Qld State Govt approves New Logan Planning Scheme. Start in May

So what if the auxiliary unit has no laundry, would one covered + uncovered space be enough?

If an ancillary unit has no laundry, then it is not considered a "dwelling" as a "dwelling" must have 'clothes washing facilities'. Hence, one covered + one uncovered space is enough and this is for the primary dwelling.

However, if you are to add a laundry to the unit it could still be classified as a secondary dwelling as long as it is used by members of the same household. Hence no requirements for extra car spaces, fire separation or extra rates.

The key is understanding the definition of 'household'

If an ancillary unit has no laundry, then it is not considered a "dwelling" as a "dwelling" must have 'clothes washing facilities'. Hence, one covered + one uncovered space is enough and this is for the primary dwelling.

However, if you are to add a laundry to the unit it could still be classified as a secondary dwelling as long as it is used by members of the same household. Hence no requirements for extra car spaces, fire separation or extra rates.

The key is understanding the definition of 'household'

So if an ancillary unit has no laundry then only one covered and one uncovered car space would be required and it could be rented by unrelated party.

Id just have the wachine machine hooked up in the kitchen or bathroom (not formally) as with 70m2 putting a a full laundry would be pushing it

A household is defined in the definitions of the planning scheme, SC1.2, page 43 as:

An individual or a group of two or more related or unrelated people who reside in the dwelling, with the common intention to live together on a
long-term basis and who make common provision for food or other
essentials for living.

A Dual Occupancy that is an auxiliary unit differs from a secondary dwelling
in that the two dwellings in a Dual occupancy that is an auxiliary unit may be occupied by different households. A secondary dwelling must be occupied by persons who form one household with the main dwelling.

So if an ancillary unit has no laundry then only one covered and one uncovered car space would be required and it could be rented by unrelated party.

Id just have the wachine machine hooked up in the kitchen or bathroom (not formally) as with 70m2 putting a a full laundry would be pushing it

So technically yes, an ancillary unit that has no laundry or even a laundry could be occupied by an unrelated party or parties as long as the persons form one household with the main dwelling. The ancillary unit that has a laundry is known as a secondary dwelling as long as it is occupied by related or unrelated persons who form one household with the main dwelling. Then only one covered and one uncovered car space would be required for the primary dwelling.

For a secondary dwelling, there are no requirements for extra car spaces, fire separation or extra rates.

A Dwelling House (Secondary Dwelling) must only be
occupied by persons who form one household with the main
dwelling. They may be constructed under a Dwelling House,
be attached to a Dwelling House or be free standing (beside or behind)

Regarding services (electricity and water meters)

This is what the Logan Fact Sheet on Auxiliary Units and Secondary Dwellings state:

Auxiliary units may have separate meters
Secondary dwelling should not have separate service meters

So Logan City Council doesn't force you to have separate meters for auxiliary units
and if a secondary dwelling already has separate meters, it's no big deal, it's not prohibited

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/__data/...o-Auxiliary-Units-and-Secondary-Dwellings.pdf

I am trying to understand Low Density Residential Suburban with dual occupancy auxillary unit. This is what I have worked out so far:

Low Density Residential Suburban:
-You can subdivide down to 500sqm average blocks with 350sqm minimum block.
-You need 15m frontage on a block, or a 4m access strip.
-You can cover 50% of the block with building.

Dual Occupancy (auxillary unit) in LDR Suburban:
-There is NO density requirements, so a corner block gains you nothing special.
-Auxillary unit can be 2 bedrooms max, but cannot be made in front yard.
-The unit can be 70sqm (or 100sqm if the block is >= 1000sqm).
-Unit and house can be individually rented, but they are one title.

I personally have a former R2000 block (1500sqm) that is now LDR suburban (WIN!!). The existing house is in the middle of the block. So I can do this:
-Subdivide off the front yard to its own 500sqm block, creating a 1000sqm rear block.
-Build a 170sqm house + 70sqm unit on the 500sqm block. Rent both out.
-Build a 100sqm unit on the rear block, rent it separately to the house.

I believe I can do all that for $450k. It should gain me at least $800/wk in extra rent, so a yield of 9.2%. Very nice.

The only part that I am unsure about is: What would the sale price be? Since each block would have two rental incomes probably making $600/wk each, is it reasonable to believe that each would sell for $450k?

Also are any of my assumptions above wrong? It seems insane that I can put a 3 bedroom house and a 2 bedroom unit on a 500sqm block in 'low density' zone.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that the overlays are extremely generous. For example houses in marsden that flooded just the other month are not even in the flood overlay zone.... I wouldn't trust it for making sure you are building out of flood prone areas.

Last edited:
I personally have a former R2000 block (1500sqm) that is now LDR suburban (WIN!!). The existing house is in the middle of the block. So I can do this:
-Subdivide off the front yard to its own 500sqm block, creating a 1000sqm rear block.

I believe I can do all that for $450k. It should gain me at least $800/wk in extra rent, so a yield of 9.2%. Very nice.

Also are any of my assumptions above wrong? It seems insane that I can put a 3 bedroom house and a 2 bedroom unit on a 500sqm block in 'low density' zone.

Secto, do you know what your precinct is, is it 'large suburban'?
Usually it's the R600 blocks that get zoned 'low density residential' 'suburban' precinct. From memory, an earlier poster had a R1000 zoning that is now low density residential 'large suburban' precinct.
If you are not sure, PM me your address and I'll find out for you.

Secto, do you know what your precinct is, is it 'large suburban'?
Usually it's the R600 blocks that get zoned 'low density residential' 'suburban' precinct.

