QLD granny flat rules

There's presently a review being done by the department of communities to encourage 'secondary dwellings'.

Here's to hoping Brisbane finally gets some clear and helpful rules on granny flats, will be great for investors if they do.

The market only saw the need for this and were building them, 20 years ago.
Who said government is efficient?

Eventually, they'll also wake up that if they want the population to increase 50% in the next 20 years, and retain some greenery, buildings will have to be higher, and demolition control will have to be relaxed aggressively. Wooden Qld'ers weren't designed or built to last 200+ years.

Buying around satellite hubs to pre-empt zoning changes would be a reasonable strategy, over the next 10 years.

I heard a decision would be made in July of this year in regards to QLD granny flat rules..

If they are given the go ahead would they be similar to what NSW has?? I.e minimum site area 450sq and total floor area of 60sq?

I heard a decision would be made in July of this year in regards to QLD granny flat rules..

If they are given the go ahead would they be similar to what NSW has?? I.e minimum site area 450sq and total floor area of 60sq?
The decision might not be that fast, would make sense they look at the NSW experience and copy that, pretty much anything would be an improvement though!

Brisbane City council already has granny flat, comes under secondary dwelling in the house code. Max 70m2 within 20m of main dwelling

Brisbane City council already has granny flat, comes under secondary dwelling in the house code. Max 70m2 within 20m of main dwelling

Is that 70m total ground area or living area, for example could you have a 2 story covering 70m2 of land but giving 140m2 of living?

Is this granny flat able to be built on all zonings in Brisbane, 590m2 of low density for example?

70m2 of Gross floor area. Here is the definition for that.

Gross floor area: the total area of all floor levels in the building on the site to which the development relates, measured to the inside of the external walls, including:
• all internal and external stairs, landings, ramps, escalators or other means of access between levels but excluding the area of:
• any lift plant, motor room or air conditioning or other mechanical/electrical plant and equipment room
• any private balcony, where not used as a Restaurant, Shop, Club, Hotel or Nightclub, whether roofed or not. A balcony includes any outdoor space in or
on the building that is a projection from a building, whether or not it is cantilevered or supported partially by posts, braces or columns
• any roof deck, where not used as a Restaurant, Shop, Club, Hotel or Nightclub. A roof deck includes any outdoor space in or on the building that is situated wholly or immediately above an enclosed storey or a storey used for carparking
• any lobby at ground storey level
• all rooms on the ground storey of a residential development associated with landscape and recreation where the total area of these rooms is no more than
5% of the site’s total landscape and recreation area areas used or intended for storage associated with a residential use where on an enclosed level on which carparking is also provided for that residential use no part of which is more than 1m above ground level
• areas used or intended for the parking of motor vehicles, where the parking is incidental to, and necessarily associated with, the use of some premises

Can they be legally rented out to unrelated parties?

I've enquired with Logan City Council last year and was told NO. :(

Thanks ROI
I was thinking this may have been classed as one but it would seem not.
Still not sure how they got it through.

scaled.php

Not unless the other person is related to the first. same GFA and rules apply in Logan except that min block size is 600m2

Thanks ROI
I was thinking this may have been classed as one but it would seem not.
Still not sure how they got it through.

scaled.php

It may well be. It looks like it has decks or verandahs on the house, they are not included in the GFA

Back