(ii) Small acreage precinct; or
10 metres in the:
(i) Environmental management and
conservation zone;
(ii) Rural zone.

9.3.1 Dwelling house and Dual occupancy code

Site cover
A Dwelling house or Dual occupancy has a site
cover compatible with adjoining premises.
A Dwelling house or Dual occupancy (auxiliary
unit) has a maximum site cover of:
40 per cent in the Low density residential
zone?Large suburban precinct;
35 per cent in the Low density residential
zone?Small acreage precinct;
20 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is greater,
in the Low density residential zone?Acreage
precinct;
in the Rural residential zone:
(i) 20 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is
greater, in the Park living precinct or
Park residential precinct; or
(ii) 10 per cent or 700m2 , whichever is
greater, in the Carbrook precinct or
Cottage rural precinct;
10 per cent or 700m2
, whichever is greater,
in the Emerging community zone,
Environmental management and
conservation zone or Rural zone.

Yeah, I saw that, Sequin, but it is 'silent' on low density residential - suburban precinct and a few other precincts for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit). It doesn't specify side and rear setbacks for low density residential - suburban, large suburban, village or small lot precinct for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) where the majority of auxiliary units will be built.

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/about-c...otential-set-to-soar-with-new-planning-scheme

Logan's Potential Set To Soar With New Planning Scheme

Published: 23 April 2015

Planning Scheme 2015 in early May.

I was snoozing. Totally missed this news! Nearly offloaded a 719sqm corner property i bought 6 months ago at almost cost a few weeks ago! Thought Labor govt would never move on it so quick. Glad i didn't sell. Now will look for a 20k markup :)

just worried rent could be affected at my other Logan properties if all jumped into aux units or duplex immediately!

Yeah, I saw that, Sequin, but it is 'silent' on low density residential - suburban precinct and a few other precincts for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit). It doesn't specify side and rear setbacks for low density residential - suburban, large suburban, village or small lot precinct for dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) where the majority of auxiliary units will be built.

I am guessing a 45% or 50% for LDR-Suburban. Interesting how they miss it when more than 50% of LCC are LDR-Surburban precinct

Main house 100m2 (85m2 + 15m2 garage)
Aux 85m2 (70m2 + 15m2 garage)
Total 185m2

Say a 200m2 floor space with a 45% site coverage means you need a 450m2
if a 200m2 floor space with a 50% site coverage means you need a 400m2

NSW requires a 450m2, so am guess the max site coverage is 45%

I think this OP covers more than the LCC Draft Planning :p

I have to read this thread a few times to understand what everyone's talking about I think haha. But I just got a 703sqm corner block in Woodridge currently under contract...so I'm excited :p

Congrats. Indeed rare to find 700 corners when u filter the criteria.

For Encarta's 2 blocks of 685m, RR, the number of equivalent dwellings at net density at 28.5 dwellings per hectare (for corner block) = 1.95225
That's very close to 2.0. I remember a Logan Planning telling me that they won't be too mechanistic about the numbers. Or is -15m still a reach too far?

Isn't that where council does an impact assessment? Ie where the land size or zone does not comply with the code but they assess applications for a fee, with no guarantee for success?

Re: logan dual occupancy

If you have a double story. And the bottom level is legal height

Can you rent them out under 2 separate leases with the new rules?

Its shared meter and shared water.

I was thinking:

Internal stairs go direct to existing front door And a new wall would separate this from the bottom level.

Downstairs access via rear sliding door.

Downstairs 3 bdr with kitchenette and shared bathroom + laundry

Upstairs 3 bdr full kitchen, shared bathroom with laundry.

Rent out bottom level $250

Top level $300

Property already has separate parking in a garage that is not joined with the house.

1/4 acre block. Property sits in the middle.

Tenants at top get front half. Tenants on bottom get rear half. Separated by fence.

Its shared meter and shared water.

I was thinking:

Internal stairs go direct to existing front door And a new wall would separate this from the bottom level.

Downstairs access via rear sliding door.

