Qld State Govt approves New Logan Planning Scheme. Start in May

Does anyone know if rear lots are allowed different front set backs than front lots?

Seems silly to have a big front setback on a rear lot?

Brisbane City allow 3m setback for rear lot to boundary of front lot. Logan planning scheme doesn't seem to say. Just retains front setback?

Last edited:
Do you know about infrastructure costs?

In Marsden zones W1 WW1 SW1 T2 P1 total to $33,500 for infrastructure.

I don't understand the infrastructure discount. Do you get a discount for 1 to 2 lot sub division if you tap off the existing sewerage of the existing house?

It says no infrastructure costs payable on dual occupancy (ancillary unit). So if I sub divide 1 existing into a two and dual both, I should only have to pay 1x infrastructure.

Hi Secto,

Sean here from Mark Wilson Design and Build. We have been doing a lot of these types of buildings and investments for clients. I have been telling people to buy in Marsden for a while. A couple of clients were smart enough to actually take our advice. You wouldn't believe that for a short time the draft planning scheme was actually made public for a little while. It gave everyone willing to look at the info to realise the zoning changes and make a bit of money on cheap properties. That is another story however?

On to your issue. In terms of requirements for lot subdivisions look here:

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/...5856/Part-9-Development-codes-version-1.1.pdf

This planning code is actually very simplified compared to the previous one.

You have to have one access strip of 4m, a services width of 0.5m. Min frontage is 15m. Depth to width ratio of 3-1. Rear lot has to be at least 600m2 excluding the access strip. The front lot could be 350m2. Table 9.2.2.3.1 CO4 actually outlines the distances required from existing houses to new boundaries. For your area this is: 4m front, 4.5m back and 1.5m to the side if a single storey, or 2m to the side if a double storey. If you have an access width of 4m and the house is say, only 5m away from the side boundary and a two storey you would have to be 6m away from the boundary (4+2=6). Now, you can apply for relaxation to this rule.

Please note, for every rule, an exception can be made. These rules outlined in these tables are prescriptive outcomes. They are the lowest form of planning guidelines.

Of course, your case will need to actually be valued on its merits. Depending on the actual lot, you may be able to get 3 lots out of it for 6 rental incomes, or just 2 lots for a potential 4 incomes.

If you have other questions you can email myself at [email protected] or talk to another qualified person. Our QBCC Lic# 1017931 if you want to check it out.

does anyone know if the 70sqm granny flat also has bedroom restrictions? Ie can it be a 3 bedroom, ignoring concern on size of rooms or living area?

Yes it is now in the definitions of an auxiliary unit. It is a bit stupid since they defined bedroom as being any enclosed room capable of being used for sleeping accommodation.

There are a LOT of holes in their definitions. Even in the definition of a household. They did not define long term. The only thing that is long term is the opposite of short term. This is found in the short term accommodation definition which is ideally 3 months. Essentials for living also has not been defined either. Note how it says 'groceries OR other essentials for living'.

Say, you have one water meter and you have a sub meter. You are both paying for an essential for living - water. Or how about rates? A secondary dwelling is not separately rated. So therefore both tenancies are paying for the bins, the sewerage? The list honestly goes on. IF the council did not want to have separate tenancies they would have just said it. But thats no fun now is it? :p

Hi Secto,

You have to have one access strip of 4m, a services width of 0.5m. Min frontage is 15m. Depth to width ratio of 3-1. Rear lot has to be at least 600m2 excluding the access strip. The front lot could be 350m2. Table 9.2.2.3.1 CO4 actually outlines the distances required from existing houses to new boundaries. For your area this is: 4m front, 4.5m back and 1.5m to the side if a single storey, or 2m to the side if a double storey.

That table confuses me because it says "Other than Dual occupancy or Dwelling house". What if existing builds are simply dwelling houses?

That table confuses me because it says "Other than Dual occupancy or Dwelling house". What if existing builds are simply dwelling houses?

Oh, Ok well in that case QDC MP 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 applies.

QDC 1.1 is for lots under 450m2. So if the front block is under 450m2 you have to comply with that.

QDC 1.2 is for lots over 450m2. So if the front block is over 450m2 use that as your guide.

QDC 1.3 is for the front lot if the front lot has a dual occupancy/duplex.

So it makes it actually super super easy if the front block just has a dwelling house.

Edit: If you need help with it just email me at [email protected]

does anybody have any contacts for affordable handymen who are good at structural stuff, mainly fixing a few roof trusses etc./

Back