Qantas Club Membership tax deductable?

Well, is it?

I have to fly regularly for work and have had complimentary lounge access for several years (gold/platinum status) but this year was quiet and I'll lose my status.

Having become a "travel snob" I don't want to give up my lounge access so am considering paying for it.

Anyone know if I can at least get something back in my tax return?

Everyone I know who belongs to the Qantas Club claims it as a legitimate expense, so the first year I joined I asked my accountant to include it in my deductions and he advised that I was not entitled.

As I required the space, privacy and facilities provided to carry out my business, and under no circumstances did I join for the free drinks, nibbles and early boarding calls, ;) I claimed anyway, and never had a problem with the ATO.

See ATO Interpretative Decision ATO ID 2002/957

Most areas of life I am quite prepared and often find it more enjoyable and preferable to rough it, but air travel is one time I want to be comfortable as possible.

These days thanks to the C.U.B. phenomenon, members' clubs don't really have the air of snobbery and class that they once enjoyed, however anyone who believes Australia is a class-less society obviously doesn't fly much.

Cheers,
Beef.

We have always claimed them, although in recent years due to extensive business travel, we have had Platinum and gold, so free membership. The clubs are starting to become a little overcrowded now though. As for Perth, hard to even get a seat.

Hmmm... on reading BH's explanation I can see that working.

I can get a good corporate rate but most of my flying is Perth-Mel so yeah what's the point if you can't get a seat.

Unless you are flying business class or have entry to the new "premium" lounges, I would seriously reconsider Qantas Club membership.

The basic lounges are overcrowded, and last time we were in Perth people were actually sitting on the floor! In Perth there was a scrum every time food came out, mostly bare platters. In Brisbane/Sydney/Melbourne the food is always the same, rather boring and very slow to have the platters replaced until the very last little bit of limp lettuce is gone. I once saw a man gather up all the dregs on to a plate and simply put the plate on a clear-away trolley. Only then was more food brought out.

Very few magazines, and you are lucky to get a newspaper.

Hubby's work pays for his membership, but if they stop there is no way we would pay hundreds of dollars for it, even if it was tax deductible.

And under the present tax system you can claim anything you like and you don't have to prove anything. Until an audit......
Marg

Ha ha,

So all those that claim the QC membership fee obviously are intending to declare the $ value of their FF points..............not. :rolleyes:

ciao

Nor

The basic lounges are overcrowded, and last time we were in Perth people were actually sitting on the floor! In Perth there was a scrum every time food came out, mostly bare platters.
Yep, that was exactly our experience. Especially on a 'change shift' day at the mines. Big men everywhere and they eat lots of food. And take up lots of space.

IF you fly Business, it woudl be deductable.

On crowded Qantas, simple...Fly Virgin.

I do and enjoy very large lounges in Syd and Melb. Never a shortage of seats, drinks, food etc. and , I know, they staff try harder and friendlier.

And as I travel so much (syd-melb) I class the check in staff as mates and have been rewarded many times with compliemtary services/seats in return.

Also, Virgin allow complimentary guest - no charge. So when wife and daughter fly - they get in free. Quantas charges - associate membership. Last time - the girls on reception took Daughter for 1hr as she sat with them at the counter and helped with the PC. She loved it and no-one grumbled.

Some advice, Virgin is a no snob world. If you want a feeling of "exclusivity" it may not suit. It is still restricted but atmosphere is friendly and courteous and equal.

FYI Peter

I got a letter in the post today from Qantas.

Something like: "We notice your gold is about to expire. Due to your loyalty over the last few years we'll extend it for another 12 months."

So problem solved! :D

I got the same letter after 7 yrs as Platinum, then again after 2 yrs as Gold. Now Im down to Silver and work pays my QC membership instead. They are pretty generous first yr you drop your flights but then its a downward spiral.....lol. Still, I spend a decent amount of time in the QC so its worth having in my point of view.

Unless you are flying business class or have entry to the new "premium" lounges, I would seriously reconsider Qantas Club membership.

The basic lounges are overcrowded...
If you are flying business class, then you automatically have complimentary lounge access.

I disagree and think lounge access is worth every cent if you fly enough. It really depends on what times you fly as to how crowded the lounges get. Also depends on which ones you visit - I am looking forward to seeing the new Cairns one in a few weeks.

Also, Virgin allow complimentary guest - no charge. So when wife and daughter fly - they get in free. Quantas charges - associate membership.
Qantas also allows a guest at no charge - As a Gold member, I brought my wife & daughter into the Sydney lounge a few weeks ago.

I agree with some others here that you would question the value of QC membership. Fortunately I don't pay for it, but if that situation changed, I wouldn't bother renewing.

In fact most cases now I don't even bother going into the QC when flying. There are more seats available in the gate lounge than in the club at peak times, you can actually get a newspaper (free) to read in the gate lounge as opposed to the QC, and you get on the plane sooner so don't have the hassle of finding a spot in the overhead compartment for your hand luggage, because there is heaps of room.

My hubby flies frequently (Platinum) and he thinks the standards of the lounges have fallen consderably in the last 12 months; that, along with the crappy food onboard means that he arrives home at 9pm very hungry because you can no longer get more than just a cheese and biscuit in the lounges (and the vultures take everything else) and there is a limit to the number of cold rolls and muffins you can eat onboard.

People who fly a lot, also usually fly when the flights and club lounges are the most heavily used, so not sure how your argument works Yo-yo ma!

Back