Downstairs 3 bdr with kitchenette and shared bathroom + laundry

Upstairs 3 bdr full kitchen, shared bathroom with laundry.

Rent out bottom level $250

Top level $300

Property already has separate parking in a garage that is not joined with the house.

1/4 acre block. Property sits in the middle.

Tenants at top get front half. Tenants on bottom get rear half. Separated by fence.

You won't get 300 for the top, not quite yet anyway

A dual occupancy would require fire separation, and fire separation of an already built ground/floor is almost impossible if not very expensive that most people walk away.
Separation of a vertical, though expensive, is often achievable.

A dual occupancy would require fire separation, and fire separation of an already built ground/floor is almost impossible if not very expensive that most people walk away.

But logan council already was approving aux units for legal height properties. Isnt fire wall a concern only for separate strata title?

But logan council already was approving aux units for legal height properties. Isnt fire wall a concern only for separate strata title?

Best to check with a Logan planner, SydLad, about the minimum requirements for fire resistant separation that RR is talking about and what that means. You should also check with your building insurance and landlord insurance provider once the new Logan Plan is gazetted in late May.

As the new Logan plan will be very new, I'm quite sure insurance companies will be working out how to cover the auxiliary units. It'll take a bit of time so till then you can rent out your entire house out to a large family on one single lease as I am sure you are doing already.

You can refer to the below para on Pg 18 of the Responses and Submissions when you talk to the Logan planners about the 'self-assessable criteria' and how to turn an existing dwelling within the house into an 'auxiliary unit' that can be rented out separately.

"An Auxiliary unit development (previously known as "dual key") is classified as a "material change of use". This type of development can occur in an existing building provided that building meets the criteria of the relevant codes. Provided an existing granny flat is able to meet the Auxiliary unit self-assessable criteria (and any other applicable planning scheme criteria such as overlays), it could be reclassified as an Auxiliary unit and be rented out separately. No development permit is required if the proposal meets the self assessable criteria". Pg 18

For Encarta's 2 blocks of 685m, RR, the number of equivalent dwellings at net density at 28.5 dwellings per hectare (for corner block) = 1.95225
That's very close to 2.0. I remember a Logan Planning telling me that they won't be too mechanistic about the numbers. Or is -15m still a reach too far?

Isn't that where council does an impact assessment? Ie where the land size or zone does not comply with the code but they assess applications for a fee, with no guarantee for success?

I think Logan will assess it on a case-by-case basis, Holmes, especially as seeing Encarta has 2 blocks in the same boat.

I am guessing a 45% or 50% for LDR-Suburban. Interesting how they miss it when more than 50% of LCC are LDR-Surburban precinct

Main house 100m2 (85m2 + 15m2 garage)
Aux 85m2 (70m2 + 15m2 garage)
Total 185m2

Say a 200m2 floor space with a 45% site coverage means you need a 450m2
if a 200m2 floor space with a 50% site coverage means you need a 400m2

NSW requires a 450m2, so am guess the max site coverage is 45%

I think this OP covers more than the LCC Draft Planning :p

RR, I am beginning to think that Logan CC is making a clear distinction between 'Dual Occupancy' and Dual Occupancy (auxiliary unit) in the LDR zone. What do you think?

Under Part 6 - Zones, where they specify maximum site cover for the various precincts, it is interesting that dual occupancy (auxiliary unit) is not mentioned for 'suburban', 'small lot' and 'village' precincts. 'Dual Occupancy' is mentioned but not 'dual occupancy (auxiliary units). Compare the types of dwelling under 'Suburban' vs ' Large Suburban'

For Low Residential Density (LDR)

in the Large suburban precinct:
(i) land uses comprise:
(A) Caretaker's accommodation, Dual occupancy-auxiliary unit, Dwelling house on a single lot, Home base business, Relocatable home park, Residential care facility Retirement facility or Sales office;

in the Suburban precinct:
(i) land uses comprise:
(A) Caretaker's accommodation, Dual occupancy, Dwelling house on a single
lot, Home base business, Multiple dwelling being townhouses, Relocatable
home park, Residential care facility, Retirement facility or Sales office; or

Development in the Suburban precinct has a
maximum site cover of 50 percent. -
this applies to Caretaker's accommodation, Dual occupancy, Dwelling house on a single lot, Home base business, Multiple dwelling being townhouses, Relocatable home park, Residential care facility, Retirement facility or Sales office - NOTE DUAL OCCUPANCY (AUXILIARY UNIT) is not mentioned as one of the land uses that must adhere to the site cover of 50%. Dual Occupancy in a LDR - suburban precinct must adhere to the maximum site cover of 50% though.