I checked here: http://www.loganinteractivemapping.com.au

It is says:
Zone: Low Density Residential
Precinct: Suburban.

Three more houses down and it changes precinct to Large Suburban.

Look around East Marsden area. There are several 1500sqm properties that have gone from R2000 to LDR Suburban. Only the ones closer to the creek are Large Suburban. It looks like only those effected by flood overlay are Large Suburban, the others are just Suburban.

Does that mean I can sub divide?

Also I don't understand density requirement. Can I put 3bed house plus 2 bed auxiliary unit on the 500sqm block? This is beyond 20 dwellings per hectare, but it doesn't seem auxiliary unit has such a limit? I am looking to maximise rent and hold properties very long term.

Last edited:
Are you in Loganholme, Secto?
There was a big kerfuffle amongst residents because of impending zoning changes. Some blocks were going to be rezoned for high density and higher heights and some residents were up in arms.

No, I'm in Marsden.

Some builders are already selling dual occupancy auxiliary houses on 500m^2 blocks, asking $500,000! Claiming $750/wk combined rent. I think I could put the same thing in my front yard for $250k plus sub divide costs.

Where is RetireRich101 when you need him? :D

I believe all your assumptions are correct if you are Low Density Residential Suburban precinct, Secto.
There is no minimum lot size for an auxiliary unit to be built on a lot.
So yes, looks like you can build those dual occupancy - main dwelling + auxilliary unit (fire rated attached wall) on each 500m lot

Dual Occupancy (auxillary unit) in LDR Suburban:
-There is NO density requirements, so a corner block gains you nothing special.

for aux unit yes (though better access), but for duplex development corner block is ideal. You cant sell aux unit separately but u can sell duplex. Also u r not restricted to 70sqm for duplex.

for aux unit yes (though better access), but for duplex development corner block is ideal. You cant sell aux unit separately but u can sell duplex. Also u r not restricted to 70sqm for duplex.

Yup, corner blocks are special, I think it's 28.5 equivalent dwellings per hectare if it's a corner block and Logan Council goes by equivalent density ratios if you want to develop a corner block.

If it's at least 701m, you can do dual occupancy plus strata title it. I keep wondering if you can subdivide a corner lot 701m+.

Do you know about infrastructure costs?

In Marsden zones W1 WW1 SW1 T2 P1 total to $33,500 for infrastructure.

I don't understand the infrastructure discount. Do you get a discount for 1 to 2 lot sub division if you tap off the existing sewerage of the existing house?

It says no infrastructure costs payable on dual occupancy (ancillary unit). So if I sub divide 1 existing into a two and dual both, I should only have to pay 1x infrastructure.

Where is RetireRich101 when you need him? :D

I believe all your assumptions are correct if you are Low Density Residential Suburban precinct, Secto.
There is no minimum lot size for an auxiliary unit to be built on a lot.
So yes, looks like you can build those dual occupancy - main dwelling + auxilliary unit (fire rated attached wall) on each 500m lot

does anyone know if the 70sqm granny flat also has bedroom restrictions? Ie can it be a 3 bedroom, ignoring concern on size of rooms or living area?

does anyone know if the 70sqm granny flat also has bedroom restrictions? Ie can it be a 3 bedroom, ignoring concern on size of rooms or living area?

The initial Fact sheet came out didn't specify how many room you can have. Later it was included in the definition of auxiliary unit, that you must have max 2 bedroom.
In NSW, the 60m2 max floor space, I have seen 4 bedroom granny flat approved and built.
You can ask LCC if a study/media room :p is allowed in the 70m2 build.

The only part that I am unsure about is: What would the sale price be? Since each block would have two rental incomes probably making $600/wk each, is it reasonable to believe that each would sell for $450k?

The 170m2 main dwelling + 70m2 aux should possible on 500m2. I would recommend attached rather than detached since you need 4 parking space ( maybe a double garage and tandem 2 car space in front of garage. 1 set of Infra fee should be payable for this configuration, but 2 set of council rate.

The existing dwelling + detached 100m2 aux should be possible on the 1000m2. No infra fee should be payable for this configuration.

You should also explore your best use, and check with LCC on the 1000m2:
-- can the 1000m2 be further subdivided into 2 x 500m2
-- if house is smack in the middle, can or is it worth to shift the house to accommodate the subdivision and building
-- instead of 100m2 aux build, consider there is the option to bigger 100m2 full fledged dual occupancy. The Pro is you will a separate title and can sell this new build. The Con is obviously you will need to pay an extra set of infra...

Regarding end value...
I think you will lose value on the existing property, because your now/existing house on 1000m2 is on 'battle axe' block.. You need to look for comparable on the market.

No, I'm in Marsden.

Some builders are already selling dual occupancy auxiliary houses on 500m^2 blocks, asking $500,000! Claiming $750/wk combined rent. I think I could put the same thing in my front yard for $250k plus sub divide costs.

You cant put one in the front yard, only side or rear...

You cant put one in the front yard, only side or rear...

I'll reconfigure the front yard to its own lot, about 500m2.

The back 1000 I can't do much with as there is a house and pool.

I also don't understand the driveway rules. I have 20m frontage , the front yard lot requires minimum 15m frontage. Two blocks out the back would require a 6m drive way, so I can't fit it. One block out back only requires 4m driveway.

However I notice other blocks like mine are split forming rear blocks with no access. They use one driveway down the side. But on the map the drive way area is zoned to the front block. How is that allowed?

Back