Qld Smoke Detectors Testing done by owner

I just got a call from my PM. She informs me because we are signing a new lease with the same tennant th smoke detectors need to be checked ...BY US or someone we PAY.

New lease is considered new tenancy and it is our responsibility.

She has a guy who will do it every new tenancy for just $78 a year, no matter how many tenancy's.... nice little earner if he does it once.

Anyone else come up against this ridicilous crap.

I thought once it was installed it was tenants responsibility ... silly me!!:mad:

I just got a call from my PM. She informs me because we are signing a new lease with the same tennant th smoke detectors need to be checked ...BY US or someone we PAY.

New lease is considered new tenancy and it is our responsibility.

She has a guy who will do it every new tenancy for just $78 a year, no matter how many tenancy's.... nice little earner if he does it once.

Anyone else come up against this ridicilous crap.

I thought once it was installed it was tenants responsibility ... silly me!!:mad:
According to Form 17a RTA Qld - Lessor's obligations
"Testing and replacing batteries - Within 30 days before the start or renewal of tenancy"

Is a pain :(

Cheers,

Bazza

Novar,

pretty common unfortunately - there are a few companies kicking around - Smoke Alarm Solutions is the most well known in Brisbane...

the reason is that PM's will are not qualified legally to check for accurate operation of a smoke alarm - either electrically or as someone who can check if the alarm is functioning other than pressing the test button - that and they have to climb a ladder to do so etc. so there is workplace health and safety issues associated with that.

the companies providing the service also have professional indemnity insurance and their own injury and damage insurances etc so are covered if something goes wrong.

saying all that, yes it is ridiculous that you need to pay 70 odd bucks for somebody to do something so simple - but that is the way this litigious society is going unfortunately!!

cheers:D

Novar,

pretty common unfortunately - there are a few companies kicking around - Smoke Alarm Solutions is the most well known in Brisbane...

the reason is that PM's will are not qualified legally to check for accurate operation of a smoke alarm - either electrically or as someone who can check if the alarm is functioning other than pressing the test button - that and they have to climb a ladder to do so etc. so there is workplace health and safety issues associated with that.

the companies providing the service also have professional indemnity insurance and their own injury and damage insurances etc so are covered if something goes wrong.

saying all that, yes it is ridiculous that you need to pay 70 odd bucks for somebody to do something so simple - but that is the way this litigious society is going unfortunately!!

cheers:D

While technically correct, what a load of bollocks!

PMs in QLD should

a) Upskill
- Aka attend a 3 hour seminar on how to climb a step ladder, press a button, and change a battery.
- they can then proudly display a "certificate of smoke detector safety assurance" in their office

b) Obtain appropriate indemnity and work cover policies
- Of course their current Work Cover and indemnity insurance should cover them for checking appliances and inspecting a house. I'm sure that standing on a 2 foot step ladder is no more dangerous than many properties they visit

c) Use some common sense
- and check the smoke alarm when they do the condition report.

The smart agents should already be doing this to get market advantage

Last edited:
This issue has really been getting up my nose lately with a few of our Qld properties coming up for lease renewal.
I am considering leaving the tenants on a continuing lease, just to get around it, although it does have a few disadvantages (i.e. tenant only needs 2 weeks notice to vacate, but I can work with that as long as rental demand is good).
Once on a continuing lease, there is no lease renewal, so I hope to avoid these silly inspections for as long as possible. I am quite confident in the 5 year life of the batteries the detectors use.
However, I wonder if the rules stipulate a time period (eg annually) for inspections if tenants are on a long lease??

PMs in QLD should

a) Upskill
- Aka attend a 3 hour seminar on how to climb a step ladder, press a button, and change a battery.
- they can then proudly display a "certificate of smoke detector safety assurance" in their office

- Of course their current Work Cover and indemnity insurance should cover them for checking appliances and inspecting a house. I'm sure that standing on a 2 foot step ladder is no more dangerous than many properties they visit

c) Use some common sense

Dis, I am flat out seeing how something can be technically correct and still a load of bollocks. you are entitled to your opinion, but there is no way that i would want to be testing them these days, not with the amount of law suits be thrown around - outsource them!! it protects ALL parties involved in the testing..

the smart agents are outsourcing this so there is no chance of it coming back to bite them in the event of a problem. It also means the tenants are protected as a pro is doing the checks and the same applies to the owner of the property. Many smoke alarms are now hard wired...i certainly would much rather a someone trained to play with 240v check them than some 19yo kid on a step ladder...

pay the 70 bucks - its a tax deduction and you are assured that the person doing the job is trained to be there and knows what they are doing - not just pushing a test button.

current REIQ (yes i know but still) and legal advice is to get a professional to do it.

Seaview to the best of my knowledge there is no time period...but common sense and duty of care would suggest that they be checked regularly (annually??)...i will double check this though.

According to Form 17a RTA Qld - Lessor's obligations
"Testing and replacing batteries - Within 30 days before the start or renewal of tenancy"

So... landlords now have to replace the batteries in the smoke alarms for an existing tenant? Checking the smoke alarm has working batteries at the start of a new tenancy, fair enough. But having to pay someone to come in every 12 months and replace the batteries for an existing tenant is ridiculous. Tenants have to pay for electricity and phone bills, why should landlords have to pay for batteries? In addition the tenant spending $5 or less on batteries, pressing the test button and doing it themselves vs landlord paying $70 for someone to come in and change the batteries does not make for an efficient and productive economy.

It seems the smoke alarm legislation discourages hard wired smoke alarms, because you still have to pay the $70 to "check" the alarm even though it is hard wired and backup batteries should last for years.

Edit: the document posted by yo yo ma stating that tenants are obliged to replace batteries and/or test alarms, is in reality a load of rubbish as most tenancies are 12 months or less and batteries usually last at least 12 months. (no offence to yo yo ma, I realise you didn't write it!)

Last edited:

PMs in QLD should

a) Upskill

c) Use some common sense

This "climbing up a step ladder" crap has been touted as a reason that testing smoke alarms should be outsourced. Just get a 1 metre piece of cane and poke the test button with it. If it doesn't make a loud beeping noise call in an electrician to replace the battery. When I first met my officious PM I was convinced she would be carrying a whole selection of canes in her car for her job on the side.:D

Back