QBCC is as bad as BSA

I had a difficult time dealing with Queensland Building Services Authority (QBSA) for two years. I was a bit optimistic when I heard that the QBSA was going to be dismantled. I thought the new organisation, Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC), which has replaced QBSA, would do things differently.

Three weeks ago I lodged a complaint against a dodgy tradie. I have found that the new building watchdog is as bad as BSA when handling my complaint. I now have realised that the staff of the QBCC is the same as old QBSA. QBCC has 100% inherited the "unprofessional organisational culture" from the BSA. Nothing has changed at QBCC except the name of the organisation. The QBSA was not dismantled at all.

In early 2013, a parliamentary committee found evidence pointing to an "unprofessional organisational culture" within the BSA and the committee recommended the "firewalling" of a new authority's functions to ensure transparency and accountability.

I wonder if anyone here has dealt with the QBCC yet.

Last edited:
I had a difficult time dealing with Queensland Building Services Authority (QBSA) for two years. I was excited when I heard that the QBSA was going to be dismantled. I thought the new organisation, Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC), which has replaced QBSA, would do things differently.

Three weeks ago I lodged a complaint against a dodgy landscaper. I have found that the new building watchdog is as bad as BSA when handling my complaint. I now have realised that the staff of the QBCC is the same as old QBSA. Nothing has changed except the name of the organisation and the QBSA was not dismantled at all.

I wonder if anyone here has dealt with the QBCC yet.

No- but I expected such an outcome:

"We trained hard, but it seemed that everytime we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization." Petronius Arbiter, Roman Satirist

Sort of on point.

I was dealing with the BSA 6 months ago and they tried to avoid helping me, now I'm going to try again threw the abc and when I called the exact same people are there with the same views.

I was dealing with the BSA 6 months ago and they tried to avoid helping me, now I'm going to try again threw the abc and when I called the exact same people are there with the same views.

I am very disappointed with the QBCC.

Two years ago I lodged a complaint to BSA. An inspector of BSA came out and did an inspection. He identified multiple construction defects, including Cat 1 defects. He then closed my complaint without knowing whether the defects had been rectified or not. I made several complaints about his behaviour, right up to the General Manager Ian Jannings who then basically covered up for his staff.

Three weeks ago I lodged the defect complaint again. Since then an officer has been calling me, wanting to dismiss my complaint. He said the defect had been rectified by the tradie and there are no more defects. I said to him that the recent photos clear showed the existence of defect and he cannot deny the existence of the defect. Today he rang several times, trying to use new excuses to dismiss my complaint.

I now try not to discuss issues with people at QBCC on the phone if they ring me. Instead I ask them to email me because one of the inpector lied about the phone conversation. If you have problems with the QBCC, I strongly suggest you do the same.

I am ready to tell my whole story to the Media.

Last edited:
QBCC is as bad as QBSA

No- but I expected such an outcome:

"We trained hard, but it seemed that everytime we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralization." Petronius Arbiter, Roman Satirist

Sort of on point.

I just googled and found some comments made by the readers of the Courier-Mail in relation to replacing QBSA with QBCC:

(1) R James of Sunshine Coast Posted at 5:32 PM May 29, 2013 on the Courier-Mail:

"We have seen it all before. Wholesale re-organisation. Mammoth cost. Minister gets a few stars. But little, if anything will change. The consumer will be no better off . The taxpayer will be worse off . But, who in the government is concerned about the taxpayer? It seems to me they are just going about an elaborate shuffling of the cards and putting their hands in our pockets to pay for it all. What's new?"

(2) Paul Keating of Aspley Posted at 1:25 PM May 29, 2013 on the Courier-Mail:

"As someone who has dealt with them for years 99% of the QBSA legislation is fine, its some of the people in there handling these matters that is the issue. I would urge the government to look at two things to encourage better performance in there around especially disputes namely: (1) have highly skilled professionals as being the internal point of review separate from
the current organisation; (2) have highly skilled external solicitors / barristers reviewing the management of litigation files and ensuring that model litigant principles are being adhered to. These have to be external people otherwise they are at risk of falling into the performance standards and issues that cloud the organisation's decisions they are reviewing."

(3) KurtM Posted at 9:00 AM May 29, 2013 on the Courier-Mail:
"They also previously changed the useless CJC (Criminal Justice Commission) to the even more useless & incompetent CMC (Crime and Misconduct Commission). New name, new paint job, same incompetent government bureaucratic windbag failures doing absolutely nothing positive and useful. If they change the BSA (Building Services Authority) to the new QBCC (Queensland Building and Construction Commission) then what do you think will happen, thats right, absolutely nothing. Again, it will be just a new name, new paint job, same incompetent government bureaucratic failures but they will all take the opportunity to award themselves massive position upgrades on double their previous government salaries. Fat cat government bureaucrats just love restructuring for this very reason, more money for continuing to be a complete failure."

As predicted by these people, what Newman's governman did was simply rebranding the notorious QBSA.

Last edited:
The dodgy tradie has become a repeat offender because of inaction of the BSA. Last year a developer became a victim of the dodgy tradie. The dodgy tradie is now protected by the QBCC.

Last edited:
Incompetent government organization

We have had an 18month fight with these fools. It has cost us 40k in legals. All because a. Incompetent tradie over poured our slab to in excess of twice the approved height. Put all the posts in the wrong place and no rio in the 2m high block wall. The 3 quotes for non completion were done and the cheapest was $100k more than our original build costs. The loss of height in our architecturally designed plans have meant the BSa approved builder has quoted to relight the house at a quote seven times that of another tradie. We are sick of legal costs and dealing with deadshits in the QBCC office

Regardless of whether it is the QBCC, BSA, OFT or which ever reincarnation, they are all toothless tigers when it comes to getting an outcome.

Unless the builder dies, flees the country or goes bankrupt there is little satisfaction available. The payment made is capped and insufficient.

it's time to deregulate the industry (like the commercial industry) & let participants tough it out in a real court.

Back