Thanks for the setback answers did speak to lcc and they mentioned 3m from rear as with any type of dwelling

but they did confuse with parking space
they told me i require 2 parking spots but only allowed 1 vehicular crossover

Now the 1 vehicular crossover is fine but cant find where it says i need to have extra parking spots

Probably will call them tomorrow

Granny flat cost

Probably too early to jump on this, but with the 70sqm dual key granny flat allowed - what would it roughly cost turnkey?

Is $100k a good figure to work with?
And rent - $270/week or is that too hopeful?

And would end value simply be current value + granny cost, or actually create equity (in your opinion that is)?

Probably too early to jump on this, but with the 70sqm dual key granny flat allowed - what would it roughly cost turnkey?

Is $100k a good figure to work with?
And rent - $270/week or is that too hopeful?

And would end value simply be current value + granny cost, or actually create equity (in your opinion that is)?

I'm planning on spending 30k and receiving 300 a
Week, retirement will follow very shortly :D

I think Logan will assess it on a case-by-case basis, Holmes, especially as seeing Encarta has 2 blocks in the same boat.

I do hope they are flexible on that front as for 15sqm I wouldn't like a fellow investor to miss out on potential.

I had a property in Rochedale South just shy of 900sqm (in R600 zone). When prices were suppressed I was thinking of a duplex for long term hold. But council had directed me to an impact study when I made an inquiry for dual occupancy.

In the new scheme it was an LMR Apartment zone which I sold last year, that a keen investor pounced on before auction.

If council disallows it (which I hope they don't), Encarta could acquire 16sqm from the neighbours if they have land they can do away with for some cash. Works as far as that small parcel is bought cheaply and survey/legal/duty/council costs etc don't make it uneconomical. Just a suggestion.

Best Strategy for 994m2 corner block

First time blogger and have just discovered these threads as a great source of knowledge. Im a young and green and have purchased a 994m2 corner block in the Logan area looking for best strategic plan to get best bang for buck and full fill its potential. Currently the high set home sits to the side of the block with the full corner block free to use with a minimum of at least 500m2 to play with without impeding on rental property that sits there now. Im aware that the new scheme has what was 900m2 corner block's moved to 1000m2 that can be sub divided. A town planner from LC advised me i would have 12 months from when new scheme is in place to make it easier for sub division to to be accepted. I was not wanting to do the project for a few years time but do have concerns if i leave it i may miss out? Surely being so close to new requirements this would get over the line but not sure if these things happen like that.
I have read with interest from RetireRich101 and Beanie Girl about trying to do a duel occ with another dwelling without putting on 2 titles so i save money on subdivisions and council rates. I understand a auxillery unit can only be up to 70m2 maybe 100m2 in my case but do i have scope to put a larger dwelling on this site without the extra costs?
I have a few of options if this is not the case
1.Subdivide ($60,000-$70,000)and sell land. Land Value $180,000
2.Subdivide and put on a 4bed 2 bath house $190,000+SD $70,000
Total $260,000 Rent $420 (market value $360-$380,000)
3.Subdivide and put on a duel key 3bed2bat/2bed1bath $260,000+Sd$70,000
Total $330,000 Rent $620 (market value $440,000)
4.Granny flat $120,000est
Rent $290
5. Subdivide and relocatable home $60,000 +SD$70,000
Total $130,000 Rent $330

Would love to have some advice on what would work best for me. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I was also like some advice on if i was to subdivide if i should have a matter of urgency on this issue due to changes with scheme.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Back