having a cuppa with tenant, you perceive that some minor damage has occurred (i.e missing or torn window screen and accidental but irrepairable damage to carpet) how would you address the situation. Would you be annoyed that they had not informed you of the damage? Would you ask for the damage to be rectified, repaired immediately? Would your handling of this depend on whether they will be long term tenants? (such as they are likely to rent from you beyond the life of the carpet anyway)

I just want to be prepared for how to handle situations like this, if and when they occur. I am house proud, but even I can have an accident and scuff paint on the walls, for example so I think it's unreasonable of me to expect an accident not to occur. How much damage, even accidental should be tolerated? We have a proper lease in place, receive market rent and obtained bond and all insurances etc. They are wonderful people and always pay on time etc.

Just interested to hear your thoughts...

Thank you

Regards Jo

Minor damage is inevitable during a tenancy.

It really only becomes an issue when the tenant vacates. Then everything has to be brought up to scratch.

It usually boils down to personal preference, hubby always does minor repairs immediately, but we have several friends who are happy to let the house fall down around them before having a blitz.

Look at the big picture. So long as the house is being looked after, fair rent paid on time, and issues aren't going to cause more damage, then minor things such as those you mention probably fall under the category of "fair wear and tear" which is allowed under any tenancy.
Marg

Thanks Marg

That's along the lines of how I was thinking. I guess because I have never used a pm wondered how they would manage such issues. Our i.p's are all new builds and I suppose any damage to a newish property would just seem more noticeable.

What does a property manager do when such things are noticed. Note it on their file, notify the landlord or do nothing until cessation of lease?

I have explained to them at the beginning of the tenancy that I wouldn't sweat the small stuff but that I still have to be business like with my approach to the terms of the lease as they ARE a business.

I just wouldn't want to give the impression that I don't care about any damage done (even if accidental) as I wouldn't want to appear as a soft touch. Perhaps I should just tell them that I expect to be notified of any damage as it occurs...

Back